Slieve Donard / The Mournes

Started by Agent Orange, March 29, 2012, 06:49:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Agent Orange

Would anyone have any idea how far it is from the ar park in Newcastle to the summit of Donard. I know its roughly an hour to the Mourne wall and then 20 minutes or so to the summit, but have no idea on the actual distance.

Also if anyone knows any loop walks in the Mournes I'd be glad of any advice, ended up walking back along the main road to Newcastle, which isn't ideal.

tyronefan

Go up to the wall and instead of going left up Donard go right along the wall up Commedagh and follow the wall all the way over to Hares Gap. Then come back along the Brandy path  to the foot of Donard and back down the path to the carpark. It is a fairly long walk

Santino

Some great walks in the Mournes
Check out www.walkni.com
Slieve Croob is a cracking one on a clear day for views of the Mournes and coastline

Orior

Spot the wee cnuts that light fires, then kick the living daylights out of them
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Agent Orange

Thanks, walkni looks useful.

Tyronefan any idea how long that walk is?

Orior

Quote from: Santino on March 29, 2012, 09:11:38 PM
Some great walks in the Mournes
Check out www.walkni.com
Slieve Croob is a cracking one on a clear day for views of the Mournes and coastline

I bet people all over the world surf onto that web site and expect to read about Agent Orange (and his brethern) trailing their coats on Ulster's highways.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

DownFanatic

One of the wonderful sights that will bestow you in the majestic Mournes, especially in the Summer time, is the sight of some sprightly smicks setting fire to the vegetation. Do not approach these creatures as they are reported to defend their immediate territory with Blue WKD bottles.

tyronefan

its been a while since I have been on that walk but as far as I remember it took around 4 or 5 hours walk to Hares Gap and back. If that is too far you can drop down off the mountain on to the Brandy path at any stage and return to the foot of Donard. 

Hardy

You can see Meath from the Mournes. Enjoy.

Minder

Quote from: Hardy on March 30, 2012, 04:46:15 PM
You can see Meath from the Mournes. Enjoy.

That is about as close as you would want to get  :)
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

charlieTully

there is a walk on every september HACK challenge, 20 miles over the mournes, its for NSPCC. tough going but stunning views and a great way to see some of the mournes.

http://www.nspcc.org.uk/get-involved/join-an-event/get-active/walk/HACK/mourne-hack_wde80997.html

Arthur_Friend

fingerbob

Quote from: Orior on March 29, 2012, 10:14:16 PM
Spot the wee cnuts that light fires, then kick the living daylights out of them

They're fairly lit up atm. Can clearly see a large area on fire from Downpatrick.

Minus15

Quote from: DownFanatic on March 29, 2012, 11:34:50 PM
One of the wonderful sights that will bestow you in the majestic Mournes, especially in the Summer time, is the sight of some sprightly smicks setting fire to the vegetation. Do not approach these creatures as they are reported to defend their immediate territory with Blue WKD bottles.

Is that the Smicks that gave you a lift home with your very own WKD last night DF?

DownFanatic

Quote from: Minus15 on March 31, 2012, 08:58:21 PM
Quote from: DownFanatic on March 29, 2012, 11:34:50 PM

Is that the Smicks that gave you a lift home with your very own WKD last night DF?

Can't beat the Blue... Lionel night.