Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milltown Row2

Quote from: imtommygunn on August 21, 2011, 09:51:21 PM
It's a bit of a longer process to integrate good young midfielders into a senior team as it's so physical in there so plenty of time to come good yet.

The corner forward I'd thought would have been playing.

Are Creggan in semis? Creggan and Lamh Dhearg could be a tight enough game.

Creggan won handy. Would be tough alright for the young lad but he's a big physical lad already.

Just watching the games today were depressing, our lads were in Newry the other day playing Kilmacud Crokes in a challenge game (which they own) and what we got playing Moneyglass today was nothing, they had a decent FF but couldn't get the ball to him, their corner back was like a mammoth and looked well outta position.

Funny though and said this today to some of the lads, unless you finish off a team when you have the chance you could get caught like Cargin were today.

There you are, my wee stalker, kiss kiss
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

imtommygunn

Who was the full forward for Moneyglass i wonder?

Cargin can get caught but St Galls are too wylie for that.

Are McLean or/and CJ back yet?

Milltown Row2

No O'Neill, McClean, and CJ came on late as a sub. The panel is very strong at the minute, 3 new lads got a run out  today and Seany Burns managed two scores when he came on for his 21st season!! Bloody Peter Pan
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Gold

Who were the 3 St Galls new lads?

Is O'Hare starting these days?
"Cheeky Charlie McKenna..."

Hoof Hearted

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on August 21, 2011, 10:07:34 PM
Quote from: imtommygunn on August 21, 2011, 09:51:21 PM
It's a bit of a longer process to integrate good young midfielders into a senior team as it's so physical in there so plenty of time to come good yet.

The corner forward I'd thought would have been playing.

Are Creggan in semis? Creggan and Lamh Dhearg could be a tight enough game.

Creggan won handy. Would be tough alright for the young lad but he's a big physical lad already.

Just watching the games today were depressing, our lads were in Newry the other day playing Kilmacud Crokes in a challenge game (which they own) and what we got playing Moneyglass today was nothing, they had a decent FF but couldn't get the ball to him, their corner back was like a mammoth and looked well outta position.

Funny though and said this today to some of the lads, unless you finish off a team when you have the chance you could get caught like Cargin were today.

There you are, my wee stalker, kiss kiss

which do the own, Kilmacud or Newry ?
Treble 6 Nations Fantasy Rugby champion 2008, 2011 & 2012

Milltown Row2

OverThePostsAWide

Was Ryan Murray (minor) not playing corner forward for Lamh Dhearg and scored the opening goal?

Cargin were 7pts up with about 10 to go. They were comfortably 7pts the better team but got caught by 2 opportunistic (if a bit freakish) goals and then collapsed.

Lamhs first goal started with what looked like an intended pass from Cunningham from about 40m out. The Cargin fullback flapped at it and Brendan Herron caught it behind and bore down on goal. The Cargin keeper made a great save from his initial shot and then Herron fly-kicked the rebound and it was bundled over the line quite possibly off one of the fullbacks. The Cargin fullback had a good game but was badly caught out twice by Herron for goals (this and Ryan Murray's opener).

The second goal was as freakish as it was brilliant. The Cargin keeper gathered the ball off his line and tried a long delivery from about the 20m line. It went straight to Conor Murray behind the midfield. He burst forward while the keeper dithered. Murray had only one thing on his mind and let rip with a screamer from about 40m. It hit the net just under the crossbar as the keeper flapped at it. An absolutely brilliant goal. Murray was probably the most remarkable player on show - great Fielding and running - but that was possibly his only accurate kick all day! It was a shame for the keeper too, because he had been doing well, I thought.

That brought it level and Lynch scored a great point under pressure for Lamhs to go 1 up on the stroke of time. Cargin equalised with a soft free then in injury time. Game over we thought in the stand, but there was still time for Cunningham to take the lead again with a great outside-of-the-boot free from 45m (he had missed a few earlier in the game) and for Tomas McCann to miss off the upright at the other end after another soft "let's have a draw" free this time about 25m out a bit to the right of the posts. Lamhs then finally made the referee's mind up with 2 strong points to finish as Cargin collapsed.

Cargin were an absolute disgrace after the whistle. There was a running battle for 5 minutes or more. Subs and others jumped the fence. Not only is Antrim football shite it seems, but also ugly and brutal. And there's nothing as ugly as watching bad losers. Cargin are definitely number one at something in Antrim afterall. They threw away the game today and then their self-respect. Savages.

Will the Antrim CCC have the balls to deal with this properly? Not if they are as weak as the referees and linesmen they appointed that I witnessed in (in)action over this weekend.

Glensman

Quote from: OverThePostsAWide on August 20, 2011, 02:54:15 PM
Quote from: Glensman on August 20, 2011, 01:16:57 PM
Saw that as well re the Johnnies man not kicking the ball into play and was never sure on that rule?! With the new rule of kicking the ball behind the line surely there is some merit to it never having gone into play?!

The sideline kick has been taken - it doesn't matter where it goes. Sideline balls should always have been taken behind (or on) the line. Nothing has changed other than to clarify in the rules that there is no discretion to "take a few yards" (there never should have been) and there is now a specified penalty if you do. The ball was no more "in play" when a player used to (illegally) steal a few yards on a sideline ball than it is now when the ball has to be behind the line until kicked.

Don't know (nor care) what the history of the soccer "throw-in-never-in" rule is, but it never seemed right to me.

And what do you mean about the ten yards?? As in a player should be away from a free or that the ball should be brought forward?!

Jesus wept. BOTH! There is no "10 yard" specification in Gaelic. It is all 14 yards (13m). From the kick, from the hop ball, must travel, moved forward, etc. etc. But such is the ignorance of the general (but particularly urban) Gaelic watching and playing public, it is continually confused with the "10 yard" soccer specification. Which is as sad as it is embarassing.

