Electric Cars. Real aternative or ego boosters?

Started by Denn Forever, September 02, 2019, 02:01:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trailer

Quote from: Franko on July 06, 2023, 04:09:21 PM
Quote from: seafoid on July 06, 2023, 10:55:34 AM
Quote from: trailer on July 06, 2023, 10:30:49 AM
Problems with electric cars...

1) They look f**king horrendous. You'd need a paper bag over yer head to drive one as you'd die from embarrassment
2) The cost of them is scandalous
3) Time to charge them and lack of chargers. Who has time to wait on car charging at a charging point or waiting for one to become free
4) They'll be obsolete in about 5-10 years.
5) Contrary to popular belief they are not some environment saving vehicle that produces only rainbows and fluffy rabbits as by products.

Trailer's verdict... Avoid

I actually saw on the news that Dublin port are running a pilot boat on some bio diesel. No modifications needed to the engine at all. Will work in all diesel engines. That is where this is headed.
1. Depends on the price
2. Leasing is good value
3. Most people charge at home. It's much cheaper than petrol
4. If they are , leasing is a good idea
5. Battery technology continues to improve. Less pollution than petrol. Less waste of energy

5. Only if you forget that you have to actually make the battery in the first place

Exactly. Are Electric vehicle owners happy to have 8 year olds mine the cobalt to make the batteries?

armaghniac

Quote from: trailer on July 06, 2023, 04:42:41 PM

1) They look f**king horrendous. You'd need a paper bag over yer head to drive one as you'd die from embarrassment
3) Time to charge them and lack of chargers. Who has time to wait on car charging at a charging point or waiting for one to become free
5) Contrary to popular belief they are not some environment saving vehicle that produces only rainbows and fluffy rabbits as by products.

I actually saw on the news that Dublin port are running a pilot boat on some bio diesel. No modifications needed to the engine at all. Will work in all diesel engines. That is where this is headed.
1. Depends on the price
2. Leasing is good value
5. Battery technology continues to improve. Less pollution than petrol. Less waste of energy

5. Only if you forget that you have to actually make the battery in the first place

Exactly. Are Electric vehicle owners happy to have 8 year olds mine the cobalt to make the batteries?

No they are not. It is up to the operators of those mines to use robots, battery powered of course.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Last Man

1. Depends on the price
2. Leasing is good value

The cobalt mining practices in The Congo for all these batteries can't be ignored plus the adoption of nuclear to provide an effective power source being overlooked as well.

seafoid

And petrol is as pure as the driven now. People forget about Saudi Arabia and human rights abuses and the correlation between oil and authoritarianism. Petrol is on the way out anyway.i

Last Man

Quote from: seafoid on July 07, 2023, 05:30:24 AM
And petrol is as pure as the driven now. People forget about Saudi Arabia and human rights abuses and the correlation between oil and authoritarianism. Petrol is on the way out anyway.i
That's it sorted then.

trailer

But they reinvest in football clubs so you know.. every cloud and all that.
No industry is 100% clean and the electric is no different

Last Man

Quote from: trailer on July 07, 2023, 09:07:44 AM

But they reinvest in football clubs so you know.. every cloud and all that.
No industry is 100% clean and the electric is no different

Oil is the precursor to all the plastics we used in car manufacturing so the demise of petrochemicals is over egged.
Spent a bit of time in China last month, they have at least 10 brands of EVs, not to mention all the scooters, tuk-tuks etc. (BYD is coming here shortly I believe). Big tax breaks are driving the market there but they are also effectively cornering the market for the rest of the world for drive line and batteries etc. Is that a good thing?? And they are backing it up with massive electricity infrastructure. A lot of it coal fired because it's fastest to bring on line and they have loads of coal. Nuclear is under way as well but they take longer to build.
A lot of green washing going on here in my humble opinion.

tbrick18

Quote from: trailer on July 06, 2023, 03:16:27 PM
Quote from: Franko on July 06, 2023, 02:55:47 PM
I reckon Hydrogen is the way too

It basically a slightly modified petrol engine

It has potential to work with trucks and plant too, which batteries are quite a bit off on in terms of range

JCB and truck companies already using Hydrogen. The user experience is so much easier than electric.

Hydrogen driven public buses around too.

https://smartbelfast.city/story/translink-hydrogen-buses/

Last Man

If we weren't so wasteful with tax revenues we might have developed a cheap and reliable mass transit system by now. Cars would be way less of a necessity, EV or otherwise. They would probably be more expensive but it would be a price worth paying in this climate emergency.

full moon

How do people afford them or all these fancy cars, motors are such an expense in Ireland now. Is it just purely all on finance barring those with very high paid jobs?

blasmere

Quote from: Last Man on July 07, 2023, 02:09:48 PM
If we weren't so wasteful with tax revenues we might have developed a cheap and reliable mass transit system by now. Cars would be way less of a necessity, EV or otherwise. They would probably be more expensive but it would be a price worth paying in this climate emergency.

Record tax revenues at the moment, it's the time to think of the future and build infrastructure for decades
A sure cure for seasickness is to sit under a tree

Milltown Row2

Quote from: blasmere on July 07, 2023, 03:07:53 PM
Quote from: Last Man on July 07, 2023, 02:09:48 PM

Record tax revenues at the moment, it's the time to think of the future and build infrastructure for decades

You'd never use your car if there was a reliable quick efficient reasonably priced mode of transportation, we use them because there is a lack (of any) of infrastructure to get people from a to b.

I'm not going to add on an extra hour or two to my journey just to take expensive unreliable infrequent public transport..
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

lurganblue

Quote from: full moon on July 07, 2023, 02:27:51 PM
How do people afford them or all these fancy cars, motors are such an expense in Ireland now. Is it just purely all on finance barring those with very high paid jobs?
No idea. Car prices remain an absolute joke. There is zero value out there in my opinion.

Sportacus

At least the private sector is finally catching up a bit with the provision of chargers in the north. Another project which the Ministers and civil servants at Stormont were incapable of delivering.

snoopdog

Quote from: lurganblue on July 07, 2023, 09:02:31 PM
Quote from: full moon on July 07, 2023, 02:27:51 PM
No idea. Car prices remain an absolute joke. There is zero value out there in my opinion.
Has to be all on finance. When you think some  vw golfs in the south are 35k plus. Who would have that lying around.  Monthly payments are massive. I want to replace the wife's car but the 2nd hand market is still at covid prices. They will prob never come down again.