Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

culchy1

we will never that now skull, there are good managers in the club, its just most of them have either been there done it before or
they dont want to try it just yet.

we have spent far too much on managers in the past without anything to show for it, but if no one else is willing do it within the club then you have to go down that route.

CSC

Quote from: theskull1 on November 19, 2007, 01:48:28 PM
Quote from: culchy1 on November 19, 2007, 01:11:22 PM
Quote from: loughshore lad on November 19, 2007, 12:57:19 PM
Culchy - how did yous get on this season with the Moortown man at the helm? (His name escapes me at the moment he was Quinn)

we done not so bad l'shore lad. aye it was enda quinn from the moortown.
finished up second in div2 on points difference, 6 points to be exact.
we are now waiting on a playoff with second bottom of div 1 to see if we go up or not.
but dunloy are bottom at the min with 5 games left, so their involvement in ulster has held this up.
it will probably be lamh dhearg or moneyglass we play as dunloy will get enuf pts to get them safe.

enda has actually quit as our manager a couple of days after our last match he phoned up to say he couldnt do it anymore because of work committments, a job he had been doing since jan, seems a bit strange with one game to go that hes quit,
but its up to himself, not the best way to leave a club.
maybe hes been offered the moortown job! ;)

Would youse not have done as well as youse have done Culchy without having to pay a manager? Surely there are leaders in Rasharkin prepared to look after their own? Same goes to Creggan and Tir na Og and any others forking out large amounts for outside managers.

Regarding Creggan, we have always have local management right up to HMcG, but it is hard to argue that outside managers didn't work with Creggan, as both hMcG and MM have brought us up to Div 1 and kept us there. It has a lot to do with the local lads not listening to local management, but respect outsiders.

theskull1

So money well spent then CSC.... never mind the ethics? I'm sure if youse introduced a player bonus scheme, it might get youse more success.  :(

Success at any cost eh?
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

imtommygunn

Skull have you ever considered that maybe some clubs don't have someone either willing or capable to take their own club team and if the club is ambitiousand don't have someone capable from within then they need to look further afield than their own parish?

Also consider the two words willing and capable in there. Some clubs have plenty capable who won't be willing and some have plenty willing who won't be capable.

The ethos of the GAA being voluntary is great etc and maybe that's well and good in Dunloy where you have the ability / numbers willing to coach but life ain't like that everywhere.

theskull1

I have considered it itg. I don't know how a club can call itself ambitious if it doesn't have the people within it's club membership to take on these roles. Paying for success says more about the affluence in the area rather than the ambition of the club.
If you have ever heard of succession planning then you would know that it is the clubs responsibility to ensure that people within its membership develop the capabilities and know how to take roles like senior management on and ensure that replacements are groomed down the line.

"The ethos of the GAA being voluntary is great etc and maybe that's well and good in Dunloy where you have the ability / numbers willing to coach but life ain't like that everywhere."

How can you call yourself a GAA man when you come out with a line like that!!! We have plenty of coaches who take on coaching roles who have plenty to learn and are far from the finished article, but as a club we make sure that they come from within the membership. It is our club after all.
I cannot believe you hold such little regard for the volunteer ethos.

maxpower

Terrific result for the footballers, unfortunately i couldn't get to Casement yesterday but i have to say Dunloy have been playing brilliant football for the last few months, going back to when they comprehensively beat Ballymena in the Championship they haven't looked back.

Too beat both Kinawley and Newbridge without perhaps our best player (Parrott) is quite an achievement

What happens next????

imtommygunn

Maybe I didn't convey that volunteer part well...

I have coached underage teams, have helped out regularly at very young underage coaching sessions, done certificates, trained my b******s off etc so the volunteer thing I respect and value. I also would never ask my club for travelling expenses when many others did.

However...

Not every club has a person who is suitable to do their job - that is my point. What defines suitable? Well suitable to me should be a person who has one of the following a) experience - whether that be through coaching underage or having previously done the job b) an ex-player who holds the respect of the players.

I know that I come from a small club and I can tell you we have one, and one person only, from our area willing to manage our senior team. So what is the best course of action - just let him do it because he's from our club and it would honour the volunteer ethos or set out our stall as deciding we want to be here and he can't take us there?

Now maybe we're an exception and Dunloy is thriving with up and coming coaches but my point stands as you need two things - willingness and ability. If you are an ambitious club - ambitious meaning you can be one who wants to go places but needs help to do this - then I don't see a problem with outsiders.

In a perfect world everyone in your club will be a volunteer, you'll have a surplus of people willing to do things and you'll have structures whereby coaches learn from the ground up and you always have a conveyor belt of people willing and able to manage. Not every club has that luxury - particularly smaller ones.

I know you have a bee in your bonnet about this and in principle your point is valid. However in practice it ain't always like that. If every club that had an outside manager turned down willing ,and able, volunteers from their own club then your point would be completely valid. Can you tell me this is the case?

That's my opinion - you're entitled to yours but ,in my opinion,circumstance dictates that everything ain't as black and white as you may think.

P.S. Well done to St Galls/Dunloy. Hope you both go on to lift your respective trophies.

Balboa

I have to agree with tommygunn, we would be classed as a small club and have had 3 different managers in the last 15 years. When one gets fed up the other steps in but there is only so many ways to say the same things over and over again. We just dont have enough suitable candidates to manage our senior hurling team so at some stage will have to go outside the club and pay someone.

theskull1

Quote from: Balboa on November 19, 2007, 09:03:14 PM
I have to agree with tommygunn, we would be classed as a small club and have had 3 different managers in the last 15 years. When one gets fed up the other steps in but there is only so many ways to say the same things over and over again. We just dont have enough suitable candidates to manage our senior hurling team so at some stage will have to go outside the club and pay someone.

Maybe if youse started developing a coaching structure youse mightn't be in that position? There are other solutions other than paying an outside man. The only difference is that it doesn't happen overnight.

And it's not as if we have huge numbers of candidates queuing up to take our Senior teams btw

imtommygunn

We now have people in place for underage etc who are improving the situation. However you need the resources to make thse structures work.

I can only use my club as an example as it is the only one I know the internals of. There are plenty more like it though.

You don't have people queuing up - you're hardly begging for people though and you seem to have some young blood too as - if I'm right - is Ernie not part of your football management set-up?

Anyway no point going round in circles - circumstances can sometimes dictate it's best to get an outside manager. Now some of these managers are mercenaries no doubt but that's another issue.

Chamonmofo

St Paul'shave lauched a new website

Logon and have a look

www.stpaulsgac.com

All members, past and present REGISTER NOW

imtommygunn

I see reading on hogan stand that the Cavan champions Dunloy play on Sunday have two county boys, a boy who won ulster with cavan in 97 and they won division 1 in cavan last year beating county champions, I think, on the way.

Sounds like not going to be an easy game for Dunloy. Anyone who can beat the Tyrone champions would usually be worth their salt.

Still hopefully they can raise their game and do it.

CSC

Quote from: theskull1 on November 19, 2007, 09:16:05 PM
Quote from: Balboa on November 19, 2007, 09:03:14 PM

Maybe if youse started developing a coaching structure youse mightn't be in that position? There are other solutions other than paying an outside man. The only difference is that it doesn't happen overnight.

And it's not as if we have huge numbers of candidates queuing up to take our Senior teams btw

Regarding Creggan and coaching structures for coaches, we have that in place. We have 3 coaches with every underage team, with a level 1 with most teams, and we are starting to see the benefits.
However, with the seniors, we had to break a Div 2 mentality within the senior players and we brought in HMcG to do that, and he was very successful in developing a new ethos within the club. Honestly, no local manager would have been able to do it so the club was right in bringing in an outsider; a decision that was made wasn't an easy and one that wasn't fully accepted around the area. Regarding MM, everybody puts an emphasis on the Creggan chequebook and less on 1- The  McAteer connection, 2- Taking on a small club, little pressure and exposure after the Mayo debacle.

Give the club credit, both men that we have brought in to manage the clubs are not mer

nrico2006

QuoteI see reading on hogan stand that the Cavan champions Dunloy play on Sunday have two county boys, a boy who won ulster with cavan in 97 and they won division 1 in cavan last year beating county champions, I think, on the way.

Sounds like not going to be an easy game for Dunloy. Anyone who can beat the Tyrone champions would usually be worth their salt.

Still hopefully they can raise their game and do it.

They didn't beat the Tyrone champions, and this years Tyrone Intermediate Champions were Killyman, a side that are no means the best in Intermediate football in Tyrone - they were bottom of the league and if they had lost the Championship final they would have been relegated to Junior football.

I hope Dunloy win it, especially after some of yer mans comments on Hogan Stand.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

CiKe

lads is there a radio station i can get the Galls game on over the internet on Sunday?