Man Utd Thread:

Started by full back, November 10, 2006, 08:13:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BennyCake

Quote from: Captain Obvious on November 05, 2020, 05:19:34 PM
Quote from: BennyCake on November 05, 2020, 05:00:36 PM
Quote from: Will it ever end on November 05, 2020, 04:29:19 PM
Or ... maybe being a good player or club legend doesn't necessarily make you a good manager ... if only there was a very recent example of this to back it up???

Yes but if you didn't have all the foreign managers in the PL, you're left with a lot of managers like those above. One of them would be winning the league, FA Cup etc. Someone like Mark Hughes or Steve Bruce could be at United winning all around them, or Big Sam doing likewise at Liverpool or Arsenal.

But we'll never know because of those pesky foreigners

Serious or on the wind up? .

Well, take the British or Irish managers managing the highest placed teams: Rodgers, Lampard, Smith, Bruce, Hodgson, Moyes, Potter, Parker, Wilder, Dyche. Throw in Southgate, Giggs, Clarke. After that you have the likes of Hughton, Pulis, Monk, Michael O'Neill etc.

Take the foreign managers away, that's who'd be winning the trophies.

Geoff Tipps

Quote from: BennyCake on November 05, 2020, 05:49:10 PM
Or ... maybe being a good player or club legend doesn't necessarily make you a good manager ... if only there was a very recent example of this to back it up???

Yes but if you didn't have all the foreign managers in the PL, you're left with a lot of managers like those above. One of them would be winning the league, FA Cup etc. Someone like Mark Hughes or Steve Bruce could be at United winning all around them, or Big Sam doing likewise at Liverpool or Arsenal.

Well, take the British or Irish managers managing the highest placed teams: Rodgers, Lampard, Smith, Bruce, Hodgson, Moyes, Potter, Parker, Wilder, Dyche. Throw in Southgate, Giggs, Clarke. After that you have the likes of Hughton, Pulis, Monk, Michael O'Neill etc.

If you took Dublin, Kerry and Donegal out of the last 10 years Mayo world have won 6 All Ireland's!! What's your point?? There's a reason the big clubs hire foreign managers. It's because they're generally the best in the business.

BennyCake

Quote from: Geoff Tipps on November 05, 2020, 07:46:22 PM

If you took Dublin, Kerry and Donegal out of the last 10 years Mayo world have won 6 All Ireland's!! What's your point?? There's a reason the big clubs hire foreign managers. It's because they're generally the best in the business.

Yes, money.

The big clubs werent hiring the top foreign coaches pre-mid 90's, as there was more money in Italy, Spain etc.

My point was, that if the foreign managers weren't in the PL, the local managers would be the ones winning and competing for the league/FA Cup etc. The same way Keegan, Dalglish, Big Ron, Royle, Evans, Graham, Wilkinson etc were in the 90's.

Cunny Funt

Good response from that silly defeat midweek. Could have won by more than 3-1 when you consider how wasteful Martial was with his chances. Everton goal from their only shot on target. Bruno delivered the required leadership once more. Cavani off the mark.

That's 7 away Premier league wins in a row something United hadn't done since 1993.

dublin7

Quote from: BennyCake on November 05, 2020, 09:09:47 PM
Quote from: Geoff Tipps on November 05, 2020, 07:46:22 PM

Yes, money.

The big clubs werent hiring the top foreign coaches pre-mid 90's, as there was more money in Italy, Spain etc.

My point was, that if the foreign managers weren't in the PL, the local managers would be the ones winning and competing for the league/FA Cup etc. The same way Keegan, Dalglish, Big Ron, Royle, Evans, Graham, Wilkinson etc were in the 90's.

If you want to go down that road then if all the foreign players playing in the EPL weren't there then the league would be full of Irish and UK footballers. They would be playing for top level teams and great for Ireland but the standard would be far poorer. Same applies to your points about foreign managers

screenexile

Are United back again?? It keeps changing every week hard to keep up!

RedHand88

Quote from: screenexile on November 08, 2020, 01:41:06 AM

Theyre still bottom half of the table mind you  ;D

magpie seanie

People are so reactionary. Fact is the side is decent and improving in several ways but wildly inconsistent. A bit like the teams I grew up watching in the mid 80's. Which isn't good enough to be honest. I'm not convinced sacking Ole and bringing in Pochettino is the answer. He has never won a trophy as a manger and in fact threw away a league to Leicester. Lots of people see him as the panacea for all ills but I wonder....Managing United is not like managing Spurs or Southampton.

