Get Rid of provincial club championships

Started by irish345, May 28, 2019, 05:13:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Itchy on May 30, 2019, 08:43:30 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on May 30, 2019, 07:55:02 PM
Quote from: Itchy on May 30, 2019, 07:25:53 PM
The only issue with the club championship is the time of year they are played. Shit wet and windy venues with heavy pitches, it suits a type of team.

The type of team that wins its county final during the better weather?

Thats what I mean. I've seen a good fast team more suited to hard ground come out and struggle against a team from another county that's full of big mullockers. Big Mullocker could be good enough to win their own county but shouldnt be able to beat the other team normally but the weather is a great leveler. I think it would be great to see the county champions play on fast hard ground but I know thats just not possible at the moment with fixture congestion.

Teams have to adapt to the conditions and playing styles. The playing calendar is busy enough, if a club has aspirations of all Ireland glory then they prepare for all eventualities.

The competition has been going since the 70's and barring the odd shock the best team wins, whether it's hard ground or soft
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Farrandeelin

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on May 28, 2019, 07:26:56 PM
Provincial club football is where some of the best games of the year are played, particularly in Ulster and Connacht. Also it's is a fantastic opportunity for an unfashionable club to win something greater than just their county championship. Not every club will win and All Ireland but any county champions will feel they could win their province. Do you not think that the likes of Mullinalaghta or Gaoth Dobhair deserved to enjoy their day in the sun winning their provincial finals last year? 

It is not broken and is a great competition. Keep it as it is.

100% agree. I really love club football.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Itchy

Quote from: hardstation on May 30, 2019, 09:17:08 PM
The only issue with the club championship is the time of year they are played. Shit wet and windy venues with heavy pitches, it suits a type of team.

Thats what I mean. I've seen a good fast team more suited to hard ground come out and struggle against a team from another county that's full of big mullockers. Big Mullocker could be good enough to win their own county but shouldnt be able to beat the other team normally but the weather is a great leveler. I think it would be great to see the county champions play on fast hard ground but I know thats just not possible at the moment with fixture congestion.
Hard ground suits certain teams too.
Play one year hard ground and the next year soft ground?

We could play them all in Casement in the rushes and thistles too.

theticklemister

I don't post as much as I used too, but I have to have my tuppence worth here.....

What a fecking shite idea.

Right lads see ye later

LaurelEye

Leader Cup winners: 1945, 1947, 1948, 1949, 1950, 1951, 2013, 2016, 2017, 2019, 2021, 2023.

seafoid

"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Itchy on May 30, 2019, 11:24:18 PM
Quote from: hardstation on May 30, 2019, 09:17:08 PM

Hard ground suits certain teams too.
Play one year hard ground and the next year soft ground?

We could play them all in Casement in the rushes and thistles too.

Been cut lately, just need the gate unlocked
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea