Hard to compete with Donegal’s professionalism and money, bad for the game?

Started by The Aristocrat, May 08, 2015, 02:25:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Aristocrat

Since 2011 Donegal have been a top 5 team, winning one All Ireland and getting to two finals and winning 3 Ulster titles also in that period and one would say they are not finished yet with some fantastic players and good structures in place and some of the best fans around.

However, the money and professionalism in which some people would say is driving the game to a new era and what Donegal are doing is against the GAA ethos.

They have players quitting their jobs to become full time professional athletes, numerous training camps at home and abroad funded by millionaire sugar daddies in Britain and the U.S, I believe they are one again this weekend, helicopters to training and matches, the use of a professional soccer teams facilities and medical care.

Are Donegal similar to Chelsea when Abramovich came in, can any other team compete with that level of funding and professionalism except for maybe Dublin, but you would see Dublin players flying around the place in private helicopters never mind the rest of the teams, in particular Ulster teams.

Time for a level playing field, any thoughts?

J70

Why would Dublin players need helicopters when they never have to venture beyond the M50? ;D

nrico2006

Who are these sugar daddies?  Does Austin Daly contribute much to the team?
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

JoG2

Quote from: nrico2006 on May 08, 2015, 03:27:26 PM
Who are these sugar daddies?  Does Austin Daly contribute much to the team?

Indeed. It's widely known there is one big contributor to the Donegal setup based in London. Who are the others?

@ least they play good open football

Aristo 60

easytiger95

Quote from: J70 on May 08, 2015, 03:14:23 PM
Why would Dublin players need helicopters when they never have to venture beyond the M50? ;D

Have you seen the M50 at rush hour??? Helicopters sound eminently sensible. 

LeoMc

What with Donegal Sugar Daddies and Dont Matters claims about Dublins financial advantage it is no wonder Tyrone need to resort to #TheDarkArts to compete!

Bensars

Dublin have been known train at half six in the morning.
No need for helicopters, no traffic about!

Jinxy

We could do with a sugar daddy in Meath.
Since Noel Keating passed away the lads don't even get a nice bit of free steak anymore.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

The Stallion

I strongly suspect Donegal will not be a top four team come the end of the year. They have only one truly outstanding footballer in Karl Lacey, and I think teams will be better prepared to counteract their dull system this year.

McGuinness leaving ended any genuine All-Ireland hopes for this bunch of players.

JoG2

Quote from: The Stallion on May 09, 2015, 04:46:37 PM
I strongly suspect Donegal will not be a top four team come the end of the year. They have only one truly outstanding footballer in Karl Lacey, and I think teams will be better prepared to counteract their dull system this year.

McGuinness leaving ended any genuine All-Ireland hopes for this bunch of players.

Stallion...yer toot. Lacey, the McGees,  Murphy, McBrearty, McNelis  (no idea the irish spelling), Gallagher, Mcgrath. ...all top class players

In saying that, I don't think they'll be as competitive this year.

LCohen

Donegal have more quality and more depth this year than at any stage in the last 5 years.

Enough strength to get get to the last 4 without playing dung football.

They will however still play dung football

I hope they beat Tyrone. I say that as an Armagh man. Its not actually anything about Tyrone losing but everything to do with Donegal coming to the Athletic grounds. Might not be a great game for the cameras but will be a bearpit of an atmosphere

BluestackBoy

Every now and again someone sits at a keyboard & posts something that truly takes the breath away.

This is one such post.
For what shall it profit a man if he gains the whole world & loses his soul.

twohands!!!

Quote from: LCohen on May 09, 2015, 05:29:16 PM

Donegal have more quality and more depth this year than at any stage in the last 5 years.

Enough strength to get get to the last 4 without playing dung football.

They will however still play dung football

I hope they beat Tyrone. I say that as an Armagh man. Its not actually anything about Tyrone losing but everything to do with Donegal coming to the Athletic grounds. Might not be a great game for the cameras but will be a bearpit of an atmosphere

Only 19 players started for Donegal in the league while Dublin had 31 different starters (that's just in the regular 7 games)

Donegal's squad depth is wafer thin for a top-table team because you will inevitably get injuries.

They have brought in MacNiallias, McBrearty and a few more but they've also lost Rory Kavanagh, Leo McLoone.

There's also the fact that Gallagher, Toye, Durcan, Eamonn McGee, Colm McFadden and Karl Lacey are all over 30 while other stalwarts likes of Neil McGee, Anthony Thompson and Frank McGlynn are approaching the same 30 mark.

With that sort of age profile it's only a matter of time before we hear the pundits taking about Donegal being in transition.

yellowcard

Karl Lacey at 30 years of age giving up work to concentrate on playing an amateur sport is just plain ridiculous.