Good to see Ole getting a bit thick after the game. No harm.....good to see the bit of fire from him. Yes I know all teams seem to get fcuked over with fixture arrangements by times, not just United, but it shouldn't happen. It doesn't happen in other European countries and it's especially crazy in the current circumstances where supporters don't have to be catered for. Despite everything United are actually in a better position in the league than this time last year. Need to string a few wins together though.

NAG1

Quote from: magpie seanie on November 09, 2020, 09:43:56 AM

People are so reactionary. Fact is the side is decent and improving in several ways but wildly inconsistent. A bit like the teams I grew up watching in the mid 80's. Which isn't good enough to be honest. I'm not convinced sacking Ole and bringing in Pochettino is the answer. He has never won a trophy as a manger and in fact threw away a league to Leicester. Lots of people see him as the panacea for all ills but I wonder....Managing United is not like managing Spurs or Southampton.

Good to see Ole getting a bit thick after the game. No harm.....good to see the bit of fire from him. Yes I know all teams seem to get fcuked over with fixture arrangements by times, not just United, but it shouldn't happen. It doesn't happen in other European countries and it's especially crazy in the current circumstances where supporters don't have to be catered for. Despite everything United are actually in a better position in the league than this time last year. Need to string a few wins together though.

Exactly MS, because it is United the swings are always bigger and more exaggerated.

Poch is being held up as a Messiah by a lot of fans and yeah the truth is he is unproven at the very top level. If they are going to back Ole then they need to back him and let him at it.

There are a lot of unanswered questions and they are seriously hit and miss, we may just hope that they click again and get on a serious run there is really no doubt that the fire power is there going forward to do so.

Milltown Row2

Its not the firepower that would be the main issues.....get rid of Pogba and teach Maguire how to defend would be a start
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

GJL

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 09, 2020, 11:00:53 AM
Its not the firepower that would be the main issues.....get rid of Pogba and teach Maguire how to defend would be a start

I thought Maguire was brilliant on Saturday. Was my MOTM.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: GJL on November 09, 2020, 11:03:36 AM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 09, 2020, 11:00:53 AM

I thought Maguire was brilliant on Saturday. Was my MOTM.

How many times have you said that?

Utd's poor performances are down to poor basic defending, shot shy v Arsenal and Chelsea
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

BennyCake

UEFA and their champions league is the problem not the PL.

Given the tight schedule this season the CL should have been knockout, not this boring group stage bollix.

Cunny Funt

Quote from: BennyCake on November 09, 2020, 12:05:36 PM

UEFA and their champions league is the problem not the PL.

Given the tight schedule this season the CL should have been knockout, not this boring group stage bollix.

PL was the problem. After a long trip to Turkey that Everton game should have been scheduled for Sunday afternoon instead of Saturday 12.30pm.

Maroon Manc

Quote from: NAG1 on November 09, 2020, 10:15:20 AM

Exactly MS, because it is United the swings are always bigger and more exaggerated.

Poch is being held up as a Messiah by a lot of fans and yeah the truth is he is unproven at the very top level. If they are going to back Ole then they need to back him and let him at it.

There are a lot of unanswered questions and they are seriously hit and miss, we may just hope that they click again and get on a serious run there is really no doubt that the fire power is there going forward to do so.

I hope I'm wrong but Ole isn't the answer, last Sunday against Arsenal seem to be the breaking point with every red I know.

After 2 years we should look more like a team, going into any game its hard to know how United will setup. We've got a lot of top players especially in the attacking areas,. probably the best since 2009 in terms of depth so we're bound to get good results. We've had 10 matches in the league and CL and 6 of those performances have been diabolical, every bit as bad as what we saw under Moyes and probably worse considering the talent we've got. Look there's probably mitigating circumstances surrounding the earlier performances but in the last 2 weeks alone we've seen 3 disgraceful performances against Chelsea, Arsenal and the Turkish team.

I really hope I'm wrong and he can turn it around but if we have another sticky patch before xmas then he's likely to go.