Dublin v Ros Croke Park 5/8/18

Started by Rossfan, August 01, 2018, 11:39:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: dublin7 on August 06, 2018, 12:09:51 PM
Never thought I'd say this but Syferus is right about Dublin. To call the dubs defensive is a joke. They are solid defensively and that is different to playing a defensive game. The reason Cian O'Sullivan is often the spare man is because the opposition bring forwards back to defend so he is left free.

I'm fairness to Roscommom yesterday they kept playing yesterday and could have shipped a serious beating. Fitzsimoms will be happy to see the back of Murtagh. Kicked some great points yesterday
???
what would you call a serious beating?
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

PadraicHenryPearse

Quote from: Rossfan on August 06, 2018, 01:15:40 PM
I wonder how our benefactor feels about his protégés now?
He's probably the only one that can get Kevin out of his own arse and into the real world.

I laughed at an oul buck I know at the time when he said only Ros Co Board would dump 2 Kerrymen and replace them with 2 Mayomen.
I'm not laughing now -and no 2 bucks - I'm not hankering after the Evans era which along with "ye hate McStay" seems to be ye're stock response to the justified criticism of our management.

Or your stock response of the "rich benefactors" or your attempts not to be harking back to a time we had kerrymen and losing to Sligo. There are valid concerns about management but I'd rather discuss them with someone who doesn't think Kevin needs to get out of his own arse and has no agenda.

Rossfan

There you go again Pearse -attacking the poster and  implying I've an agenda. And you got the mistaken stock comment about hankering after Evans in too.
Why can't you discuss the points raised in my post at 12.08.41?
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

PadraicHenryPearse

You have an agenda. The masks slips every so often. It's clear to anyone who reads your post. Have you a wry smile like those in Boyle!!

I seen your posts harking back to losing by a couple of points to mayo and Tyrone in 13 and 14.so deny it all you like. By the way  We drew with Mayo last year and beat Galway. Something we have rarely done in 25 years.  Look at the players we have and maybe take that advise you are giving kevin and get your head  out of your arse into the real world. Other than Monaghan no other county with a population as low as ours is doing as well.

I've never claimed Mcstay is the right person. I don't care if eamon o hara is the manager. we are a limited outfit and regardless who is in the hot seat it will make little or no difference.

Rossfan

My agenda is I want to see our team properly managed, selected, trained, organised etc so that they can at least avoid double digit hammerings.

Those players you Diss are the ones who bet Galway and drew with Mayowestros.
If you have nothing better to do than trawling through my posts.....carry on.
You still didn't address the points I made at 12.08.
Do you think the presentime management,  3 years later will change tack and deliver on S&C, defensive organisation, settled 3,6 especially and get the players back to the enthusiastic bunch they were Summer 17.

Syferus

What was stopping every other manager since 90/91 achieving what McStay has given they too enjoyed plenty of 'soft draws' and didn't have all these 'glaring weaknesses' in selection policy, o Great Rossfan?

PadraicHenryPearse

No your agenda is to snipe and make snide comments  I am not dissing players I am saying they are not at the same level as Dublin Tyrone etc. I am also questioning there ability to put in as much effort going forward or coming back. That is not S&c or fitness. You assume that is managements fault I just don't know if that's true.

Cathal Cregg Niall Daly Conor Daly Domican all out at least a year from the panel.
Harney Compton continually injured. Could go the way of Higgins.
Fintan Cregg Mcmanus both Lennon's both stacks all got injuries this year along with both dalys.

Mul took a year off.  We as a county can not afford that to have that many key players not 100%.

Most counties in Leinster get double digit defeats to Dublin and some teams are getting close to that level and dishing out similar defeats.

SouthDublinBro

McStay has acheived nothing of note with that Roscommon team. Time for him to McLeave.

manfromdelmonte

Quote from: SouthDublinBro on August 06, 2018, 02:07:26 PM
McStay has acheived nothing of note with that Roscommon team. Time for him to McLeave.
League semi final
Connacht championship title
Division 2 winners
Last 8

It's not too  bad

Mayo4Sam14

Quote from: manfromdelmonte on August 06, 2018, 02:12:48 PM
League semi final
Division 2 winners
Last 8

It's not too  bad

Last 8 after beating Leitrim and Armagh. Every year Roscommon have the same glaring weaknesses but they never seem to be addressed
You can forget about Sean Cavanagh as far as he's a man!

