Yes
29 (67.4%)
No
10 (23.3%)
Depends
4 (9.3%)

Total Members Voted: 40

Donagh

This is the only way to present our games on the international stage. Well done MH...

highking

Micky may have a case here. It would be great to reward the club Champions at each grade by allowing them to represent Ireland in an International competition. The AI club championship at Junior, Intermediate & Senior would get an even bigger boost if a holiday was on offer to the winning team and to represent Ireland in the process. However, it would have to be graded so that no mismatches occur in the one-off Finals Match. Here's how it could be done:

Senior Football World Series (In New York)
Salthill/Knocknacarra v New York

Intermediate Football World Series (In London)
Irish Intermediate Champions (Carberry I think) v London

Junior Football World Series (In Paris)
Irish Junior Champs (Finuge) v European XV

Would these games be mismatches? Would it work?

Windmill abu

Is this Mickey Harte's attempt at "anything but the International Rules?"

Hypothetical question.
Would an average senior Footballing/Hurling club, with no realistic chance of a senior county title, be willing to concede relegation for the chance to get a free foreign holiday as an intermediate championship winner the following year?
Never underestimate the power of complaining

oneillcup2007

muppet

Announcing the Massey Ferguson Supreme Champions of the Universe?

There will be 4 Quadrant Galaxy Championships:

Kerrygold Sagittarius Dwarf Championship ( clubs from Munster and one of the Blaskets )

Stubbs Gazette Andromeda Galaxy Championship ( clubs from Connacht and Inisboffin )

Findus Black Eye Galaxy Championship ( clubs from Ulster and the Isle of Skye )

and finally

Evening Herald Helix Galaxy Championship ( clubs from Leinster and Antarctica )

A GAA spokesman said today that "Einstein's Theory of Relativity would sort out any scheduling problems ( take a bow Prof Mickey Harte ) as time would slow down for those travelling to play and watch the games".

Such an innovative idea would easily attract sponsors and we could have Marty Morrissey commanding the Sparship Centraprise Outside Broadcast Interstallar Engine ( SCOBIE ).

Fair weather supporters would be renamed Klingons and quickly dispatched to the breakaway Gaelic Planets Association. Spokesman Dessie Ferengi acknowledged his association would take all comers as his 'Rules of Acquisition' decreed.

The spokesman added "...( that ) this is really only the start of the Tyrone manager's plans. He is involved in dialogue with Oxford and MIT checking to see if we can expand the universe to provide greater coverage for Gaelic games. MIT are very keen on the idea and have even christened the project 'the all encompassing taking the Mickey Harte strategum' 

MWWSI 2017

stephenite

People are talking about Junior clubs playing abroad in a World series, great idea and all but, Who is going to pay for this? Will the players get expenses for each day they are away representing the GAA? Will they be covered for being out of pocket re wages missed, will this trip come out of their holidays or will all employers waive this for the good of the association.
Might be OK for a weekend in the States but what if a club in Australia or the Far East qualify and demand the games be played in their hemisphere?

As an amateur organisation we'll need to be a bit more realistic, too much is even being asked of club players playing at the highest level, and while i agree that is their own choice we are just going further and further down the road of professionalism by introducing this sort of thing in my view.

full back

A complete pie in the sky idea.Stephenite is correct.Do we really expect junior clubs to be able to send their squad & mentors etc away for a 'World Series' game?
The reality of this is small clubs simply dont have the resources to do this.MH is dead against the Int Rules so he has just come up with something to get more opposition to it

lynchbhoy

I think the idea is good to help promote the games abroad.
Certainly give overseas GAA boards and clubs (and members) a bit of a lift knowing that they are not forgotten and that HQ still ratify them.
Most places have their championships
NY, North America, Aisa, Europe, Britain and australia - and these generally come over for 'world series'
maybe having these rotate to different 'host towns' each time would help promote the game and get some locals playing too

I know there is a carribean league starting up...lads who have not played in 5 years are getting ready to go training next month !

most of these boards can afford sending teams abroad once every couple of years - even once a year...it will increase interest and competition!

magickingdom

american football with all its money was unable to spread its reach. what make the gaa (or afl for that matter) think they can do it? the fact is gaa will only ever exist in ireland and theirs nothing wrong with that. it would be great however if the international rules could survive as it the ONLY meaningfull (ie pull a crowd over 2000) international outlet available imo...

Over the Bar

Quoteamerican football with all its money was unable to spread its reach.

because a) it's shit to watch and b) you need to spend a small fortune in body armour and semi-pro organisation of games as its much too physical to play merely as a pastime just using a ball, unlike say basketball.    
we are talking about a nation that watched irish immigrants play rounders, copied then renamed it baseball and made it the national sport.

Over the Bar

No flirtyflan,  I said jealousy AND rejection.   Are you telling me this doesn't exist with some (not the majority) Carmen fans?   FFS I'm even related to some I know are like that.  They can't stand Mickey Harte because a) he comes from & managed Errigal, b) he doen't select enough Carmen players and c)  (this is the best one yet, heard in Daly's bar after the 2005 AIF)  he lost us the Ulster final 05!   I mean wtf??  ???

believebelive

As a seperate idea on its own I would have to agree with MH.
But I think that these sorts of ideas should not even be entertained until the club situation is sorted out. We are obssessed with rewarding winners in the GAA - the best players play for the county - the county teams get focused on more than any other unit.
The best club teams win their respective competitions and as a result should be rewarded with trips away.
We have lost track of what makes the GAA tick - the average club player  plays for 20 years and wins nothing or at the most one or two medals. This is the person shit upon byt he GAA at president.
We should cancel the International rules, put ideas like Mickeys on the back burner until the farcical club situation is sorted out.

tayto

Quote from: Over the Bar on November 21, 2006, 12:48:07 PM
No flirtyflan,  I said jealousy AND rejection.   Are you telling me this doesn't exist with some (not the majority) Carmen fans?   FFS I'm even related to some I know are like that.  They can't stand Mickey Harte because a) he comes from & managed Errigal, b) he doen't select enough Carmen players and c)  (this is the best one yet, heard in Daly's bar after the 2005 AIF)  he lost us the Ulster final 05!   I mean wtf??  ???

that made me laugh, nothing like a bit of local bitterness.  ;D

Jack Dempsey

Personally I think the gaa could take alot more from other sports. Why not follow the baseball and make it a best of 3 or 5 final.

believebelive

yeah - lets make it 3 out of 5 for the final - the club fixture list is not messed up enough already  ???