26 County General Election 2020

Started by Snapchap, January 09, 2020, 06:52:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What will be makeup of the next government?

FF/SD/Lab/Green
FG/SD/Lab/Green
FG/FF
FF/Green
FG/Independents
FG/Independents
FG/Green
FF/SF
FF/Green/Independents
FF Minority
FG Minority
FG/SF
FF/Lab/Green
FF/Lab
FF/Lab/Green/Independents

WT4E

Quote from: five points on January 21, 2020, 02:25:18 PM
Quote from: WT4E on January 21, 2020, 02:04:52 PM
Reunification is coming (even if Leo and FG don't like it) - SF will be central to that along with others - they deserve their place on the debate.

The Island will prosper in the long run - sure there will be some possible economic downside in the short term - however EU and UK money could offset some of this. So anyone with children - if you want the best for them and their children reunification is what that looks like and with that goes accepting the fact that SF are a main political party north and south.

Not necessarily disagreeing with you but the "some possible economic downside" bit is worrying. It took the south 40 years from independence to even make a dent in this downside. The EU sunk us to save the French and German banks in 2010, they haven't a notion of funding us for a decade, let alone 40 years and nor will the UK.

British leaving the 26 can't be compared to this scenario in my opinion. UK want out of the North and will pay for the privilege when the day comes I think. I anticipate the EU will help fund as a reunification/peace project. The North has an established economy that will function better under a one island model.

Even if it did take 10 years to sort it would be to the benefit of future generations and morale in general of the whole island (Blue Shirt Black & Tan supporters would eventually enjoy it)

weareros

Quote from: WT4E on January 22, 2020, 11:00:59 AM
Reunification is coming (even if Leo and FG don't like it) - SF will be central to that along with others - they deserve their place on the debate.

The Island will prosper in the long run - sure there will be some possible economic downside in the short term - however EU and UK money could offset some of this. So anyone with children - if you want the best for them and their children reunification is what that looks like and with that goes accepting the fact that SF are a main political party north and south.

Not necessarily disagreeing with you but the "some possible economic downside" bit is worrying. It took the south 40 years from independence to even make a dent in this downside. The EU sunk us to save the French and German banks in 2010, they haven't a notion of funding us for a decade, let alone 40 years and nor will the UK.

British leaving the 26 can't be compared to this scenario in my opinion. UK want out of the North and will pay for the privilege when the day comes I think. I anticipate the EU will help fund as a reunification/peace project. The North has an established economy that will function better under a one island model.

Even if it did take 10 years to sort it would be to the benefit of future generations and morale in general of the whole island (Blue Shirt Black & Tan supporters would eventually enjoy it)

You've used a beloved Irish economic theory there: sure someone else will pay for it.

five points

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on January 22, 2020, 03:05:39 AM

The bank guarantee was not the EU's bright idea.

Apples and oranges.

The bank guarantee guaranteed deposits.

The EU insisted we pay bondholders and interbank debt.

magpie seanie

Quote from: Rossfan on January 22, 2020, 01:30:02 AM
How about reading your fellow Sligoman's post.

I did read it. Clearly you didn't or you don't understand what you typed yourself.

QuoteDoubtful if Shinners would get 5% here or in most Western or Midland constituencies.

Rossfan

Any more hairs to split?
Still a long way off the 20% being bandied about from opinion polls.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

magpie seanie

Quote from: Rossfan on January 22, 2020, 01:06:05 PM
Any more hairs to split?

It's not hair splitting. Your statement was 100%, clearly incorrect. SF got 13% across Midlands-North West last year in the Euro election. That's actually closer to 20% than your completely laughable less than 5%.

Admit you fcuked up.

Snapchap

Any more hairs to split?

The problem there is that "the 20% being bandied about" (or to reword that for you: the 20-21% findings from the two most recent opinion polls), was a 26 county figure and not a figure restricted to "Western or Midland constituencies" as you were basing your remarks on. You said they would struggle to reach 5% in in "most of" those western & midland constituencies.

The evidence posted directly and comprehensively discredits your claim. That isn't a matter of discussion or debate. The figures are there. When you're wrong and the evidence to show it is presented for everyone to see, ffs have it in you to admit it lol

Hound

Quote from: weareros on January 22, 2020, 12:00:22 PM
Quote from: WT4E on January 22, 2020, 11:00:59 AM

You've used a beloved Irish economic theory there: sure someone else will pay for it.
Yep, a typical Shinner.

