The Super(ish) Leeds United Thread

Started by Rufus T Firefly, January 25, 2007, 08:14:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AZOffaly

Leeds will surely win League 1 this year? To reach the playoffs last year with a 15 point deficit AND Dennis Wise to contend with was a great achievement. With McAllister and a level playing field, Leeds should have too much for the other teams.

ExiledGael

Rufus T Firefly

Quote from: AZOffaly on August 12, 2008, 09:32:23 PM
Leeds will surely win League 1 this year? To reach the playoffs last year with a 15 point deficit AND Dennis Wise to contend with was a great achievement. With McAllister and a level playing field, Leeds should have too much for the other teams.

Hmmm - nothing like Leeds to deflate any optimism one might have. Well beaten at home last week by bogey side Oldham. Then took an early lead at Yeovil today through new signing Luciano Becchio before escaping with a draw! Still - closer to the top than this time last year!  :-\

SLIGONIAN

Swindon 1 Leeds 3.

Great result considering we were down to 10 men after 7 mins with sheehan sent off. Becks got 2 and kilkenny a 30 yd freekick.

Weve got some amount of goals lately and its great to see. Its looking promising and hope we go on a run.

Happy enough with the start to the season. Doing well in carling cup aswell with hartlepool at home in the 3rd round. It all adds to confidence. Some good young players at leeds now, this delph lad looks class act and in fairness mcallister has bought well in the summer with becchio snodgrass and robinson.
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

Rufus T Firefly

Agreed that they are beginning to hit a bit of form, but having seen the goals from the Swindon game tonight, (the defending was  :-X for all three), it brought a bit of realism to thoughts of promotion. The thirty yard free kick went straight into the keeper's arms and he somehow let it in. Still, all presents readily accepted!  :-\

Rufus T Firefly

Now that was a seriously decent win - repeat of the win at Brunton Park last May.

I'm beginning to feel optimistic! I'm worried!   :-\

Mourne Rover

Three wins on the bounce have taken us to second in the table. We are looking solid at the back, strong in midfield and scoring plenty of goals, so everything looks good at this stage. As long as we hold on to Beckford and Delph when the transfer window comes round, automatic promotion is a reasonable prospect.

stew

Quote from: Mourne Rover on September 20, 2008, 02:57:50 PM
Three wins on the bounce have taken us to second in the table. We are looking solid at the back, strong in midfield and scoring plenty of goals, so everything looks good at this stage. As long as we hold on to Beckford and Delph when the transfer window comes round, automatic promotion is a reasonable prospect.

Heres hoping.

Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

Rufus T Firefly

Time to drag this one back into the light of day. Since early November the form has been indifferent to say the least. Played very well in defeat at Derby in the League Cup but had the proverbial nightmare last week at Histon in the FA Cup. The exit from the Cup was of no great significance, but the manner of the defeat was, with the defence being shown up again. Those watching on a regular basis seem to point to the centre of the defence being a real weakness whilst midfield and the attack are showing up quite well.

Having watched the Histon nightmare, I thought it was commendable that Leeds tried to play decent football, on the ground. However I wonder if the need is for artisans rather than artists, i.e. get the sleeves rolled up and get stuck in. It was how Wilkinson got Leeds out of the old second division in 1990 - once in the First Division, he off loaded a number of players who got Leeds there. Either way, I'd like to think Macca has a few ideas up his sleeve when the transfer window opens to strengthen things at the back - otherwise promotion will quickly fade away for another season!   :(    The Tranmere defeat now leaves Leeds nine points off the top, and whilst there is still plenty of time, a poor run would leave Leeds totally out of it!

Billys Boots

It's been a bad oul run for the last month Rufus - lucky that St. Ita's are keeping me interested in soccer.  ;)
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

Rufus T Firefly

Quote from: Billys Boots on December 06, 2008, 06:16:15 PM
It's been a bad oul run for the last month Rufus - lucky that St. Ita's are keeping me interested in soccer.  ;)

I hope Boots Og is still knocking them in Billy!   :)

Billys Boots

From BBC website:

Grayson appointed Leeds manager   

Leeds United have appointed Simon Grayson as their new manager, the club have confirmed.

The 39-year-old leaves his post as Blackpool boss to take over the League One side, who sacked Gary McAllister on Sunday after five successive defeats.

Blackpool had initially refused Leeds permission to speak to the former Aston Villa defender on Monday.

A statement on the Blackpool website confirms the club are now looking into legal action against Grayson and Leeds.

"Blackpool FC can confirm that Simon Grayson tendered his resignation on Tuesday morning," the statement read.

"The resignation was not accepted by the board of directors and the club and are now considering legal action against both Grayson and Leeds."

The Yorkshireman, who started his career as a Leeds trainee, guided Blackpool to promotion to the Championship in 2007 after two years in charge. 

As a player he made two senior appearances for the Elland Road club, before joining Leicester City in 1992. A £1.3m move to Villa followed five years later.

Grayson was installed as favourite for the Leeds job on Monday ahead of former Leeds coach Aidy Boothroyd and ex-assistant manager Gus Poyet.

Leeds began looking for their ninth manager in the last 10 years after relieving McAllister of his duties a day after his side lost 3-1 to MK Dons.

That was Leeds's seventh defeat in nine matches, a sequence which has seen them slide to ninth in the table, 15 points adrift of leaders Leicester and 11 off the second automatic promotion slot.

longball

MASSIVE MASSIVE NIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Spotted any unladylike behaviour report within:
http://gaaboard.com/board/index.php?topic=13209.0

Norf Tyrone

My wee brother's a Leeds fan, and has always talked about heading over. He got 2 tickets for this game there at the weekend.

What a civilised first game to go to!
Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone

Billys Boots