PadraicHenryPearse

Quote from: Mayo4Sam14 on August 06, 2018, 02:35:16 PM
Quote from: manfromdelmonte on August 06, 2018, 02:12:48 PM
League semi final
Division 2 winners
Last 8

It's not too  bad

Last 8 after beating Leitrim and Armagh. Every year Roscommon have the same glaring weaknesses but they never seem to be addressed

Pot kettle.... mayo forwards

Rossfan

Quote from: PadraicHenryPearse on August 06, 2018, 02:06:40 PM
No your agenda is to snipe and make snide comments 
There you go again.
Disgraceful comment.

weareros

Quote from: Syferus on August 06, 2018, 02:05:05 PM
What was stopping every other manager since 90/91 achieving what McStay has given they too enjoyed plenty of 'soft draws' and didn't have all these 'glaring weaknesses' in selection policy, o Great Rossfan?

We produce a good team every ten or even 15 years, as to be expected from a county with a small population. I would say McStay has inherited players from our most successful underage run in modern times, more so than McDermott, Toibin, Carr and O'Donnell, and yet he has the 3 worst results in modern times in All-Ireland series. But here goes of those who qualified for All Ireland series, a ranking of sorts. Going from memory so apologies for any errors.

1991 - All-Ireland semi-final, 1 point defeat to All-Ireland runners up, Meath (Manager Marty McDermott)
1990 - All-Ireland semi-final, 7 point defeat to All-Ireland champions, Cork (Manager Marty McDermott)
2017 - All-Ireland qtr final (draw with Mayo but followed by our worst every results) (Manager Kevin McStay)
2003 - All-Ireland qtr final - 5 point defeat to Kerry (Manager Tommy Carr)
2001 - All-Ireland qtr final,  6 point defeat to All-Ireland champions, Galway (Manager John Toibin)
2018 - All-Ireland qtr final, 7 point defeat to Donegal (Manager Kevin McStay)
2010 - All-Ireland qtr final, 9 point defeat to All-Ireland champions, Cork (Manager Fergal O'Donnell)
2018 - All-Ireland qtr final, 14 point defeat to reigning All-Ireland champions Dublin (Manager Kevin McStay)
2018 - All-Ireland qtr final, 18 point defeat to Tyrone (Manager Kevin McStay)
2017 - All-Ireland qtr final, 22 point defeat to All-Ireland runners up Mayo (Manager McStay)* This one after a replay.

PadraicHenryPearse

he might have some of the worst but also the best. he has been there 2/3 attempts better than most of those others managers. in the other years we went out to some poorer teams. he is not messiah, he moves on so be it doesnt bother me but thinking that will bring about a change in fortunes is IMO fanciful. we will be back here again in 2/3 years or 1 potentially one like Des 

weareros

Quote from: PadraicHenryPearse on August 06, 2018, 04:52:38 PM
he might have some of the worst but also the best. he has been there 2/3 attempts better than most of those others managers. in the other years we went out to some poorer teams. he is not messiah, he moves on so be it doesnt bother me but thinking that will bring about a change in fortunes is IMO fanciful. we will be back here again in 2/3 years or 1 potentially one like Des

He had one isolated good result only if you take the Mayo qtr final in isolation but you can't because we lost the replay by 22 points once Mayo stepped it up, and owned midfield once Parsons was back. Keep in mind that Mayo team went to extra time with Cork the week before they played us. So the real data shows that McStay, who has inherited the most successful underage crop in our modern history, has actually the very worst All-Ireland series record - and his defeats are worse by a long shot. Lookit, he's not always up against brilliant managers when you see a name like Tommy Carr higher up the charts. Looking at the data (and data is not personal), it would behoove us a county to ask, are we getting the best out of our current crop of players? I am not of the opinion that we are and I do not have a confidence that the current management can turn this around. However, since they are getting another year without any close scrutiny, I hope and pray that they can because beatings like these start to become the norm and eat at players confidence.