12 (36.4%)
Margaret Richie
10 (30.3%)
The Knitted Character off Harry Hill Show
11 (33.3%)

Total Members Voted: 33

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Quote from: Pangurban on February 07, 2010, 07:12:01 PM
A largely irrelevant result in terms of real politic, though it is sad to see a once great party being reduced to being led by a political lightweight egomaniac. Oblivion beckons for a party, whose only lasting heritage will be John Hume

Delighted.
Tbc....

Zapatista

They'll lose the seat in Derry now and that'll be the end of them. This is a non story. Show's how irrelevant the sdlp have come. They're wide open for a takeover from LB or FF. Wouldn't be surprised if FG had a go either.

wicked

If there is a unity unionist candidate in South Belfast, they'll lose that seat, too.

barelegs

I've a friend from Derry who's involved with Fianna Fail. He was thinking about going up to the SDLP conference at the weekend, (the main parties from the south regularly attend SDLP events). However he was over in the house yesterday evening and when I asked him if he'd been at it he said 'I don't really like going to wakes'.  :D

I just can't warm to Margaret Ritchie at all. There are some SDLP representatives I've a a lot of time for but Ritchie just comes across as a patronising school teacher. While I'm not going to write them off as a political party just yet, I'm not sure Ritchie has the popularity or the charisma to give the SDLP the leadership it so badly needs.

tyrone86

Quote from: Zapatista on February 07, 2010, 08:25:00 PM
They'll lose the seat in Derry now and that'll be the end of them. This is a non story. Show's how irrelevant the sdlp have come. They're wide open for a takeover from LB or FF. Wouldn't be surprised if FG had a go either.

Not a mission in the Westminster election this time round. The Shinners will have to win it,  rather than have the SDLP hand it to them on a plate. If  SF were in any way serious about winning Foyle, they'd be running McGuinness as their biggest hitter. Someone like Michelle O'Neill would still hold Mid Ulster comfortably.

ardmhachaabu

Quote from: barelegs on February 07, 2010, 08:51:34 PM
I've a friend from Derry who's involved with Fianna Fail. He was thinking about going up to the SDLP conference at the weekend, (the main parties from the south regularly attend SDLP events). However he was over in the house yesterday evening and when I asked him if he'd been at it he said 'I don't really like going to wakes'.  :D

I just can't warm to Margaret Ritchie at all. There are some SDLP representatives I've a a lot of time for but Ritchie just comes across as a patronising school teacher. While I'm not going to write them off as a political party just yet, I'm not sure Ritchie has the popularity or the charisma to give the SDLP the leadership it so badly needs.
I quite agree, the obituary of the SDLP has been written a few times yet they are still there and still continuing to attract support.  Ritchie as their front-person is a mistake
Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something

ziggysego

I agree, just can't warm to her either, whatever it is about her. And that voice, eeks.

Still, in fairness to her, she seems to be doing very good at her ministery post at Stormont. Wish I could say the same about a few others.
Testing Accessibility

Hurler on the Bitch

Quote from: ziggysego on February 07, 2010, 09:42:14 PM

I agree, just can't warm to her either, whatever it is about her. And that voice, eeks.

Still, in fairness to her, she seems to be doing very good at her ministery post at Stormont. Wish I could say the same about a few others.

Bit of a Lady McBeth to her, given her I wanna be First Minister speech! I was reading up on her and 'lo and behold' schoolteacher by trade. They really are the condescending sons and daughters of the Pig-Owning Class in Catholic Ireland (i.e. those Catholics who owned a pig were better off than the peasants as they had the potential to make money from piglets - and heat in the house with the pork radiator in the kitchen). I'm sure there weren't too many joiners, sparks, mechanics there today. The whole chat afterwards would have been about how horrid those people in those Housing Estates are!

Nally Stand

I sincerely hope this spells the end of the Stoops. The sad thing for them is that Richie was genuinely their best option. As for Dr McDonnell, in my view he showed his true colours when inviting Michael McDowell to canvass with him last time round. The stoops solely exist to criticise SF
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

glens abu

Quote from: longrunsthefox on February 07, 2010, 04:54:35 PM
Quote from: ziggysego on February 07, 2010, 04:33:00 PM
McDonnell... comeuppance? Eh fox?

I was watching Richie on the Politics Show earlier. She's fond of the word 'reflection' isn't she!

McDonnell was worse than the unionists about the Galbally commemoration in a GAA ground. Another night he gave Jartath Burns awful abuse on microphone at a GAA night saying Armagh didn't win an All Ireland till after he quit etc. A hateful bollox...

thnk "Go to your caravans" showed him for what he is :-[

longrunsthefox

Great pic of McDonnell on front page of Irish News. He didn't see this one coming. On Hearts and Minds last week he seemed very sure of himself. He'll be licking the wounds of this ego deflater for a few days

johnneycool

Quote from: longrunsthefox on February 08, 2010, 12:22:41 PM
Great pic of McDonnell on front page of Irish News. He didn't see this one coming. On Hearts and Minds last week he seemed very sure of himself. He'll be licking the wounds of this ego deflater for a few days

I've been in his company a few times and certainly arrogance does exude from the man.

He'll not like this but he'll struggle to hold onto his south Belfast seat if the unionists field one candidate whereas Ritchie may be about to try and take over Eddie McGrady's south Down seat.

Minder

Let's just say Big Al exhibits a few family traits.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Doogie Browser

I cannot believe they elected Ritchie, she has to be one of the most un-inspiring politicians out there and we have a plethora of them.  They are a dying party.

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Well I hope that the SDLP can rise again and become a leading party in the 6 counties. It is a disgrace that the party of peace was sidelined to allow the gunmen gain control.
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.