"Secret All-Ireland league talks at 'advanced' stage"

Started by dec, December 11, 2007, 02:57:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dec

Indo story - "http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/secret-allireland-league-talks-at-advanced-stage-1243934.html"

"Advanced discussions about the introduction of an All Ireland soccer league have taken place between clubs from both sides of the border and interested stakeholders, with the intention of drafting a New Year proposal that will be too good for the FAI and IFA to refuse. The Irish Independent has learned that top eircom League sides have been involved in secret talks with counterparts in the North and with the backing of significant third party encouragement in the hope of bringing the project to fruition. They have been given reason to believe that governments in the North and South would be receptive to the project and are confident that UEFA -- who have been informally sounded out -- and FIFA will give the necessary backing to the venture.

Now, they are looking to put an attractive final package together by January with the necessary levels of support and a business plan to convince the two football associations to give the green light to press forward. Their involvement is pivotal so that any league including the island's top clubs would be capable of gaining the places to compete in European competition.

"If the FAI and the IFA want to buy into it then everyone is happy," says one club source.
"It would be difficult to proceed without their support.
"There's a bigger picture here. Certainly, there are very professional people involved in this project and there is a lot of excitement about what can be achieved.
"This could be very big for football in this country and is capable of bringing it to the next level."

The origins of the initiative came from meetings between the six leading eircom League full time clubs -- Cork City, Drogheda United, Derry City, St Patrick's Athletic, Bohemians and Galway United -- to discuss grievances regarding their participation agreement with the FAI and the wage cap thats coming into place next season. However, those discussions have snowballed with other parties being sought out for advice and to ascertain their interest as the desire for a full time professional All-Ireland league emerged as the ultimate objective. Tentative discussions have taken place with a television company who are willing to offer their backing to the venture.

Other league members, who were not part of the original group of six, have now asked to be kept aware of developments as the project grows wings and some have been invited to subsequent gatherings. Regardless of the success of the plan, the 22 eircom League clubs are preparing to lobby the FAI for the re-drafting of the participation agreement amid widespread unhappiness at its implementation. "

his holiness nb

Heard this on the radio, what would the fans of Irish clubs, North and South think of this going ahead, good or bad?
Ask me holy bollix

J70

From a Finn Harps point of view, I think it would be great. More derby matches with the likes of Omagh Town would be good for attendances.

Feckitt

If this happened, which clubs from North and South would make the cut for an AI Premiership.  Also would it be a 50/50 split or would the south get more teams in.

Puckoon

Quote from: J70 on December 11, 2007, 03:35:32 PM
From a Finn Harps point of view, I think it would be great. More derby matches with the likes of Omagh Town would be good for attendances.

The same omagh town thats now lost and gone forever? :'( RIP OTFC.

The Real Laoislad

I think it would be great,but as a Kilkenny City fan im sure it would mean we would be in the lowest division
You'll Never Walk Alone.

nifan

For club teams it would be good, though there would be obvious security implications around some of the fixtures.

Assuming the NI team is safe I dont care.

his holiness nb

I'd imagine it would make sense to have more teams in each division, a bit more like in England. To fit all teams in if nothing else.
I have no idea which league is stronger, who would fill the top division if say there were 16 teams in it?
Ask me holy bollix

his holiness nb

Quote from: nifan on December 11, 2007, 04:41:37 PM
For club teams it would be good, though there would be obvious security implications around some of the fixtures.

Assuming the NI team is safe I dont care.

Didnt follow it at all, but were there any problems with the setanta cup games where teams from north and south played each other?
Ask me holy bollix

nifan

The teams/fans where fine.

The problem was the buses taking the fans to/from the games getting stoned.

J70

Quote from: Puckoon on December 11, 2007, 04:09:55 PM
Quote from: J70 on December 11, 2007, 03:35:32 PM

The same omagh town thats now lost and gone forever? :'( RIP OTFC.

I (obviously!) had not heard that. That's a shame.

Puckoon

I think there was a spotlight programme that delved into how they handled the funds raised in the charity games after the bombing. Pretty quick after that they had to fold. Was a shame, I lived within walkin distance to st julians (and healy park).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Omagh_Town_F.C.

brokencrossbar1

I was shot down by some OWC fans when I suggested that this would happen whenever the Setanta Cup was started.  It is the inevitable movement and should be good for the game in general on the island. If it happens though there will be some serious issues to look at in regards to the infrastructure outside of the games themselves.

Following on from what Heganboy started on the tax implications for GAA players under the grants scheme how can the finances of clubs in two different countries be audited under different revenue procedures.  This is a serious minefield as it stands unless there is some form of unification of the tax system.  These are businesses and therefore should be held up to the same standard.  If, for talk sake, a player can get more money after tax from a club on one side of the then surely they are getting an unfair advantage over clubs on the other side. This is a simple example I know but is a potential stumbling block, unless of course there is something going on between the two Revenue depts which will facilitate this joining of the two leagues.  If there is such an arrangement then this would also presumably be available to GAA players and therefore this might answer the question that Heganboy raised.

Therefore, this could be used as the first steps towrads having a single tax system both north and south, or at least some form of equivalency.

NIFan, I am sorry but I think this woyuld be the first baby step towards a unified team, and no matter how you try to avoid it, if you throw enough incentives before people, ie money they will eventually bite.

his holiness nb

Quote from: nifan on December 11, 2007, 04:47:26 PM
The teams/fans where fine.

The problem was the buses taking the fans to/from the games getting stoned.

Ah, could you tell me where this happened and what teams fans were involved?
Ask me holy bollix

dec

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on December 11, 2007, 04:55:04 PM
Following on from what Heganboy started on the tax implications for GAA players under the grants scheme how can the finances of clubs in two different countries be audited under different revenue procedures.  This is a serious minefield as it stands unless there is some form of unification of the tax system.  These are businesses and therefore should be held up to the same standard.  If, for talk sake, a player can get more money after tax from a club on one side of the then surely they are getting an unfair advantage over clubs on the other side. This is a simple example I know but is a potential stumbling block, unless of course there is something going on between the two Revenue depts which will facilitate this joining of the two leagues.

In North America the NHL, NBA and baseball all have teams in both Canada and the US. Hockey has the longest history of having teams operating under two different tax regimes.