Armagh next steps

Started by bennydorano, July 03, 2023, 10:37:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

naka

Quote from: 5times5times on July 05, 2023, 02:27:53 PM
If Geezer goes, who would actually want the gig, when likely 4-5 senior players will hang boots up too?

Tony Mac
Oisin
Jim McCory
AOR
Jim McGuinness
Malachy O'Rourke
Mc geeney has another year so is going no where.

full moon

Quote from: Itchy on July 05, 2023, 01:25:21 PM
Quote from: full moon on July 05, 2023, 12:53:46 PM
They need to release the handbrake and be more direct. Anyone remember when they beat Dublin in Croke Park in the league last year, playing more direct attacking style. Was outstanding performance.

I know it was early league match but how many teams can do that to Dublin in Croker, in that style. League or not. No doubt they are stronger defensively now but as others have said they need to merge a bit more between that and this year.

I think they're probably as good as most of the others outside Dublin and Kerry. Tyrone, Derry, Galway, Mayo, maybe Monaghan and Roscommon a a bit below.

Monaghan just beat Armagh in an AI quarter final so i'd say they couldn't be a bit below them.

Don't get me wrong I was happy Monaghan won but it was a penalty shoot out where they won 9-8. And Armagh also lost the Ulster final on penalties. Even Vinny Corey said they didn't "win" the match. Armagh can do better, I think Monaghan are getting the absolute max out of what they have.

full moon

If Geezer goes, who would actually want the gig, when likely 4-5 senior players will hang boots up too?

Tony Mac
Oisin
Jim McCory
AOR
Jim McGuinness
Malachy O'Rourke
You'd be better stick with McGeeney and give him one more year and shot at it.

Armamike

Quote from: 93-DY-SAM on July 05, 2023, 02:21:40 PM
Quote from: Gael80 on July 05, 2023, 02:17:26 PM
Quote from: Louther on July 05, 2023, 01:54:41 PM
Quote from: full moon on July 05, 2023, 12:53:46 PM
They need to release the handbrake and be more direct. Anyone remember when they beat Dublin in Croke Park in the league last year, playing more direct attacking style. Was outstanding performance.

I know it was early league match but how many teams can do that to Dublin in Croker, in that style. League or not. No doubt they are stronger defensively now but as others have said they need to merge a bit more between that and this year.

I think they're probably as good as most of the others outside Dublin and Kerry. Tyrone, Derry, Galway, Mayo, maybe Monaghan and Roscommon a a bit below.

This is the bonkers thinking I'm here for  ;D You've just been beat by one of the teams that "maybe" a bit below you. If not further than a bit below you.

The reality is you've won sweet Fanny Adams and if they below you, beat them. In sport you earn reputation by beating teams and winning. Armagh got relelgated this year. In their group they struggled over Westmeath at home, got beat well by Tyrone and then popped Galway who haven't performed this year.  They had an easy path to an Ulster and then in two clutch games they choked when they seen the winning line. Armagh are exactly where they are. They aren't as good as the others or they'd still be playing.

Maybe so but I still think there is a lottery element to penalty shoot outs. It's a bit like when Mayo were getting to and losing All Ireland Finals. It's frustrating for Mayo fans but many other counties would like to be getting as far.

Armagh are getting to All Ireland QF's and competing at that level. Whatever is decided on for next season it isn't a bad base to start from and many other counties would be delighted to be competing at those levels.

Of course, penalties are a lottery but why do Armagh keep finding themselves at the mercy of a lottery instead of closing out the game in 70 minutes never mind 90? That's the real issue. Not that you've had bad luck in penalties.

Exactly. They've all been tight games but we've had our chances in each of them to close them out, being 1-2 points ahead going into the final couple of minutes.  Should be well able to keep ball and run down the clock at that point.
That's just, like your opinion man.

RedHand88

Get rid of Geezer.

/thread

yellowcard

Tony Mac
Oisin
Jim McCory
AOR
Jim McGuinness
Malachy O'Rourke

Three of those mentioned are already in jobs and would be unavailable for next season. I wouldn't want Jim McGuinness, we want to move away from negative, defensive football and he was the initial instigator of what we call modern gaelic football. Jim McCorry was a good coach but his time has probably passed at county level now. I'd still rather give it to an Armagh man though.

I think the best option is to give Geezer another year and look at making a change in 12 months time. I believe he has another year left on his contract anyway unless he decided to walk.  I'd rather have one last go at it with the current side and set up but the bigger issue is trying to sort out the underage set ups for next season and starting at the bottom, otherwise we will fall further behind when the older players move on. 

statto

Quote from: yellowcard on July 06, 2023, 11:46:23 AM

Tony Mac
Oisin
Jim McCory
AOR
Jim McGuinness
Malachy O'Rourke

Three of those mentioned are already in jobs and would be unavailable for next season. I wouldn't want Jim McGuinness, we want to move away from negative, defensive football and he was the initial instigator of what we call modern gaelic football. Jim McCorry was a good coach but his time has probably passed at county level now. I'd still rather give it to an Armagh man though.

I think the best option is to give Geezer another year and look at making a change in 12 months time. I believe he has another year left on his contract anyway unless he decided to walk.  I'd rather have one last go at it with the current side and set up but the bigger issue is trying to sort out the underage set ups for next season and starting at the bottom, otherwise we will fall further behind when the older players move on.

Looking back to St Ronans winning the Hogan in 2018, the last real success story of underage football in armagh,  only 1 player made it through to date (Tiarnan Kelly) into the Armagh setup.  5 of the starting team are from Antrim 2 of which are involved with antrim (luke mulholland, Adam Loughran).  Strange that they never got more through from watching club football none of them have really kicked on to be county level players though they are still relatively young. 

The westport team they beat in final had rory brickenden, jack carney, mark moran and eoin mclaughlin who have all played for Mayo. 

rrhf

I think that it could cause more damage than create good if Armagh sack Mc Geeney. I think he deserves the opportunity to see out his last season.,,

tonto1888

Quote from: statto on July 06, 2023, 11:58:09 AM

Tony Mac
Oisin
Jim McCory
AOR
Jim McGuinness
Malachy O'Rourke

Looking back to St Ronans winning the Hogan in 2018, the last real success story of underage football in armagh,  only 1 player made it through to date (Tiarnan Kelly) into the Armagh setup.  5 of the starting team are from Antrim 2 of which are involved with antrim (luke mulholland, Adam Loughran).  Strange that they never got more through from watching club football none of them have really kicked on to be county level players though they are still relatively young. 

The westport team they beat in final had rory brickenden, jack carney, mark moran and eoin mclaughlin who have all played for Mayo.

I think we got more from the previous st ronans team. Turbo. McCambridge. Ryan Owen.

statto

Quote from: tonto1888 on July 06, 2023, 12:35:50 PM

Tony Mac
Oisin
Jim McCory
AOR
Jim McGuinness
Malachy O'Rourke

I think we got more from the previous st ronans team. Turbo. McCambridge. Ryan Owen.

Owens has had awful run with injuries and size would be against him at county level.  He would be older than other 2 lads by a year I think.  Turbitt and McCambridge team were beat the year previous by a Rian O'Neill inspired St Colmans in Athletic Grounds in Macrory semi after winning the mccormick cup.

tonto1888

Quote from: statto on July 06, 2023, 12:57:05 PM

Tony Mac
Oisin
Jim McCory
AOR
Jim McGuinness
Malachy O'Rourke

Owens has had awful run with injuries and size would be against him at county level.  He would be older than other 2 lads by a year I think.  Turbitt and McCambridge team were beat the year previous by a Rian O'Neill inspired St Colmans in Athletic Grounds in Macrory semi after winning the mccormick cup.

How many have we had through from St Pats recently?

statto

Quote from: tonto1888 on July 06, 2023, 01:23:55 PM

Tony Mac
Oisin
Jim McCory
AOR
Jim McGuinness
Malachy O'Rourke

The sideline eye said used 42 players this year across mckenna cup, league and championship I make it the following ex st pats: Murnin, Duffy, McElroy, Kieran, McPartlan with Murnin being nearly 15 years ago.  No surprise they haven't made a macrory final since 2000. 

lurganblue

Quote from: statto on July 06, 2023, 01:34:17 PM
Quote from: tonto1888 on July 06, 2023, 01:23:55 PM

Tony Mac
Oisin
Jim McCory
AOR
Jim McGuinness
Malachy O'Rourke

The sideline eye said used 42 players this year across mckenna cup, league and championship I make it the following ex st pats: Murnin, Duffy, McElroy, Kieran, McPartlan with Murnin being nearly 15 years ago.  No surprise they haven't made a macrory final since 2000.

There's a shift in that school now though with the lurgan lads mostly staying in town for St Ronan's or going to Newry. St Pats would still have put a few Tyrone's way too.

AustinPowers

Tony Mac
Oisin
Jim McCory
AOR
Jim McGuinness
Malachy O'Rourke

Funny you should  mention  underage football.  Dublin didn't win a  minor All Ireland from 1984 until 2012.  And they've only been in  3 finals since the millennium , and none  since that 2012 win.  So even with their numbers  and resources ,  that is  quite poor. And it hasn't really affected the senior  success   Too much. So underage  success in terms of  trophies isn't everything ,  success in bringing players  through to senior, is.

Also , Kerry didn't win  a minor from 1994 to 2014.  Yet their senior  team constantly compete for the big prizes

badjawbadteast

Quote from: Orior on July 05, 2023, 03:00:44 PM

Tony Mac
Oisin
Jim McCory
AOR
Jim McGuinness
Malachy O'Rourke

Is Stevie McDonnell still looking after the U21's? Who manages the minors?

Of that list, I would only look forward to Tony McEntee.
no Stevie isn't over 21s ex senior manager Peter McDonnell is along with Martin McQuillan,Brendan Hughes ex ogs manager along with Chris Rafferty ex ogs player currant st colmcilles grange manager are over the minors