Now, I am going to go out on a limb here and will probably be subject to a wiki-leaks type persecution, if not extradition, as a result, but some brave souls have published the (secret) playing rules here:
http://www.gaa.ie/content/documents/publications/official_guides/Official_Guide_2011_Part_2.pdf

It should be compulsory reading - particularly for all referees, TV commentators, and pundits!

Sidelines
What happens then if the ball does not go into play?
Possession goes to the other team?

"10 yards"
Just a bit of pedantry from you there then... The yard rule applies but its 14 insead of 10.
I'm with the Johnnies subs on this one...a fair few of them were man mountains so probably best to take their side on this.

rogueryhill

So that's why Cargin have a boxing club in their club grounds?  ;D

The Erin's Own motto is "We'll win or we'll beat youse".

Maybe it wasn't all St Paul's fault all those years ago  :o

But the big question is, will the big names get the beating they deserve from the committee men or will the subs and old boys be the fall guys?

I saw with my own two eyes, one county man floor the Lamh Derg fullback as he offered his hand after the match. And then he skulked around in front of the stand while all hell broke loose behind him.

Smile, you're on candid camera  ***k ;D

SambaSaffron

Christ there are some dicks in this thread. Absolutely clueless.

NAG1

aontroim

Quote from: OverThePostsAWide on August 22, 2011, 01:22:31 AM
Was Ryan Murray (minor) not playing corner forward for Lamh Dhearg and scored the opening goal?

Cargin were 7pts up with about 10 to go. They were comfortably 7pts the better team but got caught by 2 opportunistic (if a bit freakish) goals and then collapsed.

Lamhs first goal started with what looked like an intended pass from Cunningham from about 40m out. The Cargin fullback flapped at it and Brendan Herron caught it behind and bore down on goal. The Cargin keeper made a great save from his initial shot and then Herron fly-kicked the rebound and it was bundled over the line quite possibly off one of the fullbacks. The Cargin fullback had a good game but was badly caught out twice by Herron for goals (this and Ryan Murray's opener).

The second goal was as freakish as it was brilliant. The Cargin keeper gathered the ball off his line and tried a long delivery from about the 20m line. It went straight to Conor Murray behind the midfield. He burst forward while the keeper dithered. Murray had only one thing on his mind and let rip with a screamer from about 40m. It hit the net just under the crossbar as the keeper flapped at it. An absolutely brilliant goal. Murray was probably the most remarkable player on show - great Fielding and running - but that was possibly his only accurate kick all day! It was a shame for the keeper too, because he had been doing well, I thought.

That brought it level and Lynch scored a great point under pressure for Lamhs to go 1 up on the stroke of time. Cargin equalised with a soft free then in injury time. Game over we thought in the stand, but there was still time for Cunningham to take the lead again with a great outside-of-the-boot free from 45m (he had missed a few earlier in the game) and for Tomas McCann to miss off the upright at the other end after another soft "let's have a draw" free this time about 25m out a bit to the right of the posts. Lamhs then finally made the referee's mind up with 2 strong points to finish as Cargin collapsed.

Cargin were an absolute disgrace after the whistle. There was a running battle for 5 minutes or more. Subs and others jumped the fence. Not only is Antrim football shite it seems, but also ugly and brutal. And there's nothing as ugly as watching bad losers. Cargin are definitely number one at something in Antrim afterall. They threw away the game today and then their self-respect. Savages.

Will the Antrim CCC have the balls to deal with this properly? Not if they are as weak as the referees and linesmen they appointed that I witnessed in (in)action over this weekend.

Why would the CCC be appointing Referees / Linesmen?  Take a breath man.

ManInBlackandGreen

Quote from: aontroim on August 22, 2011, 11:20:34 AM

Well said aontroim, obviously not experienced in the admin of the county, and to qualify his comments, the Referee has the final say as to the actions he takes no matter what is reported to him, i.e. The incidents may be reported as Red Cards, he may not decide to take the direction that has been given from the support team of officials, and it is my understanding that this occurred a number of times at the game in question. He has the right to act or ignore as he see's fit, which can be an awkward situation to say the least all things considered. In short does he have the balls or not!

OverThePostsAWide

Quote from: aontroim on August 22, 2011, 11:20:34 AM

<breath> Fair enough - sloppy writing from me. Yeah, I know CCC don't appoint referees.

In the few matches I've seen in Antrim over the years, the refereeing seems weak. Now I know it's no easy job when you are on your own in the backend of nowhere in a hostile environment, but in Casement with 6 other on-pitch officials and numerous board officials in the stands (not to mention video cameras)?  ???

Maybe the linesmen were miked up? but they didn't seem to want to get involved?

I was just raising the question if Antrim are weak from the top down when it comes to matters of discipline? What was the outcome of the much publicised head-butt on the referee in the Sarsfields match a while ago for instance?

(as an aside, of the 3 championship matches I watched at Casement over the weekend, the referee in the St Gall's v Moneyglass match seemed the most competent/authoritive - would that be a fair first assessment?)

ManInBlackandGreen

OTPAW I still think your missing the point, and would suggest you read the rule book on duties of a linesman and umpire! Then a fair assessment would be to then question the Referees appointment committee, and the lack of direction, education, support and finance from the county to the group of lads who actually do step up to the mark and those who don't! We have probably maybe 10-12 good referees in the county across both codes, the rest need direction to say the least. So i summing up I agree it should be a top down approach, if you want to improve something it needs time, commitment, support and finance, something our county secretary would know little about, unless there's a deal to be done of course :'(