Like the populist move to bring the pension age back to 65.
Who'd pay for that???

Beware if you've worked your bollix off in school, college and the workplace and are now earning €80k or more. SF will come to get you. 

Farrandeelin

Quote from: Rossfan on January 20, 2020, 04:19:49 PM
Looks like I'll be voting Fitzmaurice and Naughten 1 and 2.
After that I don't know as I swore never to vote FF again after 2007, FG have been awful on the 2 main crises affecting people (Housing and Health), and apart from a Green candidate I'd be wasting my vote on the rest. Mind you voting Green round here would also be a waste.
FG have someone I never heard of from Galway while FF have hopped Orla Leyden in for gender balance and presumably to dump Eugene Murphy.
Be great if we could get 3 Independents in.

And what if there was an actual 2 party coalition, the independents would be useless in that instance.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Hound

Quote from: Farrandeelin on January 22, 2020, 02:51:49 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on January 20, 2020, 04:19:49 PM
Looks like I'll be voting Fitzmaurice and Naughten 1 and 2.
After that I don't know as I swore never to vote FF again after 2007, FG have been awful on the 2 main crises affecting people (Housing and Health), and apart from a Green candidate I'd be wasting my vote on the rest. Mind you voting Green round here would also be a waste.
FG have someone I never heard of from Galway while FF have hopped Orla Leyden in for gender balance and presumably to dump Eugene Murphy.
Be great if we could get 3 Independents in.

And what if there was an actual 2 party coalition, the independents would be useless in that instance.
I'm all for voting for Independents, where I think they are good, in local and European elections. They can certainly make a difference at local level and they can contribute as much as anyone at EU level (which isn't a whole heap for any Irish MEP, but that's a different thread..)

But Independents are largely useless when it comes to running the country, and when needed for a government often hold the country to ransom based on local/single issues.

If what they stand for is truly worthy of support based on national issues, surely there should be enough of like-mind to form a party, or at least a grouping, and bring about an actual alternative.

Rossfan

Quote from: magpie seanie on January 22, 2020, 01:16:54 PM
Any more hairs to split?

It's not hair splitting. Your statement was 100%, clearly incorrect. SF got 13% across Midlands-North West last year in the Euro election. That's actually closer to 20% than your completely laughable less than 5%.

Admit you fcuked up.
I said MOST Western and Midlands.
Donegal, Cavan, Monaghan are not West or Midlands.
Including Leitrim and Laois gives you around 7%.
Excluding those 2 double figures percentages gives you around 6%.
We Connacht people usually speak in broad indicative terms and leave the narrow literal interpretations to Northerners and Solicitors ;)
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Snapchap

Quote from: Rossfan on January 22, 2020, 04:04:31 PM
Donegal, Cavan, Monaghan are not West or Midlands.
Including Leitrim and Laois gives you around 7%.
Excluding those 2 double figures percentages gives you around 6%.
We Connacht people usually speak in broad indicative terms and leave the narrow literal interpretations to Northerners and Solicitors ;)

Wow. That's some mental gymnastics! So basically you were right so long as everyone else accepts that:

1. Donegal (a county on the west coast) is not in the west, so must be excluded
2. Cavan and Monaghan (both landlocked counties) are not midland counties, so must be excluded
3. Leitrim & Laois can be excluded solely because SF's results there are far higher than suits your argument

Any other straws you can clutch to or is that it?

Quote from: Rossfan on January 22, 2020, 04:04:31 PM

Indeed you did. And even if we indulged your staggering mental gymnastics above and removed all the constituencies you asked us to remove, then most of the rest STILL had SF at over 5% going by the 2019 figures:

Roscommon 7.4%
Galway Co 4.8%
Galway City 5.4%
Mayo 7.4%
Sligo 8.2%

Longford 4.6%
Westmeath 5.8%
Offaly 4.6%

Wouldn't it just be easier to say, 'ok fair enough, I was wrong'?

trailer

SF nothing more than a protest vote. Fringe party at best. Left wing communists who if we're let anywhere near the fiscal leavers would bankrupt the country for years.

johnnycool

Quote from: trailer on January 22, 2020, 04:28:28 PM

SF nothing more than a protest vote. Fringe party at best. Left wing communists who if we're let anywhere near the fiscal leavers would bankrupt the country for years.

Again?