your favourite scores against the dubs

Started by small white mayoman, August 22, 2007, 09:41:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ONeill

Quote from: Sandy Hill on August 22, 2007, 11:13:37 PM

Was that the one where he carried the ball illegally for about 10 steps before he sold his first dummy? So apart from the fact that it should've been a free out - a great goal!

Does that include the solo?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iwV4ZCITrnc
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

muppet

1) Padraig Brogan's goal from 30 yards past John O'Leary in 1985 semi replay
2) Mossy Fitz sideline point
3) Sheehy's quick free goal
4) Supermacs winner
5) Mugsy's goal
MWWSI 2017

nrico2006

QuoteIf we're talking about "silencing the hill" then Mugsy's goal in the 2005 quarter final replay is a better call than his great goal in the first game  The Dubs had just hit 5 points in quick succession to close to just a goal behind and there was some noise in Croker with the momentum suddenly very much with Dublin. Then Big Sean made an interception, galloped forward and passed to Mugsy who used his backside to get a couple of Dubs defenders out of his way then slotted it past Cluxton...then just walked in front of the Hill glaring at them, brilliant 

True!  The goal in the first game is for me the best goal ever in Croke Park.  But for timing and significance, the one in the replay gets it.  The Dubs were definitely in the ascendency until this point.  The Eric Cantona-esque strut to the hill was amazing!!
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

thebandit

John McEntee v Dubs in the AI quarter final '03

Oisin's fisted winning point AISF '02

heffo

Quote from: ONeill on August 22, 2007, 11:45:22 PM

Was that the one where he carried the ball illegally for about 10 steps before he sold his first dummy? So apart from the fact that it should've been a free out - a great goal!

Does that include the solo?

After his second toe-tap he caught the ball with his right hand. Changed it to his left hand and dummied the defender by showing him the ball. All ok so far, but then he changed it back to his right hand to bounce. So he changed hands twice between the toe-tap and the bounce which is a foul.

Mike Sheehy

QuoteDoes that include the solo?

The first dummy was a rock solid "changing of hands" ..I dont know how anybody can argue with that. He "presented" it to the defender with is left hand and then clearly transferred it to his right before bouncing it.
For the second dummy he does the same thing but it's less clear from the clip as the camera zooms out and the transfer from one hand to the other is more fluid but it definitely was a change of hands also.

If he had simply hopped it with his left hand after doing the dummy, caught it with both hands then dropped it for the solo using his right hand then that would have been ok, I assume, and could not be regarded as changing hands.

His mistake was not combining the dummy with the hop. If he was from Kerry he would probably have pulled it off but is clearly lacking the necessary skills  :D

Still, he got away with it and thats all that matters I suppose.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: Mike Sheehy on August 23, 2007, 09:28:29 PM
If he was from Kerry he would probably have pulled it off but is clearly lacking the necessary skills

Yeah, that's why he passed it to Canavan in the 2005 final!  :D
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

we are blue... etc

Quote from: The Real Laoislad on August 22, 2007, 03:34:27 PM
Quote from: Gabriel_Hurl on August 22, 2007, 03:30:43 PM
I seem to remember a savage point scored by that big ginger midfielder Clancy from Laois in the 2003 Leinster Final - caught the ball from his own kick-out, soloed it and let fly from over 50 yards out right over the black spot

You mean the one i just posted right above your post ;)

That was gonna be my choice too. Savage score.

thewingedlady

Cosgrove hitting the post in '02.
As good as a score! ;D

maddog

Not a spectular score but McGranes point v dublin in the 2003 qualifier, was one of those "we have you now" scores.
Great second half performance.

Louth Exile

When you look at it there are some amazing scores for me it would have to be....

1- M Fitz point in Thurles - the time in the game, the distance, the angle, Carr shouting in his ear, he stood up and took it as if it was a training session, a genius, my fav score of all time.
2- Sheehy goal in 1978 - another genius, the thinking behind it, Cullen ran back into the goal like a woman who realised that she had left the cooker on (or words to that effect from the mighty Micheal), my sec fav score of all time
3- Mugsys goal - the greatest goal of this millennium at a minimum
4- Ciaran Mc point - the best score of the greatest game of this millennium
5- Foley's goal in 1991 - I'll never forget standing on the steps of Hogan watching Meath literally cutting the Dubs apart as they moved up the field, a great move in its own right, but the significance and timing were massive.
6- Mc Guirk point in 1993 - I think the most amazing thing about this one is that most Doire fans would have been willing him to pass to one of the two lethal corner forwards as wee Johnny was not renowned for his shooting ability!

Don't remember Brogan's goal in 1985, but there are some amazing scores from some great games, thanks for the memories
St. Josephs GFC - SFC Champions 1996 & 2006, IFC Champions 1983, 1990 & 2016 www.thejoesgfc.com

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on August 22, 2007, 12:00:33 PM
Taken from "Paidi's Army": ( :-[ :-[ :-[)

"It's 37 years since Westmeath defeated Dublin in the Leinster Championship, they're on the verge of it at the moment, Connaughton, O'Donoghue, Keane, Dolan and O'Shaughnessey all playing well. The ball is with O'Shaughnessey in the middle of the field, he takes a long high one, and Paul Conway goes to the clouds, he comes back to terra firma, he turns around, IT'S A POINT!!!"

One of them all too rare occasions where u lose the run of yourself...

To put music to the lyrics and sure I added in a bit of action as well, just for the hell of it, sure what else would u be at on a Friday???

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-R8ZOckJSM
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

stibhan88

Quote from: Balboa on August 22, 2007, 11:14:36 PM
QuoteMulligan's goal in the 2005 AI 1/4 Final was that little bit special,

Was that the one where he carried the ball illegally for about 10 steps before he sold his first his first dummy? So apart from the fact that it should've been a free out - a great goal!

He is still living off that goal, hasnt kicked a ball since.

Kicked 1-7 in the next game, MOTM (even though McGuigan should have got it) against Kerry in the final and sure he scored a few goals last year as well against Laois IIRC. This year he was shite, had the worst game I've seen anyone play against Meath and still scored something like 1-1. Weird player, great when he's on form.

oakleaf stateside

Dont Do It

new devil

Quote from: Balboa on August 22, 2007, 11:14:36 PM
QuoteMulligan's goal in the 2005 AI 1/4 Final was that little bit special,

Was that the one where he carried the ball illegally for about 10 steps before he sold his first his first dummy? So apart from the fact that it should've been a free out - a great goal!

He is still living off that goal, hasnt kicked a ball since.

What about the 1-7 a week later ballbag  ;D ;D ;D