Most naturally talented

Started by gaafan123, November 19, 2006, 10:18:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gaafan123

Who in your opinion is most talented ulster player of last 20 years?

Personally i think it is down's greg blaney..

oneillcup2007

I would have placed Blaney as Brainey and talented, but Brain and brawn also played a major part in his game. 
In terms of natural skills now that we have moved on from the Frank Mc guigan era and probably inclusive of this era, for his application and consistency of talent there can only be one winner, step forward in Armagh they have the bard of Armagh in Tyrone we have the bane of Armagh "Peter the great Canavan"

oneillcup2007

Yip I agree, in fairness threads like this are like arseholes everyones got one in them. Its an excuse to get a windup going or just lazy posting inc my reply.

Uladh

In no particular order:

p canavan
a cush
j treanor
d marsden
h downey
m mchugh
a scullion
e hughes

fearglasmor

Quote from: ONeill on November 19, 2006, 10:55:15 AM
Cue the anti-Ulster board campaigners!

Sure isn't Ulster a great wee province all the same.

Fear Boirche

Probably Greg Blaney,  but John 'Shorty' Treanor must be up there - a classic flawed genius

Cloc Mor

Shorty was a genius with the ball, yet lacking in one of the most important commodities necessary to make it at the highest level - A SET OF BALLS.  Blaney - all time great.

J70

Overall, would have to be Canavan. Doesn't mean the likes of Blaney and McHugh weren't tremendously gifted players though, or that Canavan didn't practice relentlessly to sharpen and improve his skills (I'm assuming he did - maybe he didn't need to!).

theoriginalmup

maurice fitz
stephen o brien
kevin o brien
paul curren

Rufus T Firefly

Quote from: Take Your Points on November 19, 2006, 04:43:09 PM
Since we have lost Stew and none of the Harps crew have leapt in, it is up to me as his schoolmate at Greenpark CBS to nominated Jonny Corvan as the most naturally talented in Armagh.  Unfortunately, his talent was largely badly managed and lost. Even the College boys would agree with Corvan's nomination as the most naturally talented Armagh player.

I have nothing further to add!

On second thoughts I have - if we are talking natural talent only, then Corvan has no peer in Ulster! Simple as that!   8)

charlie linkbox

Forgive my Monaghan bias but surely Eugene "Nudie" Hughes has to be the most naturally gifted. Of the three allstars he won  – one was at corner back (1979) and two were at corner forward (1985 and 1988). As this demonstrates an ability to excel at both ends of the pitch and not merely in a specific position, I believe Nudie to be the most gifted. No other player has achieved this as far as I'm aware.

maddog

Quotethe bane of Armagh "Peter the great Canavan"

Hardly, for the vast majority of his career he failed to score from play against us. I would consider O'Neill much more of a "bane" than Costeau.

full back

For pure talent it is hard to look past Maurice Fitz

Barney

Maurice Fitz definitely.

Paddy "Power" Joyce

Michael Donnellan

Kieran McDonald

Declan Browne

Rory Gallagher

Dessie Dolan

The Bottom Brick

Maurice Fitz by a country mile