Armagh next steps

Started by bennydorano, July 03, 2023, 10:37:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mackers

Quote from: bennydorano on July 28, 2023, 10:42:56 AM
I could see this ending acrimoniously, a lukewarm vote of confidence from the clubs and McGeeney could well say let someone else at it. I really don't see the need for a vote if he's one year left but i assume it's to try and get a ringing endorsement, I'm not so sure it'll be forthcoming.
Club delegates were told that this is not the case. The agreement is on a year to year basis.
Keep your pecker hard and your powder dry and the world will turn.

bennydorano

That's different then, probably gives McGeeney a bit of cover to accept a less than ringing endorsement (IMO).

naka

I could see this ending acrimoniously, a lukewarm vote of confidence from the clubs and McGeeney could well say let someone else at it. I really don't see the need for a vote if he's one year left but i assume it's to try and get a ringing endorsement, I'm not so sure it'll be forthcoming.
A fair bit of angst  in the clubs as to how we lost key games this year
Think he will get his endorsement but tbf management gets a b- this year
So it might simply be a marker
County board right to ask the clubs given the amount of monies spent and the amount of players outside the 26 who are prevented on match weekends from playing with their clubs

statto

Quote from: naka on July 28, 2023, 11:37:25 AM
A fair bit of angst  in the clubs as to how we lost key games this year
Think he will get his endorsement but tbf management gets a b- this year
So it might simply be a marker
County board right to ask the clubs given the amount of monies spent and the amount of players outside the 26 who are prevented on match weekends from playing with their clubs
I wouldn't be so sure.  I think alot of club delegates be unhappy with the style of play and the non learnings between the Ulster final and Monaghan game when a man up and unable to see the game out.  If he committed to playing a more front foot style wouldn't be adverse to him having another year.  He has all the best players in Armagh invested in the thing, which is a big thing when you compare that to say the situations in Derry or Tyrone where players of county standard are opting out for one reason or another. 

Any teams McKeever seems to be involved with are very defensive minded, appears doubtful Donaghy be around next year.  Think the clubs would need to know who is on the ticket next year before making any informed decision. 

balladmaker

Given the age profile of the team, McGeeney leaving now could result in quite a few high profile players at the same time e.g. Forker, Grugan, Campbell, Murnin as just a few ... personally, I'd be giving him one more year and leaving it at that.  What would be success for Armagh at this stage .. probably an Ulster title / All Ireland semi-final / promotion back to Div. 1.  Anyone recommending that the manager goes now would need to have a good idea as to who will replace him.  I'm not aware of any better players in the county who are not involved, would love to see Oisin O'Neill back again and hopefully that looks to be on the cards for next year. 

knockitdown

Quote from: balladmaker on July 28, 2023, 03:42:13 PM
Given the age profile of the team, McGeeney leaving now could result in quite a few high profile players at the same time e.g. Forker, Grugan, Campbell, Murnin as just a few ... personally, I'd be giving him one more year and leaving it at that.  What would be success for Armagh at this stage .. probably an Ulster title / All Ireland semi-final / promotion back to Div. 1.  Anyone recommending that the manager goes now would need to have a good idea as to who will replace him.  I'm not aware of any better players in the county who are not involved, would love to see Oisin O'Neill back again and hopefully that looks to be on the cards for next year.

This seems to be the vibe generally. Give him one more year. But what happens then? Say he gets promotion back to Div 1 (quite possible), and gets to another quarterfinal but beat by a big gun (Kerry / Dublin). No ulster title. McGeeney won't walk away. He will see it as another year of progress....

An Watcher

They won't be as lucky with their ulster championship draw next year

Wildweasel74

G looking in from outside, like Tyrone, Armagh need a new manager.

bennydorano

See Ethan Rafferty suffered a very bad injury in a club game last night, reports have varied from a straight leg break to a combo ankle dislocation / leg break or knee injury. Terrible news for him, sounds very serious.

naka

Quote from: bennydorano on July 29, 2023, 08:38:03 AM
See Ethan Rafferty suffered a very bad injury in a club game last night, reports have varied from a straight leg break to a combo ankle dislocation / leg break or knee injury. Terrible news for him, sounds very serious.
Ethan has had no luck at all
Hopefully a Speedy recovery for him

balladmaker

Very sorry to hear that, here's to a speedy recovery Ethan.

balladmaker

Quote from: knockitdown on July 28, 2023, 10:31:05 PM
Quote from: balladmaker on July 28, 2023, 03:42:13 PM

This seems to be the vibe generally. Give him one more year. But what happens then? Say he gets promotion back to Div 1 (quite possible), and gets to another quarterfinal but beat by a big gun (Kerry / Dublin). No ulster title. McGeeney won't walk away. He will see it as another year of progress....

I just think changing management now, on a team that has potentially one serious roll of the dice left in 2024, would be counter-productive.

brokencrossbar1

Or maybe now is the time for a new to come in a get a new tune out of the old fiddles?  No matter what the 2 Brian's would never have won an AI. Perhaps Geezer is at that point too where no matter what he does with this group they will not make the final push through. He couldn't do it with Kildare. He got them to a certain level and that was it. Maybe he is not a 'lucky' manager....Joe Kernan was a very good manager but he was also 'lucky'. I was in a meeting where it was give or take whether he would stay in the Cross job prior to when we made the breakthrough. He was 'lucky' as he had a group of talented players coming through and they then went on to bedrock his Armagh team. We won lots of game by 1-2 points,  lucky points, battled hard, but we always seemed to come out on the right side of the bounce,  same in 2002. I don't think that 'luck' follows Geezer and that's a reality.

Wildweasel74

Nothing change for Armagh nxt year, if they keep at current form they wouldn't progress any more, they might actually regress. Derry won more this year and played better and I am of the opinion that they need Malachy O'Rourke if they are to push on, mainly because he be fit to bring in a no.of players who wouldn't play for, Gallagher. I still keep Meenagh but from the Clifford Situation additional help is required Management wise.

Captain Obvious

Wishing him a speedy recovery.