Colm O'Rourke vs. the GPA

Started by Jinxy, October 26, 2014, 07:30:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jinxy

Quote from: Zulu on October 28, 2014, 11:34:48 AM
Not surprised to see the GPA bashing here but it's been clear for a long time that they can do no right for some folks. But it's quite astonishing that they are getting criticised for club fixtures. For starters they do not represent club players so it isn't within their remit but more importantly club fixtures are the remit of the GAA and county boards and could be addressed by these bodies if they so wished so the blame for club fixtures should be laid at the door of the GAA, county boards, clubs themselves and GAA members/fans like your goodselves.

The GPA do what they do and are apparently doing a good job if the comments of their members is reflective. It's easy to criticise like Colm did without knowing the facts, the Mayo/Kerry semi final in Limerick being an example of an ill-informed criticism.

Sure why do we need the GPA at all then?
Let the GAA and the county boards look after the intercounty players.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Sidney

Quote from: Jinxy on October 27, 2014, 04:36:02 PM
bubbles o dwyer @johnodwyer14
Follow

Colm o Rourke doesn't no what he's talking about the @gaelicplayers do immense work for past and present players #spoofer

I get the feeling reading some of the player responses (as above) that a lot of them didn't even read the article.
Fairly difficult to ascertain whether somebody has read an article or not based on a Twitter message.

Bingo

Not surprised to see the GPA bashing here but it's been clear for a long time that they can do no right for some folks. But it's quite astonishing that they are getting criticised for club fixtures. For starters they do not represent club players so it isn't within their remit but more importantly club fixtures are the remit of the GAA and county boards and could be addressed by these bodies if they so wished so the blame for club fixtures should be laid at the door of the GAA, county boards, clubs themselves and GAA members/fans like your goodselves.

The GPA do what they do and are apparently doing a good job if the comments of their members is reflective. It's easy to criticise like Colm did without knowing the facts, the Mayo/Kerry semi final in Limerick being an example of an ill-informed criticism.

Is that not kinda missing the point?

Rossfan

Quote from: Jinxy on October 28, 2014, 11:57:18 AM
That's exactly why the GPA were started  ;)
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Zulu

Quote from: Jinxy on October 28, 2014, 11:57:18 AM

To do what they are doing?? The GPA don't represent club players, now you can criticise them for that but it's nonsense to critics them for not sorting the problems that other bodies are meant to sort.

Sure why do we need the GPA at all then?

Zulu

Quote from: Bingo on October 28, 2014, 12:05:40 PM

Why, are you suggesting the players are lying or that the GPA should be working on behalf of non-members?

Jinxy

Quote from: Sidney on October 28, 2014, 12:04:30 PM
Follow

Colm o Rourke doesn't no what he's talking about the @gaelicplayers do immense work for past and present players #spoofer

I get the feeling reading some of the player responses (as above) that a lot of them didn't even read the article.
Fairly difficult to ascertain whether somebody has read an article or not based on a Twitter message.

Not really.
O'Rourke clearly acknowledged the good work the GPA do for past and present intercounty players.
Anyone with half a brain who read the article would know this.

NAG1

Quote from: Jinxy on October 28, 2014, 12:37:49 PM
Quote from: Sidney on October 28, 2014, 12:04:30 PM
Follow

Not really.
O'Rourke clearly acknowledged the good work the GPA do for past and present intercounty players.
Anyone with half a brain who read the article would know this.

+1

As far as I can see CO'R is bang on with what he wrote, the GPA agitated got what they needed, then few of their leaders saw an opportunity to get well paid positions for 'representing' the players. Now have no real power without the GAA but do they care?

Bingo

Quote from: Zulu on October 28, 2014, 12:29:33 PM
Quote from: Bingo on October 28, 2014, 12:05:40 PM

Why, are you suggesting the players are lying or that the GPA should be working on behalf of non-members?

Well the members are on the inside and it is working well for them, particularly the vocal ones or those with a profile. But as GAA members, are we not entitled to ask questions of them?

They could very well be doing great work but that doesn't mean they shouldn't be accountable as GAA money is going into them.

I know one ex-county player who wouldn't be a fan after dealings with them and then you'd have Philip Jordan from Tyrone who would generally be very critical of them of them on Twitter.

lynchbhoy

Quote from: heffo on October 28, 2014, 11:49:53 AM

I wouldn't call it GPA bashing Zulu. I've no doubt they do a lot of good but a but more transparency wouldnt go amiss.
+1
right now it just appears to be a 'jobs for the (na fianna) boys' kind of clique.

bad enough that club players are left behind, but this elitism doesn't sit well with my traditional Irish mentality.

Jinxy

Anyone read Paddy Heaney's article today?
I believe he addresses this issue.

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: lynchbhoy on October 28, 2014, 02:11:48 PM
Quote from: heffo on October 28, 2014, 11:49:53 AM

I wouldn't call it GPA bashing Zulu. I've no doubt they do a lot of good but a but more transparency wouldnt go amiss.
+1
right now it just appears to be a 'jobs for the (na fianna) boys' kind of clique.

bad enough that club players are left behind, but this elitism doesn't sit well with my traditional Irish mentality.

Explain Jayo's scholarship so, sure isn't he a Plunkets man  :P
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

Bud Wiser

" Laois ? You can't drink pints of Guinness and talk sh*te in a pub, and play football the next day"

lynchbhoy

Thanks for the video Bud, but I feel that's an intro rather than an answer!

I'm sure the info is available somewhere - but I'd like to see the breakdown of the recipients of scholarships and awards etc.
What are the salaries and outgoings!

I'd actually like more transparency in the wider croke park hq operations etc

Eg I believe that hawk eye cost €500,000 to install and it's maintenance costs €250,000 annually - which IMO is a disgrace and a complete rip off.
Plus we will nearly double that if it is installed in thurles!
That's not good enough.
Again where is the transparency for croke park costs ( maybe I just don't know where to get all these figures and breakdowns ) so the GPA aren't to blame for this lack of transparency possibly!