Paddy Bradley Suspended for Championship??

Started by SlimShady, April 17, 2007, 02:44:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bogball XV

Quote from: PlayWithTheWind on April 17, 2007, 03:43:01 PM

derry for the back door?????
At least we'll be allowed to play in the back door this year should we trip up unexpectedly before the Ulster final - will ye??

SlimShady

so lads (and Daisy), has the Bellaghy referee submitted his report yet? does anyone on here want to place a bet with me that Bradley doesnt get more than the minimum suspension? for allegedly grabbing the ref after seeing red!

if i was ref his cocky ass would fry, good of the county or not.

saffron sam2

It appears from this report that the alleged assault on the referee, which would rule Bradley out of the Antrim game is not going to make it into the mainstream press.  No mention of it in todays Irish News. A potential cover-up is already beginning.  Shame the lengths these Derry boyos seem to be prepared to go to to ensure a victory over an Antrim team.

Muldoon and Bradley in the dock after straight reds 
Gaelic Games 
By Eamonn O'Hara 

• HOT WATER: Glenullin's Paddy Bradley and Ballinderry's Enda Muldoon (right) will miss the Two of Derry's star forwards, Enda Muldoon and Paddy Bradley, are in hot water with disciplinary chiefs after both were sent off for straight red card offences while playing club football.

Bradley is facing a minimum ban of four weeks for alleged abusive language towards a match referee during Saturday's ACFL Division One clash between Ulster League champions Glenullin and Loup.

Glenullin also had Dermot O'Kane sent off on a straight red card.

In an earlier game, Ballinderry ace Muldoon was given the line against Banagher for alleged striking.

The offences are Category II, and, under Rule 143(b) of the GAA's revised code of discipline, carry suspensions of at least one month. If this proves to be the case, any bans would apply only to club activities, not county.

But the Glenullin v Loup game also ended in uproar. After the final whistle, unsavoury scenes erupted as frustrations boiled over when match referee, Barry Cassidy of Bellaghy, declared the second round league match a draw.

Glenullin disputed the result because the scoreboard showed them to be ahead.

Rows broke out, and there were jostling incidents outside the dressing room area. It was some time allegedly before order was restored.

It is claimed the referee made a genuine error in tallying the teams scores.

An investigation by Derry's Competitions Control Committee (CCC) is ongoing. County officials and individuals from both clubs were contacted yesterday, but declined to comment ahead of the pending CCC hearing.

This is likely to be scheduled before the end of the week.

The referee's report will be central to the investigation and further disciplinary action taken by the CCC, especially over the other alleged incidents following the Glenullin-Loup game.

An allegation that one Loup player required hospital treatment was dismissed as nonsense by an official of his club.

It has been alleged that the referee was jostled and players and supporters were involved in ugly post-match incidents.

If any individual or individuals were to be reported for any offence of a more serious status than Category II, such as minor physical interference of a match official or threatening language or abusive conduct, then bans of 12 weeks and upwards, enforced beyond club level, could apply.

For Glenullin and Ballinderry, the immediate impact of having their star forwards
suspended for a minimum term of four weeks, and in Glenullin's case, two players banned, is that they will sit out the first round of Derry Senior Football Championship.

Ballinderry take on Ballinascreen on May 6 in the opening round robin series, while Glenullin face Lavey on May 7.

A new format for the competition softens the blow as the Derry SFC begins this season with four groups of four clubs playing a guaranteed three games each before the top two teams in each group progress to an open draw
knockout stage.

Minimum suspensions would leave all the players eligible for round two of the qualifiers.

For the GAA in Ulster, the last number of days have not been positive, with the report of incidents at Glenullin following the headline news of violence in Tyrone football last weekend, with fighting involving players and fans forcing a Division One match between Dromore and Ardboe to be abandoned.

Tyrone's CCC are expected to discuss matters arising from the club chaos this week

Would also be interesting if such an incident had happened to Bradley's father during his refereeing career, how he would have handled it.
the breathing of the vanished lies in acres round my feet

SlimShady

Barry Cassidys report would make interesting reading.

derrymad

Saffron Sam2 are you thick.  How is this report indicative of a cover up.  It says exactly what happened. Bradley and Muldoon got reds. There was a alleged jostle on the referee. What else do you want the paper to say.  The word alleged has to be used as part of peoper journalism because if the reporter did not see the incident and it has not yet been confirmed in the referee report, both the reporter and newspaper are left wide open for libel and slander.  A paper cannot just go around printing without hard facts.  I suggest you and slim shady go away and try to hide the passports of a few of your senior stars and you might even win a Tommy Murphy cup game if you do.

