Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

the colonel

From Hoganstand

Antrim boss Liam Bradley has taken the bold decision to drop goalkeepers Sean McGreevy and John Finucane from his squad ahead of the new season.

Entering his third year as manager, Bradley admitted both McGreevy, a former All-Star nominee, and Finuance, who kept goal in last year's Ulster final, were bitterly disappointed when informed of his decision.

"Neither of them were very happy. But that is my job. These things have to be done. No-one likes doing it. But it comes with the territory," he said in The Irish News.

Bradley has replaced the duo with Davitt's clubman Sean O'Neill and Chris Kerr, who is second choice to Fermanagh 'keeper Ronan Gallagher at St. Gall's.

O'Neill currently plays for Dungannon Swifts in the Irish League and has been capped at underage level for Northern Ireland.

"I went to see him playing for his club in a couple of games last year. He is really comfortable on the ball and he is a great fielder of the ball. He is an ideal goalkeeper," added Bradley, who has also drafted James Laverty (Cargin), Mark McAleese (Portglenone), Damien McNeill (Rasharkin) and Mark Sweeney (St. Brigid's) into his squad.

the difference between success and failure is energy

CentreHalfBack

Quote from: the colonel on November 18, 2010, 11:49:03 AM

Bradley has replaced the duo with Davitt's clubman Sean O'Neill and Chris Kerr, who is second choice to Fermanagh 'keeper Ronan Gallagher at St. Gall's.
O'Neill currently plays for Dungannon Swifts in the Irish League and has been capped at underage level for Northern Ireland.

"I went to see him playing for his club in a couple of games last year. He is really comfortable on the ball and he is a great fielder of the ball. He is an ideal goalkeeper," added Bradley, who has also drafted James Laverty (Cargin), Mark McAleese (Portglenone), Damien McNeill (Rasharkin) and Mark Sweeney (St. Brigid's) into his squad.

I have not seen Bradley at to many club games.

O'Neill plays outfield for his club, so when did he watch him last year?

How can he pick Kerr when he can't get on his own club team.  :-\

New season - new reason

the colonel

Mick McCann wins replacement allstar, im sure it must be for the 2009 team?

imtommygunn

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/northern_ireland/gaelic_games/9241168.stm

Always liked Sean Kelly as a player - I think he's been St Galls most influential one over the last few years.

I would have to say I'm disappointed though that a) he is retiring at 28 and b) one of his reasons is his unhappiness at his performances for the county.

If he's unhappy with his performances then he can still go out and rectify that surely :(

I just think he has a lot more to offer yet.

glens abu

Sean Kelly a big loss for Antrim.

Winnie Peg

Heard James Loughrey will not be playing for Antrim next year. Him and Kelly are two big losses.

CentreHalfBack

Quote from: Winnie Peg on December 06, 2010, 09:06:56 PM
Heard James Loughrey will not be playing for Antrim next year. Him and Kelly are two big losses.

Loughrey is taking a year to concentrate on his studies.
New season - new reason

saffron sam2

Paul Buchanan and Jim Herron take over at Hannahstown.

Naomh Pol looking for a new managerial team.
the breathing of the vanished lies in acres round my feet

Milltown Row2

When was the last time Paul took a senior team?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

the colonel

From Hoganstand

Antrim manager Liam Bradley has included nine St. Gall's players in his McKenna Cup squad.

Bradley was forced to plan without his St. Gall's contingent for last season's McKenna Cup campaign and much of the National League as they swept to All-Ireland club glory. But their defeat to Crossmaglen in this year's Ulster club championship means the Milltown men will be able to play a full part in 2011.

The St. Gall's players included are Chris Kerr, Colin Brady, Andy McClean, Anto Healy, Aodhan Gallagher, Terry O'Neill, Kevin and CJ McGourty and Kevin Niblock.

The newcomers to Bradley's squad are Sean O'Neill, Brendan McCann, Mark Sweeney, Richard Johnston and James Laverty. Antrim's first game in the McKenna will be against Armagh in the Athletic Grounds on Sunday, January 9.

Antrim (McKenna Cup squad): C Kerr, C Brady, A McClean, K O'Boyle, T Scullion, J Crozier, M McAleese, J Loughrey, R Johnston, A Healy, M McCann, B McCann, B Herron, A Gallagher, D McCann, T O'Neill, S O'Neill, K McGourty, J Laverty, K Brady, T McCann, M Dougan, E McNeill, CJ McGourty, M Magill, P Cunningham, K Niblock, A Douglas, M Sweeney.

Milltown Row2

9 Nine players !!!! no need for winter training at the club then ;)
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

ONeill

Always surprised when they overlook Kieran. He's a heartbeat of the St Gall's side. A fine playmaker. I suppose his age, pot belly and developing baldness may give the wrong impression.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Minder

Quote from: ONeill on December 16, 2010, 09:45:28 PM
Always surprised when they overlook Kieran. He's a heartbeat of the St Gall's side. A fine playmaker. I suppose his age, pot belly and developing baldness may give the wrong impression.

He will be up with the hurlers though, will he not?
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Pat Mustard

Who is Brendan McCann? What club?