Tyrone County Football and Hurling

Started by Fear ón Srath Bán, April 01, 2007, 05:58:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

redzone

Thinks change unfortunately, you and I both know he's not the man he once was. We're as once he had players willing to die for him on the field now they don't even want to be on the squad. A few more players not coming back.

Angelo

GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

square_ball

Quote from: Christmas Lights on September 25, 2020, 10:14:36 AM
Quote from: sidelineball on September 24, 2020, 11:05:40 PM
They won't be giving him anything, he'll be taking any extension he sees fit. He will decide when he steps away.

And rightly so he should take the extension.  Always baffles me the amount of people who want to get rid of the greatest manager in the history of Tyrone GAA  :-\  The man delivered 3 All Irelands, a league title, numerous Ulster's and basically a McKenna cup every year.

I understand that but where do you draw the line? If he gets another 3 years and no all Ireland at the end of it do you say the same thing again? A freshness is required in my opinion. You are allowed to say that while at the same time acknowledging he's the greatest manager in our history. They are not mutually exclusive.

rodney trotter

They won't be giving him anything, he'll be taking any extension he sees fit. He will decide when he steps away.

And rightly so he should take the extension.  Always baffles me the amount of people who want to get rid of the greatest manager in the history of Tyrone GAA  :-\  The man delivered 3 All Irelands, a league title, numerous Ulster's and basically a McKenna cup every year.

In fairness listing the McKenna Cup is hardly necessary.. A warm up tournament which has no relevance on the fiull season.

Sean Boylan was a great manager with Meath, but stayed on too long.  Brian Cody a bit similar to Mickey Harte, doesn't want to relenquish the power as manager. They reached the All Ireland final last year with a new team.,which was a good achievement m
There is still calls for a fresh look in Kilkenny.

Tyrone reached the All Ireland final in 2018 and some Semi final appearance which would have given Mickey Harte some leeway, though Tyrone are in a decent position, so if Harte at end of year, they aren't in a bad place. Meath were a sinking ship for a new manager when Boylan left.

Snapchap

Quote from: redzone on September 25, 2020, 10:34:06 AM
A few more players not coming back.
Surely the mods should have be dishing out sort form of brutal punishment for lads posting up lines like that and not fronting up with names?

Is it that:
1. You know the names, but you like the idea of knowing a secret?
2. You don't know any names, and are just passing on a totally unsubstantiated rumour that some unnamed players are quitting?

inroundthesquare

Quote from: rodney trotter on September 25, 2020, 10:59:38 AM

In fairness listing the McKenna Cup is hardly necessary.. A warm up tournament which has no relevance on the fiull season.

Sean Boylan was a great manager with Meath, but stayed on too long.  Brian Cody a bit similar to Mickey Harte, doesn't want to relenquish the power as manager. They reached the All Ireland final last year with a new team.,which was a good achievement m
There is still calls for a fresh look in Kilkenny.

Tyrone reached the All Ireland final in 2018 and some Semi final appearance which would have given Mickey Harte some leeway, though Tyrone are in a decent position, so if Harte at end of year, they aren't in a bad place. Meath were a sinking ship for a new manager when Boylan left.

The thing is, do Tyrone have the quality of players that should have been winning All Irelands or at least getting very close over the past 5 years?
We have won 2 Ulsters, reached 3 All-Ireland Semis & 1 All-Ireland Final in that time which apart from the 2000s must be considered Tyrone's best ever period (maybe 95/96 better achievement as straight KO?)
A few weeks ago, people on here were rubbishing Peter Harte's reputation as a big player. If you ask anyone reasonable in the country they would say that Peter Harte would be one of our top 3/4 players over the past 5 years.
Therefore if one of our best players is such a poor player then how do we expect to be winning All Irelands and can it be said that Mickey is not getting the best out of his available personnel?

I personally thought he should have went after the 2017 Semi but the run to the final in 2018 was a vindication of him staying on IMO. I would have liked to judge him based on this year but with Covid now I think it is likely he will get another year.

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: Localexpert on September 25, 2020, 07:33:22 AM

Absolutely right he will never jump he will need to be pushed!

Is it true the players are pushing out the manager round your way?

Dire Ear

Would Stevie O'Neill be a possibility for manager  ?

lenny

Quote from: Dire Ear on September 25, 2020, 01:20:00 PM

What the Tyrone club championship shows is that there is plenty of forward talent in Tyrone and a desire among club teams to play open attractive football. There's also an evident lack of cynicism. This proves a point I have made on numerous occasions that the common denominator for putrid, defensive, cynical football is Harte. I have spoken to numerous people from around the country who were amazed at how enjoyable it was to watch the club football on display in Tyrone. Fair play to the club managers and players who gave everyone much entertainment. Collie Holmes would have to be in the frame because of the fitness levels Dungannon had and also the way he managed the squad and used the bench.

oakleaflad

I'll assume you haven't seen Dungiven play this year

square_ball

Quote from: lenny on September 25, 2020, 03:39:31 PM

What the Tyrone club championship shows is that there is plenty of forward talent in Tyrone and a desire among club teams to play open attractive football. There's also an evident lack of cynicism. This proves a point I have made on numerous occasions that the common denominator for putrid, defensive, cynical football is Harte. I have spoken to numerous people from around the country who were amazed at how enjoyable it was to watch the club football on display in Tyrone. Fair play to the club managers and players who gave everyone much entertainment. Collie Holmes would have to be in the frame because of the fitness levels Dungannon had and also the way he managed the squad and used the bench.

Who is the main man at dungannon?

From what I seen of the Tyrone minors last year they were setup up very defensively.

GetOverTheBar

They were training all through the lockdown. That's not to downplay their achievements in any way. But none the less, it explains that.

Dire Ear

Quote from: oakleaflad on September 25, 2020, 03:46:58 PM
I'll assume you haven't seen Dungiven play this year
No,  I'm assuming he didn't do well then?
Did he have a decent squad? ( I have no idea about Dungiven! )

BennyHarp

Quote from: GetOverTheBar on September 25, 2020, 04:18:31 PM

They were training all through the lockdown. That's not to downplay their achievements in any way. But none the less, it explains that.

They definitely weren't
That was never a square ball!!

Angelo

I think Tyrone could definitely do with a fresh voice around the squad but I do think Mickey Harte gets ridiculous criticism for the past decade. People reference the likes of Sean Boylan and Pete McGrath staying on too long, but look what happened Meath and Down when they did leave. Tyrone haven't repeated the success of the 00s but they have remained a steadfast top 5 team along that period and Harte deserves credit for that.

There's no real standout candidate, there's been a few Tyrone men take on outside county jobs in the past few years - McGleenan, Ricey, Tally etc. None have been overly successful, I think Tally is doing decently with Down but Tally is going to play an even more defensive game than the moaners bitch about Harte implementing.

The best candidate about is probably Malachy O'Rourke, again Malachy is hardly known for playing exciting football but he did do a very good job with Monaghan and has a very impressive CV, do we want an outside man? Wouldn't worry me too much.

I don't personally care about the style of football we play, we have lots of talent in the county but no team in country will be able to play an effective system in the modern game that caters for guys like McCurry, Bradley and Lee Brennan all playing at the same time. We seem to produce a load of the same type of players.

I'd probably give Harte next year, with McKenna back and hopefully McShane fit, it certainly raises expectations for 2021. I'd be putting us as second favourites behind Dublin in 2021 and if we don't make an All Ireland final it would be a disappointment.
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL