Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

themac_23

Quote from: Belfast GAA man on September 24, 2020, 11:48:09 AM
Quote from: Dunsilly King on September 24, 2020, 11:11:24 AM
Quote from: themac_23 on September 23, 2020, 11:26:55 PM
Quote from: Belfast GAA man on September 23, 2020, 08:18:20 PM
Quote from: bannside on September 23, 2020, 07:35:33 PM
I didnt think Peter Doherty took payment for any of the jobs he has done so thats no suprise that Moneyglass Intermediate success was not delivered by a paid manager. Had Gerard Mc Nulty delivered for Creggan (they couldnt have got much closer to be fair) that success would also be cost free too.
there is a Saying in Belfast regarding Lagan and a bubble BS - The Mcnultys took Madden's 40 pieces of silver to coach against thier  own have no doubt about it

That's not true at all, they took no money from Creggan.

Belfast Gaa man, what an inappropriate name you have as you clearly not impassioned with the core gaa values coming on here trying to vilify good Gaa men with not an iotoa of evidence to smear good peoples name, who in truth have made massive contributions to the mental health of the communities with the teams they have coached. Creggan did loose on Sunday, but we as a community have been treated to great summer from June when we were allowed to return to our games coming out of covid. Those players and the drive and expertise of the mangers/coaches have been a blessing to our community having an enjoyable three months. And I commend all those clubs and management teams to put themselves out there, at risk from covid to themselves and their families, for all our benefit, and yours, you de-energising hoor. ;D lol
Ouch ! the 'core values' of the GAA are not taking a team against your own club who Taught you so much - Creggan put out st endas I believe. What motivates people to do this, if not money, baffles me! I love the stories where a club man takes a team right thorugh from u12 to win a senior championship - they are the heroes of the GAA DK
Maybe the motivation is that they want to manage a senior team and the opportunity presented itself? maybe his own club already had a management team in place who took them to an all Ireland Intermediate final and had a good working relationship with the club and players, should a coach with ambition just wait until that 1 job becomes available?

paddyjohn

Jeepers lads this board is some craic.. Middle of a global pandemic and we are getting our knickers in a twist over the head of a few lads getting paid or not getting paid or whatever the case may be.

Surely those complaining should be looking to see how they can help their own club and divisional boards.. From my lofty perch it seems to me that City GAA is dropping in standards bar 1 or 2 clubs. Take a look at the amount of amalgamations there is, MR2 always said there was far to many clubs in the city, i never agreed but it's starting to look as if he was correct. A junior hurling title and a potential junior football title heading down to the city this season wouldn't exactly be a fruitful season for city teams.

Belfast GAA man

Na Glinntí Glasa

Quote from: Belfast GAA man on September 24, 2020, 03:27:32 PM
is there u21 this yeaR?

no, they gave it a miss this year when the new fixtures came out.

i think this would of been the last year of U21 grade anyway would it not as we are moving to U13, 15, 17 etc?
hurl like f**k boi!

saffman

Regards the McNultys @ Creggan I can guarantee you they didnt leave St. endas for money but for other reasons.

Thomas was actually still part of the st endas backroom that reached the AI Intermediate whilst Gerard was at Creggan so I think you'll find your barking up the wrong tree

paddyjohn

Quote from: hardstation on September 24, 2020, 09:07:34 PM
Quote from: paddyjohn on September 24, 2020, 02:12:24 PM
Jeepers lads this board is some craic.. Middle of a global pandemic and we are getting our knickers in a twist over the head of a few lads getting paid or not getting paid or whatever the case may be.

Surely those complaining should be looking to see how they can help their own club and divisional boards.. From my lofty perch it seems to me that City GAA is dropping in standards bar 1 or 2 clubs. Take a look at the amount of amalgamations there is, MR2 always said there was far to many clubs in the city, i never agreed but it's starting to look as if he was correct. A junior hurling title and a potential junior football title heading down to the city this season wouldn't exactly be a fruitful season for city teams.
It's terrible. Although, only one club outside of Belfast winning a senior football championship since the 60s is a pretty sorry tale too.

That it is pal.. but no dodgy birth certificates down the country 😆

BigBallWeeBall

Maybe the motivation is that they want to manage a senior team and the opportunity presented itself? maybe his own club already had a management team in place who took them to an all Ireland Intermediate final and had a good working relationship with the club and players, should a coach with ambition just wait until that 1 job becomes available?
[/quote]
Some worthy points the Mac but I would see it differently from you. Ambition is a key driver in some cases yet I would find it hard to see a Dunloy man coach Loughgiel or a Rossa coach take a senior Johnnies team no matter what was on offer support wise and when you add in the normal genuine reluctance to face your home club I find it hard to accept . In my humble opinion, in these circumstances,  it would be best to either: 1) go outside your own county or
2) fight to take your own club team to satisfy the desire to hold a senior coach/manager position.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: BigBallWeeBall on September 24, 2020, 10:49:13 PM

Some worthy points the Mac but I would see it differently from you. Ambition is a key driver in some cases yet I would find it hard to see a Dunloy man coach Loughgiel or a Rossa coach take a senior Johnnies team no matter what was on offer support wise and when you add in the normal genuine reluctance to face your home club I find it hard to accept . In my humble opinion, in these circumstances,  it would be best to either: 1) go outside your own county or
2) fight to take your own club team to satisfy the desire to hold a senior coach/manager position.
[/quote]

So you end up taking your senior team, you've been involved in managing juvenile teams, and you fancy taking on another challenge, no biggy.

Sean McGuinness took Antrim hurling to the brink, Jim Nelson came in and took it to another level. Sean went on and took Down to winning Ulster against Antrim, I'll never forget the resentment from Antrim men against big Sean, Sean is a hurling man through and through, the promotion of hurling in Ulster and raising standards, thats how I seen it at the time of what he was doing.

If managers are raising  standards in other clubs the Antrim benefits from that, Aghnagallon have been the best improvement team this year. Creggan for me played the best football and Cargin grinder out another win, Antrim will find players from those teams in the future.

Would a home grown manager done the same? Who knows? In the hurling front the Johnnies Rossa and Dunloy all home grown passionate men, this  year I think is the first time we ever in hurling had an outside manager ( I think) I think it worked very well for us in this strange season.

Never against it as players are fickle and strange beings... hearing the same voice or carrying baggage into having the same managers never helps. Complete outside faces/voices has a place
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Bronco

It shouldn't have a place in the GAA though, that's the point. What has made the GAA special is that you play (and manage) for your local club.

Increasingly however this has changed and both players and managers are making lucrative moves,and if we continue down this road we'll end up destroying the GAA. It needs to be stopped. That won't be easy but something needs to be done.

imtommygunn

It's already been established this guy didn't go to Creggan for a "lucrative" move. How often are players doing it? Not that often I'd suggest. Yes there are exceptions but they are exceptions.

I think it is over egged the whole thing. There are boys in counties with much more clout in them might be receiving a half decent, though not life changing in any way shape or form, amount of money but I don't think there are too many about here.

So you shouldn't manage or play for another club? What if you can't get a gig with your own? Suck it up?

Milltown Row2

Destroying the GAA?

Jesus, seeing as you have put it like that .....

Players and managers are making lucrative moves, a lot of managers getting paid 'expenses' but players now making lucrative moves?

What's made the GAA special is that 99% of people grow up and play for their parish and never move or manage other clubs, that will continue to happen as clubs are made up of families and local schools and communities, hyperbole'ing stuff won't be making it anymore than what it is
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

BigBallWeeBall

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on September 24, 2020, 11:25:43 PM
Quote from: BigBallWeeBall on September 24, 2020, 10:49:13 PM

So you end up taking your senior team, you've been involved in managing juvenile teams, and you fancy taking on another challenge, no biggy.

Sean McGuinness took Antrim hurling to the brink, Jim Nelson came in and took it to another level. Sean went on and took Down to winning Ulster against Antrim, I'll never forget the resentment from Antrim men against big Sean, Sean is a hurling man through and through, the promotion of hurling in Ulster and raising standards, thats how I seen it at the time of what he was doing.

If managers are raising  standards in other clubs the Antrim benefits from that, Aghnagallon have been the best improvement team this year. Creggan for me played the best football and Cargin grinder out another win, Antrim will find players from those teams in the future.

Would a home grown manager done the same? Who knows? In the hurling front the Johnnies Rossa and Dunloy all home grown passionate men, this  year I think is the first time we ever in hurling had an outside manager ( I think) I think it worked very well for us in this strange season.

Never against it as players are fickle and strange beings... hearing the same voice or carrying baggage into having the same managers never helps. Complete outside faces/voices has a place
[/quote]
As usual MR2 your like the wee lassie swinging on her Falls Road lamppost, round and round going nowhere. Another mighty fine ramble and avoiding my points about not taking teams against your own club like the managers of Creggan + Aghagallon have done with varying success.
Using big Sean time in Antrim hurling as an example is flawed as its club were talking about .  I can't remember him taking another club though in Antrim to play against his beloved Sarsfields especially not 2 strong teams of the time inRossa & StPauls from the same parish.

Belfast GAA man

to follow that logic MR2 if the managers can transfer about sure why dont the Players too and have a sky Sports transfer window... where is the line?

Milltown Row2

Players in Belfast and other cities, have moved around, it happens and the GAA is still going.

What are you doing about it?

Belfast GAA man

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on September 25, 2020, 10:03:52 AM
Players in Belfast and other cities, have moved around, it happens and the GAA is still going.

What are you doing about it?
I take a juvenile team and On club committee so that's my role. It's up to Croke to enforce the rules . That's their role