Wakes and Funerals during the pandemic

Started by BennyCake, March 22, 2020, 12:32:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BennyCake

Apologies if it's been covered in the main thread, but I've been avoiding that for my own sanity.

What's the procedure regarding wakes and funerals during the pandemic?

We have a family member who isn't too well (not virus related), and with other vulnerable people in the extended family, we want to be prepared for what might happen.

As hard as it would be for a vulnerable family member not to be able to attend a relatives wake/funeral, we have to be sensible too. And some people might go anyway even if it jeopardises their health or life.

Any help or advice welcome.

armaghniac

Wakes with crowds and funeral services need to be a minimum.
This funeral in Kerry people lined the road to show respect, but several metres apart.
see https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2020/0320/1124388-funeral-kerry/
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

PMG1

We lost a club stalwart, former manager and lifelong member this week, was very hard to know what to do. Ended up doing a guard of honour. 5m apart on the road leading to the chapel, was very poignant but you have got to feel for the family who were denied a proper funeral and his friends who never got to see the ceremony or burial or never got a chan e to say a final goodbye or pass their condolences to the family. Crazy times but we have to do what is best for everyone in these crazy times

tonto1888

We buried my granny on Friday. It was strange. People wanted to hug you or give you a handshake but couldn't. We kept the funeral mass to family and close friends only so it was small. There was no sign of the peace but they did do communion

GJL

I'd imagine when this shit is over there will be a large number of "memorial services" for people who are already buried.  :-\

BennyCake

Quote from: tonto1888 on March 22, 2020, 02:05:45 PM
We buried my granny on Friday. It was strange. People wanted to hug you or give you a handshake but couldn't. We kept the funeral mass to family and close friends only so it was small. There was no sign of the peace but they did do communion

Was communion not a risk?

Pallbearers? Opening chapel doors etc?

What about small chapels where even small crowds pose a problem with distancing?

tonto1888

Quote from: BennyCake on March 22, 2020, 02:13:07 PM
Quote from: tonto1888 on March 22, 2020, 02:05:45 PM

Was communion not a risk?

Pallbearers? Opening chapel doors etc?

What about small chapels where even small crowds pose a problem with distancing?

I didn't go for communion. I wouldn't have anyway. My mum sister and brother didn't go and they would normally have. We had the same 4 pall bearers tho we didn't do much of a walk. I had wipes with me. Didn't notice who opened the doors. St Peters in Lurgan is a big chapel spy social distancing was easy done. Would be harder in a smaller chapel

thejuice

As I live abroad, I'll have to get used to the fact that if someone close to me passes I won't be there for any funeral. My mother in law (a mother to my wife and granny to my kids) is in Spain right now. She's fended off cancer twice in the last decade and is in her 80's now. God forbid anything happens to her there. Horrible reality to live with.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016