Connacht Senior Championship 2018

Started by Rossfan, May 02, 2018, 11:14:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

spuds

Quote from: JoG2 on June 16, 2018, 10:41:36 AM
Galway by 6 with their superior fire power

After shock result last year feel Galway by 4/5 will be the outcome. Galway have added increased physicality to their football, Ross not up to that level.
"As I get older I notice the years less and the seasons more."
John Hubbard

macdanger2

Galway's backs are significantly better than Roscommon's. However, I have a sneaking feeling for Ross so I'll go with them by a point

Syferus

Quote from: macdanger2 on June 16, 2018, 01:44:42 PM
Galway's backs are significantly better than Roscommon's. However, I have a sneaking feeling for Ross so I'll go with them by a point

Man for man they aren't superior at all. Their system is better defensively however.

Blowitupref

Quote from: seafoid on June 16, 2018, 01:28:11 PM
Quote from: Blowitupref on June 16, 2018, 01:01:01 PM
Quote from: seafoid on June 16, 2018, 12:49:07 PM
Quote from: Orchard park on June 16, 2018, 12:38:20 PM
Quote from: Manning18 on June 16, 2018, 08:29:46 AM
Stolen sheep forum is just adorable at the moment. Absolute indignation over Galway getting the bulk of the media coverage. Shocking stuff that a small GAA county with one big win in 8 years has a low media profile...

And meanwhile in those 8 years the Galway footballers have done what exactly
2 U 21 and a2 club all Ireland's
Mol an óige agus tiocfaidh sí

One of those U21 All Irelands (2013) they could easily have lost to Roscommon in the Connacht final. Brigids won 1 club All Ireland and they took Corofin to extra time this season before Corofin went on to win their 2nd AI

Hasn't been a lot between Galway and Roscommon over the last decade.

Both have won 2 senior Connacht titles. Roscommon won 4 U21 Connachts, Galway won 3, at minor Connacht titles won is Roscommon 2 and Galway 3.

This year was Galways first year to play in Div 1 for 6 years while next year will be Roscommons 3rd year in Div one in the last 4 years.

Complete the phrase:

Up and down like a....

The thing about Ros to date has been consistency. Not being able to stay in D1 after emerging from D2. Beating Galway and then getting hosed by Mayo last year . They have a tendency to foal which overrides the quality.
The big question is whether or not the management can overcome this.
It would be good if they could because Mayo may be fading.
They stayed in Div 1 2016 and when relegated back to Div 2 they didn't need 6 years to gain promotion back to div 1 like Galway did. Both sides have tendency to foal as both are still very much young sides and still work in progress which makes tomorrows final all the more intriguing.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Rossfan

Apart from Kilroy's sweeping we hardly could be said to have any defensive system.
We have to pray that like Salthill last year everyone from 2 to 9 burst every gut.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Cunny Funt

Whatever about a system key to Roscommons in last years Connacht final win was defending well fighting for every ball and wanting it more than Galway while the opposite happened in Connacht final replay in 2016.

Last 3 finals between the teams were not good finals, A dour draw and two easy wins. We have yet to see a classic between these two sides like the U21 Connacht finals in 2013,2015 is tomorrow the day that will happen?

Syferus

Quote from: Cunny Funt on June 16, 2018, 02:16:16 PM
Whatever about a system key to Roscommons in last years Connacht final win was defending well fighting for every ball and wanting it more than Galway while the opposite happened in Connacht final replay in 2016.

Last 3 finals between the teams were not good finals, A dour draw and two easy wins. We have yet to see a classic between these two sides like the U21 Connacht finals in 2013,2015 is tomorrow the day that will happen?

Nah. Straightforward Ros win is on the cards.

seafoid

Quote from: Syferus on June 16, 2018, 01:29:52 PM
Quote from: Captain Obvious on June 16, 2018, 12:50:27 PM
Quote from: JoG2 on June 16, 2018, 10:41:36 AM
Galway by 6 with their superior fire power
I don't believe Galway have superior fire power, the two forward lines are on par however Galways forward line will likely be up against a loose marking defence while the Roscommon forward line won't be given the same time and room on the ball.  It all points to Galway win but and there is always a but shocks happen and a few has already happened this year Fermanagh v Monaghan,Carlow v Kildare and I always love to see a good underdog win and I can imagine we'll see some fantastic scenes on the field afterwards if Roscommon mange to win in front of their own supporters against the odds.

Saying our forwards are on par with Galway's is an insult to ours.
A classic Syferism
Partisan like Comical Ali
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

GalwayBayBoy

If we had both Silke and Kerin then maybe but both are missing. Sean Andy looks like he'll be very good but it's still his first year. Sean Kelly too looks like he'll be very good but has even less experience than that. Bradshaw and Sweeney have been around for a good while now. Bradshaw in fairness has been playing well but both are going to be under pressure to hold their spots going forward. Maybe not this year but definitely next.

Syferus

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on June 16, 2018, 02:35:30 PM

If we had both Silke and Kerin then maybe but both are missing. Sean Andy looks like he'll be very good but it's still his first year. Sean Kelly too looks like he'll be very good but has even less experience than that. Bradshaw and Sweeney have been around for a good while now. Bradhshaw in fairness has been playing well but both are going to be under pressure to hold their spots going forward. Maybe not this year but definitely next.

For all the talk Sean Andy has gotten (has a FB ever got this much hype in his first season?), no one is mentioning our returning double AI-winning FB Peter Domican. He's came back after four years out of the game entirely to become the starting FB for a team that is operating at a far higher level than the one he left in 2013. That's no small achievement.

seafoid

Quote from: Syferus on June 16, 2018, 02:25:23 PM
Quote from: Cunny Funt on June 16, 2018, 02:16:16 PM

Nah. Straightforward Ros win is on the cards.
Your model is asymmetric.  Short dopamine hit after provocative post vs 2 week absence if the heron chokers win.

Orchard park

Quote from: Syferus on June 16, 2018, 02:39:11 PM

If we had both Silke and Kerin then maybe but both are missing. Sean Andy looks like he'll be very good but it's still his first year. Sean Kelly too looks like he'll be very good but has even less experience than that. Bradshaw and Sweeney have been around for a good while now. Bradhshaw in fairness has been playing well but both are going to be under pressure to hold their spots going forward. Maybe not this year but definitely next.

For all the talk Sean Andy has gotten (has a FB ever got this much hype in his first season?), no one is mentioning our returning double AI-winning FB Peter Domican. He's came back after four years out of the game entirely to become the starting FB for a team that is operating at a far higher level than the one he left in 2013. That's no small achievement.

Sure it's Sean Milkerrins that's the great white hope of full backs not Sean Andy....... some county to hypdvladx up. ShanevWalsh was the next Sean Purcell ... still waiting on a decent championship performance in a game that matters.....

're Domican, a good honest lad, but wasn't fit to play full back when he left at 25 or 26 so it sums up the dearth of available defenders that he is needed to play there after a 4 year Arabian sabbatical......

Syferus

Quote from: Orchard park on June 16, 2018, 05:07:36 PM
Quote from: Syferus on June 16, 2018, 02:39:11 PM

Sure it's Sean Milkerrins that's the great white hope of full backs not Sean Andy....... some county to hypdvladx up. ShanevWalsh was the next Sean Purcell ... still waiting on a decent championship performance in a game that matters.....

're Domican, a good honest lad, but wasn't fit to play full back when he left at 25 or 26 so it sums up the dearth of available defenders that he is needed to play there after a 4 year Arabian sabbatical......

Ya wha? Peter Domican was widely regarded as one of the best backs in Connacht when he left. It wouldn't be much of a stretch to say he was our best defender at the time of his departure in 2013. Domican has been back playing for his club for over a year (MotM in last year's county final) so it's hardly like he fell off the plane into the senior county team either.

Orchard park

Syferus,  Domican was a decent corner back but playing centre back our of necessity pre his emigration.

He's a smashing lad, nobody faulting  his honesty graft or tenaciousness , but thus far he has non shown  enough to be a good intercounty fullback.

We have a limited backline, just like Galway have but no point putting players on pedestals like you are anointing Domo currently.......for us to win  heand the other 5 backs need to have lifetime best oerformances

seafoid

Syf should work in marketing for the health system