Time for U2 to shuffle off before the corpse smells?

Started by Shamrock Shore, March 10, 2014, 03:05:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

foxcommander

Quote from: BarryBreensBandage on September 10, 2014, 10:10:16 PM
Quote from: foxcommander on September 10, 2014, 06:31:12 PM
Quote from: muppet on September 10, 2014, 06:22:49 PM
Sometimes I wish they would go on a Radiohead like tangent

Very few if any bands can do that. They are on a different level.
In Rainbows. What an album.

And very few if any bands can serve up some of the dross that Radiohead produce and get away with it. The only concert I have ever left early - used to love them.

Which gig was that?
There's plenty of other bands i've felt like leaving early but sat through it. Sting springs to mind...
Every second of the day there's a Democrat telling a lie

Owenmoresider

Quote from: Nigel White on September 10, 2014, 10:38:50 PM
Quote from: Shamrock Shore on September 10, 2014, 05:51:58 PM
Dave Fanning must have the sorest hands in Ireland with the constant pulling off of U2.

I will download and give it marks out of 10.
Word on the street is  that it's 'average'.
Fanning s a complete t**ser. The cnut must be the oldest DJ in the world.  His style is straight from the Smashey and Nicey manual
He's not even the oldest in RTE!

Eamonnca1

Agent Orange

You can see why they gave this album away, couldn't see too many paying for it. Could turn out to be a masterstroke by both apple and U2, but I doubt it.

J OGorman

Quote from: Agent Orange on September 16, 2014, 08:31:27 PM
You can see why they gave this album away, couldn't see too many paying for it. Could turn out to be a masterstroke by both apple and U2, but I doubt it.

U2 are huge globally. Ireland and it's U2 haters are but a mere drop in a big ocean. They could release an album much weaker than this and it would sell a bucket load. I'm no fan by any stretch of the imagination but there's one or 2 decent tracks on this one. Haven't bought ought by them since achtung baby (serious album)

seafoid

Quote from: Owenmoresider on September 11, 2014, 09:35:50 AM
Quote from: Nigel White on September 10, 2014, 10:38:50 PM
Quote from: Shamrock Shore on September 10, 2014, 05:51:58 PM
Dave Fanning must have the sorest hands in Ireland with the constant pulling off of U2.

I will download and give it marks out of 10.
Word on the street is  that it's 'average'.
Fanning s a complete t**ser. The cnut must be the oldest DJ in the world.  His style is straight from the Smashey and Nicey manual
He's not even the oldest in RTE!
the 3 Fannings fab 50 albums are fantastic IMO . Great collections of music even if he does go overboard on U2 some of the time 

Agent Orange

Quote from: J OGorman on September 16, 2014, 08:38:35 PM

U2 are huge globally. Ireland and it's U2 haters are but a mere drop in a big ocean. They could release an album much weaker than this and it would sell a bucket load. I'm no fan by any stretch of the imagination but there's one or 2 decent tracks on this one. Haven't bought ought by them since achtung baby (serious album)

I wouldn't be what you would call a U2 hater by any stretch of the imagination, but this is probably their weakest album to date. The first track on the album is ok, the rest is poor. Maybe time will be kinder to it, but I certainly wouldn't have bought it.

J OGorman

Quote from: Agent Orange on September 16, 2014, 08:47:30 PM
Quote from: J OGorman on September 16, 2014, 08:38:35 PM

I wouldn't be what you would call a U2 hater by any stretch of the imagination, but this is probably their weakest album to date. The first track on the album is ok, the rest is poor. Maybe time will be kinder to it, but I certainly wouldn't have bought it.

Although I quoted you AO, it wasn't directed at your good self.  There's plenty on this island...I wish I was as shite as U2 ;-)

muppet

Apparently Apple paid $100m for the album.

Either it was a great gift, or unwanted spam. But it is hard to see how U2 getting $100m is hard to turn into a disaster for them.
MWWSI 2017

Agent Orange

Quote from: muppet on September 16, 2014, 10:02:38 PM

Either it was a great gift, or unwanted spam. But it is hard to see how U2 getting $100m is hard to turn into a disaster for them.

I think the $100m includes a lot of promotional work by U2, though it is a hell of a deal. Maybe it is the way forward or even the end of the album as we know it. It's still a weak album in my opinion, but as I sait to a friend earlier maybe my musical taste has moved on.
Expect the next tour to be sponsored by apple in one way or another.

Shamrock Shore

3.5/10

They will release 'Songs of Experience' which is supposedly a better set of songs next year I believe.

Some of the lyrics in this new album are so bad it's almost of the 'my dog spot' variety.

U2 have lost their way. Bono and Edge swanning around the world looking for their mojo and Larry and Adam phoning it in.

Not good.

seafoid

Quote from: muppet on September 16, 2014, 10:02:38 PM

It mightn't be a disaster but say they feel they are musically impotent and can't make a decent album anymore. It's not like 100m is going to help that. Or that they need the money...

BarryBreensBandage

"Some people say I am indecisive..... maybe I am, maybe I'm not".

muppet

MWWSI 2017