What Rule changes should the GAA introduce for football if any ?

Started by johnpower, October 01, 2011, 12:16:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Orangemac

Quote from: mylestheslasher on October 01, 2011, 02:11:46 PM
Imo, the following rules would help....

- 3 hand passes then ball must be kicked forward.
- mark for fielding a kick out between 45's
- timing taken away from ref like in rugby or ladies football.

Those would make a big difference
Agre with 2 and 3 but no of handpasses is impossible to enforce. Referees have enough to do without counting handpasses. Refs losing count would lead to more controversial incidents.

Sin bin and retrospective bans for players faking injury/diving should be looked at also.

Possibly 2 points for scores from outside 45 if they want to encourage kicking.

OverThePostsAWide

Quote from: INDIANA on October 02, 2011, 12:14:49 AM
I'll console myself Eamon that we have the all-ireland title sitting in Dublin.

And we needed to be able to kick the ball over the bar to do so.

Yeah, by your goalkeeper  ;D

Kickham csc

handpassing doesn't annoy me. Maybe limiting the number of players in defense.

More importantly, lets bring back the hitting into football. It's too soft. lets allow shoulder tackles to stand (as they do in hurling)

Ludraman

I think they shud introduce de Haka before the start of matches. It would be great for de crowd if de referee his assistants and his umpires all did a Haka rendition along with say the commentators like Marty Morrisey an Joe Brolly.

De northies cud sing flower of scotland instead if they wanted to keep the unionlists happy. No?

rrhf

People talk about Cluxton and yes it was a superbly hit free kick under sever pressure.  Isnt it a shame that we dont see more of this - Im not talking about the goalkeeper Im talking about the type of kick. The kick out of the hands should only be used outside the 40 or for quick frees.  The free from the hands is an ugly thing in comparison to the majesty of a well struck placed ball.  Isnt it sad that Cluxton was the only man on the all ireland champions line up capable of taking a controlled kick off the ground, or alternatively isnt it great that Gilroy realised the importance of the controlled kick off the ground.  Maybe coaches will appreciate and develop the place kicker again after Cluxtons great strike brought the ultimate success.  I think when we watched the great kicking of Ogara over the weekend we can see how we have let the art die in Gaelic Football.   
As for Cluston what a season it shows how much you can get out of life if you put in the dedication and stay focussed and most importantly thump a soccor player on the way there.     

heffo

Quote from: rrhf on October 03, 2011, 08:59:19 AM
Isnt it sad that Cluxton was the only man on the all ireland champions line up capable of taking a controlled kick off the ground 

Extremely sad. Lie awake at night sad.

tbrick18

Scrap the square ball rule.
Clarify what constitutes a 2 (many) man tackle...some refs seem to have a different interpretation to this than others.
Allow physical tackles.
I think it's already a rule, but players should be booked for diving.
Booking should result in a 5 min sin-bin.
Tyrone should be banned ;)

seafoid

1. Sin bin
2. Bring in a f**** clock like they have in ice hockey
3. Give bonus points for teams that can score in a move from the backs in less than 20 seconds 
4. Overhaul the suspension system
5  Do something about the weaker counties   
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Jinxy

People talk about Cluxton and yes it was a superbly hit free kick under sever pressure.  Isnt it a shame that we dont see more of this - Im not talking about the goalkeeper Im talking about the type of kick. The kick out of the hands should only be used outside the 40 or for quick frees.  The free from the hands is an ugly thing in comparison to the majesty of a well struck placed ball.  Isnt it sad that Cluxton was the only man on the all ireland champions line up capable of taking a controlled kick off the ground, or alternatively isnt it great that Gilroy realised the importance of the controlled kick off the ground.  Maybe coaches will appreciate and develop the place kicker again after Cluxtons great strike brought the ultimate success.  I think when we watched the great kicking of Ogara over the weekend we can see how we have let the art die in Gaelic Football.   
As for Cluston what a season it shows how much you can get out of life if you put in the dedication and stay focussed and most importantly thump a soccor player on the way there.     

Isn't it sad that Brian Sheehan has to take the long range free kicks off the ground for Kerry has he has the best chance of scoring?
Isn't it sad that Ronan O'Gara has to take the kicks for Ireland because none of the other 14 players could hit a barn door if they tried?
I watched celebrity bainisteoir last night and St Pats Donabate had two lads taking frees off the ground, one with the left, one with the right.
They were both very accurate.
Maybe this is just another one of those manufactured problems we seem to love so much in the GAA.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

ExcellentDriver

1. More consistent Refereeing.

2. Bookings for Playacting (as they do in Soccer).

3. A Rugby-Style Video Judge for debatable Goals (ie. Squareball).

4. A 'Third Choice' kit for Clubs so that Ulster Club Championship games involving two clubs with similar kits won't have to revert to County Colours.

5. A Universal Insurance Policy for Club Footballers. Let's face it, the GAA CAN afford it (especially since Chirsty Cooney is high up the echelons of VHI).
Stand up for the Ulstermen!

brokencrossbar1

i would change the way suspensions are dealt with.  Move towards a games missed based as opposed to weeks suspension.  I would not abolish the square ball rule, i would simply revert to the umpires as the adjudicators on it.  I would also increase the powers of the umpires and linesmen and make them "assistant" referees as such.  Any change to the handpass rule will not happen.

heffo

Quote from: ExcellentDriver on October 03, 2011, 12:49:58 PM
5. A Universal Insurance Policy for Club Footballers. Let's face it, the GAA CAN afford it (especially since Chirsty Cooney is high up the echelons of VHI).

He's high up in VHI & Fas?

Stevie g 8

fit refs that are monitored,not ones that just stand in the middle of the pitch

Eamonnca1

The free from the hands is an ugly thing in comparison to the majesty of a well struck placed ball. 

The free taken from the ground is a minute spent bending down to place the ball on exactly the right blade of grass, rotating it backwards a few times, getting up, bending back down to move it slightly again, then taking half a dozen steps back from it, looking up at the posts, taking a big deep breath and puffing the cheeks out like your life depends on this kick, then dancing your way in with tiny little steps before kicking it wide.

Gimme the free from the hands any day.

4father

What you are all missing here with your 4th referee, your hawk eye and your video replays is that this will only be available in Croke Park and in turn only really available for county teams.

Rules have to be across the board.  Leave the games alone, very little wrong with them.  Just technical stuff needed to change like the timekeeping etc.