Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NorthAntrim

Quote from: EOC1923 on August 01, 2023, 03:23:30 PM
Quote from: barnish oggie on August 01, 2023, 02:57:44 PM
Quote from: EOC1923 on August 01, 2023, 01:06:04 PM
Poor for the players involved, but this stuff in common place in Antrim. Tir Na Nog have now pulled out of wed nights reserve champ game v Cargin citing injuries. Why even enter the competition, whole flock of young players itching for a game left with nothing.

Because up until last night's planned light session to prepare for the game, when it became apparent there weren't enough players available, the intention was to play the match.
Injuries and hurling championship were the excuses used, shouldn't enter these competitions if you can't field in them all.

Reserve football championship and inter hurling 3 days apart. Hard to fit it all into the calender but better timing is needed

Caesar

There definitely seems to be a very high percentage of reserve games get called off. My own club had many games cancelled on us.

Hopefully something can be done to address whatever the problem is, because the absence of reserve football leaves a massive jump between minor football and senior football.

delgany

Quote from: Caesar on August 01, 2023, 04:05:11 PM
There definitely seems to be a very high percentage of reserve games get called off. My own club had many games cancelled on us.

Hopefully something can be done to address whatever the problem is, because the absence of reserve football leaves a massive jump between minor football and senior football.

The idea of playing reserve fixtures on same day (Sundays) as senior game, just doesnt work for a majority of clubs.Reserve Games on a Friday and leave them be. To be fair , CCC have tried U19 / U20 but buy in has been poor.
When minor moves back to U18, will help but Id suggest, final year minors are allowed to play Senior Reserves.

EOC1923

Quote from: NorthAntrim on August 01, 2023, 03:55:11 PM
Poor for the players involved, but this stuff in common place in Antrim. Tir Na Nog have now pulled out of wed nights reserve champ game v Cargin citing injuries. Why even enter the competition, whole flock of young players itching for a game left with nothing.

Because up until last night's planned light session to prepare for the game, when it became apparent there weren't enough players available, the intention was to play the match.
Injuries and hurling championship were the excuses used, shouldn't enter these competitions if you can't field in them all.

Reserve football championship and inter hurling 3 days apart. Hard to fit it all into the calender but better timing is needed
So the poor fixture planner should look out in case Reserve football and intermediate hurling clash or aren't as close as 3 days apart? He's a human being not a supercomputer !

breakingball

Reserve should be separate players from senior. If you don't have 40+ footballers available on a regular basisthen don't enter 2 teams.

Maybe scrap reserve leagues, go back to division 1-5 and if your reserves are good enough for div3 so be it. All played at same time on same day.

Sportacus

It was a terrible decision to switch to U17.  I know a lot of lads left twiddling their thumbs - too young for Senior.  The U19 thing was an after thought. It's no surprise it's a flop.

NorthAntrim

Quote from: EOC1923 on August 01, 2023, 04:28:51 PM
Quote from: NorthAntrim on August 01, 2023, 03:55:11 PM

So the poor fixture planner should look out in case Reserve football and intermediate hurling clash or aren't as close as 3 days apart? He's a human being not a supercomputer !

well its a major crossover of players. the same as say randalstown senior footballers to senior hurlers. If clubs have these big squads play reserve championship the same weekend the seniors play..then were into a referee debate. theres no right answer btw. possibly an earlier calender for reserve

InnocentByStander

Quote from: breakingball on August 01, 2023, 04:32:21 PM
Reserve should be separate players from senior. If you don't have 40+ footballers available on a regular basisthen don't enter 2 teams.

Maybe scrap reserve leagues, go back to division 1-5 and if your reserves are good enough for div3 so be it. All played at same time on same day.

This is how it should be, reserve league basically means nothing and its not fair on the lads who are training trying to push into a senior team playing in a league at the end of the day is not competitive.
Also doesn't mean clubs that don't have great numbers feel under pressure to field a reserve team   

Milltown Row2

Who agreed to change back to reserve and not keeping clubs second teams in lower divisions?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

country bumpkin

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on August 01, 2023, 05:23:20 PM
Who agreed to change back to reserve and not keeping clubs second teams in lower divisions?

Our county in their wisdom called a halt to 2nd or indeed third teams playing in Championships...

Milltown Row2

Quote from: country bumpkin on August 01, 2023, 07:11:52 PM

Our county in their wisdom called a halt to 2nd or indeed third teams playing in Championships...

I defo think that's not right, even though we won junior while having a senior team! But keeping the reserves in normal leagues I like..
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

country bumpkin

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on August 01, 2023, 07:17:31 PM

I defo think that's not right, even though we won junior while having a senior team! But keeping the reserves in normal leagues I like..
[/quote
Cargin won a junior and two intermediate titles and the powers that be called a halt to 2nd and 3rd teams in junior or Intermediate championship.....
When was the last time 2nd or even third teams were involved in junior or Intermediate championships....??

Milltown Row2

Quote from: country bumpkin on August 01, 2023, 07:59:48 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on August 01, 2023, 07:17:31 PM

[/quote
Cargin won a junior and two intermediate titles and the powers that be called a halt to 2nd and 3rd teams in junior or Intermediate championship.....
When was the last time 2nd or even third teams were involved in junior or Intermediate championships....??

Not sure but I was playing senior and part of management team of our junior hurlers when we beat McDermotts at Casement one year, we got to the final the following year and were promoted to div2 when our seniors were Div one, I'd imagine it was around that time it was hurling and football, guessing early 2000's ?

paddyjohn

2002/2003 I think it was. After that it was stand alone reserve competitions.

antrimman667

Quote from: breakingball on August 01, 2023, 04:32:21 PM

wouldnt be enough referees for the one day ....