saffron sam2

Quote from: derrymad on April 18, 2007, 11:43:38 AM
Saffron Sam2 are you thick.  How is this report indicative of a cover up.  It says exactly what happened. Bradley and Muldoon got reds. There was a alleged jostle on the referee. What else do you want the paper to say.  The word alleged has to be used as part of peoper journalism because if the reporter did not see the incident and it has not yet been confirmed in the referee report, both the reporter and newspaper are left wide open for libel and slander.  A paper cannot just go around printing without hard facts.  I suggest you and slim shady go away and try to hide the passports of a few of your senior stars and you might even win a Tommy Murphy cup game if you do.

It would appear Derrymad from your post that it is, in fact, you, and not me, who is thick.  A few points:

1.  From those who were at the game and who posted on this thread and the Derry thread, it is obvious there was a 'jostle' on the referee.  In theory, the newspaper does not have to use the word alleged; it should be easy to find any number of witnesses to the incident in question.  The IN has used the word 'alleged' for one reason - that they are scared that a cover-up within Derry GAA will mean no witness is prepared to state in a court of law that the incident took place.

2. The referee's report will not be sufficient to prove in a court of law that he was or was not jostled.  Whilst it will be taken as gospel by the GAA, it does not mean that the IN can accept the veracity of the report.  Referees are as open to libel laws as newspapers.

3. I am not sure what peoper journalism is.  If you mean proper, why do you assume that Eamon O'Hara is capable of proper journalism, when he is only just capable of proper sentences.

4.  What is written in a newspaper and proved to be incorrect is libel, not slander.  Libel is written defamation, slander is spoken.

5.  I doubt that the Antrim boys on the planes will be the only ones heading to the states and whilst they may get there before most, you can rest assured that they will be joined by some of their opponents in Casement Park.  Maybe even Mr Bradley - hasn't he gone before.

Unfortuantely, it looks as if there is a concerted effort within certain circles to ensure that Paddy Bradley, regardless of whether or not he is guilty, will not miss a single Derry match.  If that is what people are prepared to do, then I'll take the Tommy Murphy Cup.
the breathing of the vanished lies in acres round my feet

johnneycool

Quote from: saffron sam2 on April 18, 2007, 02:12:28 PM

Unfortuantely, it looks as if there is a concerted effort within certain circles to ensure that Paddy Bradley, regardless of whether or not he is guilty, will not miss a single Derry match.  If that is what people are prepared to do, then I'll take the Tommy Murphy Cup.

If the Derry county board do instigate a cover up to ensure that Bradley does play for Derry they'll not be the first county board to do that, Antrim included

Will Hunting

Didn't Kerry do the same thing with Dara O'Sé before the All-Ireland Final in 2002? Counties protect their star players - rightly or wrongly it happens.

Why are our Antrim posters so interested in this story. Do they not have a teams of their own to worry about... hurling teams or camogie teams or whatever it is they do in Antrim

continuity tug

anyone who hits a referee should get a life ban from the gaa and anyone who tries to cover it up should get a 48 week ban too
if anyone from derry wants to know about cover ups just look at bloody sunday

Man In Middle

"if anyone from derry wants to know about cover ups just look at bloody sunday"

FFS did I miss something here or are you tring to draw a comparison between a scuffle in glenullin to bloody sunday?  :P

Man In Middle

"anyone who hits a referee should get a life ban from the gaa and anyone who tries to cover it up should get a 48 week ban too
if anyone from derry wants to know about cover ups just look at bloody sunday"

What sort of an idiot are you?  :P

Louper

Quote from: continuity tug on April 18, 2007, 03:23:20 PM
anyone who hits a referee should get a life ban from the gaa and anyone who tries to cover it up should get a 48 week ban too
if anyone from derry wants to know about cover ups just look at bloody sunday

politicain in disguise? welcom to hearts and minds GAA style.

J70

Brendan Devenney got six months for pushing Cavan ref Joe McQuillan after he was sent off against Fermanagh in 2004. If Bradley did the same, he should get the same punishment.

Man In Middle

Brendan Devenney got six months for pushing Cavan ref Joe McQuillan after he was sent off against Fermanagh in 2004. If Bradley did the same, he should get the same punishment

And IF only idiots like you would stop speculating and making judgements we could move on and talk about something new.

Where did it mention anywhere that PB pushed the ref??  ???
If my memory serves me correct BD shoved the ref in the chest. The supposed allegation against PB is that he grabbed ref aroung collar region. So he didn't do the same.