Time for U2 to shuffle off before the corpse smells?

Started by Shamrock Shore, March 10, 2014, 03:05:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seafoid

Quote from: Puckoon on February 02, 2018, 04:51:43 PM
The fuckin Eagles are at it over here too - upwards in the $200's.

U2 was maybe $115 last year including the ticketmaster taxes and fees and stuff.

U2 are like the end of an era now

https://www.visualcapitalist.com/music-industry-sales/

Insane Bolt

Quote from: Itchy on December 25, 2018, 07:39:27 AM
Quote from: Rossfan on December 25, 2018, 12:05:54 AM
What a nauseating hypocrite

https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/bono-urges-crowd-to-dig-deep-for-the-homeless-as-he-leads-christmas-eve-busk-in-d

How any one would stop and listen to him is beyond me.

Do any of you know what he gives to these causes? If he said he gave £10 million he would still be a cnut to some. We are some begrudgers😩. Happy Xmas everyone 😎

Itchy

Quote from: Insane Bolt on December 25, 2018, 09:09:43 AM

https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/bono-urges-crowd-to-dig-deep-for-the-homeless-as-he-leads-christmas-eve-busk-in-d

Do any of you know what he gives to these causes? If he said he gave £10 million he would still be a cnut to some. We are some begrudgers😩. Happy Xmas everyone 😎

I don't but I refused lectured to by a gobshite that drinks tea with war criminals and refuses to pay taxes in this country. He's a horrible individual, I have a lot if respect for successful Irish people but not him.

sid waddell

Quote from: Itchy on December 25, 2018, 09:45:49 AM

I don't but I refused lectured to by a gobshite that drinks tea with war criminals and refuses to pay taxes in this country. He's a horrible individual, I have a lot if respect for successful Irish people but not him.
I do think there's a considerable element of hypocrisy as regards Bono busking for the homeless while having U2's tax affairs registered in Holland.

However, when you say "I have a lot of respect for successful Irish people but not him", what makes you single out Bono for special treatment?

Given that, for all his hypocrisy as regards tax affairs, he has actually done a hell of a lot of good as regards debt relief and AIDS prevention, which in my view more than outweighs his hypocrisy.

As well as being responsible for some pretty awesome music. 

Is it just Bono you're singling out or are The Edge and the other lads included too, just as a matter of interest?

snoopdog

Quote from: sid waddell on December 25, 2018, 08:19:23 PM

I do think there's a considerable element of hypocrisy as regards Bono busking for the homeless while having U2's tax affairs registered in Holland.

However, when you say "I have a lot of respect for successful Irish people but not him", what makes you single out Bono for special treatment?

Given that, for all his hypocrisy as regards tax affairs, he has actually done a hell of a lot of good as regards debt relief and AIDS prevention, which in my view more than outweighs his hypocrisy.

Is it just Bono you're singling out or are The Edge and the other lads included too, just as a matter of interest?
Bono is a d1ckhead. How deep did he dig for Dublins homeless. He could build a load of housing for them and not even notice it. He would prefer to preach though.

Insane Bolt

Quote from: snoopdog on December 25, 2018, 08:41:09 PM

Bono is a d1ckhead. How deep did he dig for Dublins homeless. He could build a load of housing for them and not even notice it. He would prefer to preach though.

It's not Bono's responsibility to build houses....it's the government......you know the useless shower in the Dail that the gombeens keep electing.......are they d1ckheads also?

Over the Bar

Quote from: snoopdog on December 25, 2018, 08:41:09 PM

I'm sure his taxes would build plenty of houses, as would the unnecessary huge portion of the ordinary mans' taxes that keep the affluent lifestyles of the dail and seanead members going.

BennyCake

I like U2's earlier stuff, but their stuff has been on the decline since the early 90's. Never seen them live, and wouldnt go now mainly because Bono behaves like a total bell end. Preaching his political bollix from the stage and all that shite. I'd find it hard to resist pelting him with my shoe or something.

I'm not sure how everyone else feels about his onstage antics, but to me, he's paid to sing so fuckin sing ya knob.

Itchy

Don't have time for any if them or any one who is unpatriotic enough to find ways to not pay their fair share in tax. However, I don't recall the edge preaching to me like some self elected king of the world. I do recall an interview once indeed where the edge looked decidedly uncomfortable being in motor mouths company as he blathered on. His trying to turn the Batalan shootings into something to do with him was sickening also. He's an embarrassment to me, I wish he'd shuffle off as the title says.

sid waddell

As a matter of interest, was Bono a d**khead pre-2004, when U2's tax affairs were registered in Ireland because of Charlie Haughey's artists' tax exemption, or only since 2004, when they moved them to Holland as a result of the €250k tax exemption cap being introduced?

sid waddell

Quote from: Itchy on December 25, 2018, 09:29:42 PM

Don't have time for any if them or any one who is unpatriotic enough to find ways to not pay their fair share in tax. However, I don't recall the edge preaching to me like some self elected king of the world. I do recall an interview once indeed where the edge looked decidedly uncomfortable being in motor mouths company as he blathered on. His trying to turn the Batalan shootings into something to do with him was sickening also. He's an embarrassment to me, I wish he'd shuffle off as the title says.
How did he try to turn the Bataclan massacre into something to do with himself?

As I've said I don't like the way U2 conduct their tax affairs but I've always found Bono's overall take on geopolitics to be a pretty admirable one. He generally uses his fame in a good way, and fair play to him for that.

sid waddell

Quote from: BennyCake on December 25, 2018, 09:25:24 PM
I like U2's earlier stuff, but their stuff has been on the decline since the early 90's. Never seen them live, and wouldnt go now mainly because Bono behaves like a total bell end. Preaching his political bollix from the stage and all that shite. I'd find it hard to resist pelting him with my shoe or something.

I'm not sure how everyone else feels about his onstage antics, but to me, he's paid to sing so fuckin sing ya knob.
You make it sound like this "political bollix", as you put it, has only been a part of U2's shows in recent years. That's not the case. U2 have always been explicitly political, both in their songs and in their live shows, going right back to the early 80s.

Unless you think Sunday Bloody Sunday was actually about what Alan Partridge thought it was about?

Itchy

Quote from: sid waddell on December 25, 2018, 09:58:04 PM
As a matter of interest, was Bono a d**khead pre-2004, when U2's tax affairs were registered in Ireland because of Charlie Haughey's artists' tax exemption, or only since 2004, when they moved them to Holland as a result of the €250k tax exemption cap being introduced?

Yes I believe even then he was a p***k.

Rossfan

A rich tax avoiding billionaire lecturing plain people and telling them to dig deep is nauseating.
He could afford to build 3 or 4 Homeless/Emergency centres with all the tax he's saved by " moving" from Ireland never mind how much he already has.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM