Holidays

Started by Oakleafer93, June 03, 2009, 01:17:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

maddog

Quote from: Gold on August 04, 2023, 12:44:02 AM
Quote from: gallsman on August 03, 2023, 08:41:49 PM
Quote from: Harold Disgracey on August 03, 2023, 03:02:03 PM
Ended up cancelling my trip to Sicily and am now going to San Sebastián on Sunday. Any one been, any tips/recommendations?

Eat. A lot.

I'm heading at end of the month. Flying to Biarritz and gonna stay with family at least some of the time in Donostia/San Sebastian.....by the way my uncle told me calling it San Sebastian is like calling Derry Londonderry

I'll stay in Donostia at least a few days but might do a few nights in Bilbao and then the same in Biarritz to finish....anyone been or think that's a good idea or should I stay in Donostia the whole time? Going with my wife just

Nice place just outside Bilbao called Plentzia. It's short train ride out of Bilbao. Stayed there for 2 nights during some sort of festival around early September. Great spot.

naka

Not much in Bilbao
San Sebastián is super though
Thought it very classy
Beach excellent and tapas to die for
For the republican in you the Belfast bar used to be an eta bar ( not sure now though)

gallsman

Ended up cancelling my trip to Sicily and am now going to San Sebastián on Sunday. Any one been, any tips/recommendations?

Eat. A lot.

I'm heading at end of the month. Flying to Biarritz and gonna stay with family at least some of the time in Donostia/San Sebastian.....by the way my uncle told me calling it San Sebastian is like calling Derry Londonderry

I'll stay in Donostia at least a few days but might do a few nights in Bilbao and then the same in Biarritz to finish....anyone been or think that's a good idea or should I stay in Donostia the whole time? Going with my wife just

One is the Basque, the other is Spanish. Language and politics don't necessarily go hand in hand the same way they do here. You'll not overly upset anyone if you use either.

There's a board member I'll ping whose wife is from San Sebastian and spends a lot of time up there. I'm sure he can give you all plenty of tips.

Get in early if you want to try Nestor's tortilla is all I know!

JimStynes

Where do you fly to go to San Sebastián?

Harold Disgracey

Quote from: JimStynes on August 04, 2023, 07:46:44 PM
Where do you fly to go to San Sebastián?

Ryanair fly into Biarritz.

Tubberman

Quote from: gallsman on August 04, 2023, 07:04:52 PM

Eat. A lot.

One is the Basque, the other is Spanish. Language and politics don't necessarily go hand in hand the same way they do here. You'll not overly upset anyone if you use either.

There's a board member I'll ping whose wife is from San Sebastian and spends a lot of time up there. I'm sure he can give you all plenty of tips.

Get in early if you want to try Nestor's tortilla is all I know!

Nestors is fantastic - they'll bring out a few cuts of meat for you to select from, you choose one then relax with a few glasses of wine and plates of tomatoes and fried peppers (much nicer than it sounds), then the meat arrives.
Enormous, cooked to perfection and sprinkled with big crystals of salt - it's absolute heaven.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

CiKe

When are you going to San Sebastian? Week of 14th August is "Semana Grande". Place is packed with "gabachos" (derogatory slang for French) all August, but the place is absolutely bunged that week.

Food on offer in my mother in law"s is top notch so not as clued in on eateries as I would like to be. Bokado above the Acquarium is nice but pricey, Taberna la Jarana above the port is another nice spot. Both more sit down restaurants. Tapas wise, Atari in the old town opposite Santa Maria del Coro cathedral is always bunged, but to be honest I'd try and stay away from the old town/parte vieja (confusingly not to be confused with "El Antiguo"). El Lobo on Calle Raso is decent (another one in Gros, few good places that same street in Gros)

If you are there for a period of time and cash to splash, look beyond SS itself and eat out in Hondarribia, Zarautz and Getaria. "Besugo" (sea bream), "rodaballo" (turbot), "mero" (grouper) and "lubina" (sea bass) be my fish of choice (rodaballo decidedly less so, but is a bit of a speciality there).

Food in the cafes on La Concha itself (La Perla and another one) not particularly good, would avoid them, other than for a coffee or cocktail with nice view. Narru nearby probably a better bet.

Harold Disgracey

Quote from: CiKe on August 04, 2023, 11:10:39 PM
When are you going to San Sebastian? Week of 14th August is "Semana Grande". Place is packed with "gabachos" (derogatory slang for French) all August, but the place is absolutely bunged that week.

Food on offer in my mother in law"s is top notch so not as clued in on eateries as I would like to be. Bokado above the Acquarium is nice but pricey, Taberna la Jarana above the port is another nice spot. Both more sit down restaurants. Tapas wise, Atari in the old town opposite Santa Maria del Coro cathedral is always bunged, but to be honest I'd try and stay away from the old town/parte vieja (confusingly not to be confused with "El Antiguo"). El Lobo on Calle Raso is decent (another one in Gros, few good places that same street in Gros)

If you are there for a period of time and cash to splash, look beyond SS itself and eat out in Hondarribia, Zarautz and Getaria. "Besugo" (sea bream), "rodaballo" (turbot), "mero" (grouper) and "lubina" (sea bass) be my fish of choice (rodaballo decidedly less so, but is a bit of a speciality there).

Food in the cafes on La Concha itself (La Perla and another one) not particularly good, would avoid them, other than for a coffee or cocktail with nice view. Narru nearby probably a better bet.

Thanks for the info, I'm there from the 6th -13th.

Gold

Thanks for all the info and knowledge,  much appreciated men. I'm not there till the 26th.

Apparently a big Pilota final is a must see but tickets hard to come by!
"Cheeky Charlie McKenna..."

Milltown Row2

Only thing I can say from being in that area is the weather can be changeable, from glorious weather to freezing to thunderstorms!
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Rois

Great that a few here know the area.
Have found a hotel with an indoor pool in St Jean de Luz - for people who like to be within walking distance of restaurants and bars, and with nice coastal walks suitable for a double buggy, is it a good enough spot? Have read good things about it. Hoping we would then be handy to both Biarritz and San Sebastián. Not expecting good weather as we'd be going off season, but is St Jean de Luz the kind of place that becomes sleepy after the summer season?

LC

Anyone ever been to Cambrils Resort in Spain?  Hearing good things about it.

snoopdog

Quote from: LC on August 06, 2023, 08:55:06 AM
Yes been loads. Its brilliant. Kids love it. Loads of pools. Few slides. Food bar etc all decent. Entertainment same every year though so I try to avoid it. But yeah. Great spot. 

Tubberman

Quote from: snoopdog on August 06, 2023, 09:44:06 AM
Yes been loads. Its brilliant. Kids love it. Loads of pools. Few slides. Food bar etc all decent. Entertainment same every year though so I try to avoid it. But yeah. Great spot. 

It's about 90% Irish at it, so be prepared for that 😀
But it's great - very relaxed and safe, kids love it and accommodation is good.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

snoopdog

Quote from: Tubberman on August 06, 2023, 10:37:28 AM
Quote from: snoopdog on August 06, 2023, 09:44:06 AM

It's about 90% Irish at it, so be prepared for that 😀
But it's great - very relaxed and safe, kids love it and accommodation is good.
You don't get any rough ones either. We'll mostly you don't.