All Ireland Hurling Final Kilkenny v Tipp - 4 in a row for Kilkenny ?

Started by orangeman, August 30, 2009, 10:21:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: mouview on September 04, 2009, 12:21:07 PM
KK for all their greatness haven't been as good this year as others and *some* of their players can definitely be got at - eg. Michael Kavanagh, Hickey (if he plays), Brian Hogan while Gorta and Fogarty are ordinary enough. Tipp, unlike Waterford last year, have the tradition to make a real game of it and enough good players too. I'd be worried about their midfield though. Have to say it wold be great to see them beat the Greatest Team of all time since documented sport began on Earth!

Things must be bad mouview if we have a Galway man shouting for Tipp. ;D

GaillimhIarthair

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on September 04, 2009, 01:07:15 PM
KK for all their greatness haven't been as good this year as others and *some* of their players can definitely be got at - eg. Michael Kavanagh, Hickey (if he plays), Brian Hogan while Gorta and Fogarty are ordinary enough. Tipp, unlike Waterford last year, have the tradition to make a real game of it and enough good players too. I'd be worried about their midfield though. Have to say it wold be great to see them beat the Greatest Team of all time since documented sport began on Earth!

Things must be bad mouview if we have a Galway man shouting for Tipp. ;D
Not a hope in hell can I bring myself to shout for Tipp!  C'mon the Cats............... :D

mouview

Can never understand the apathy of Galway fans towards Tipp. Sure there was bad feeling back '89 or so, but our modern day record (post '75 if you like) against the Premier is way better than it is against most other counties; would sooner see us beating KK, Cork, maybe even Waterford and Wexford too in that order at this stage. Getting a little tired of all this 'greatest team ever' spiel, justified though it probably is and King Henry for all his greatness has a good nunber of off / quiet days too. (JC, if nothing else is actually much more consistent - discuss). I usually shout for the underdog anyway.

GaillimhIarthair

To be honest Mouview, I agree with most of what you say above but for some deep rooted, ingrained and probably meaningless reason i just cannot ever warm to any Tipp side since the later 80's.  I do however think this present KK side is every so slightly on the wane this year but I stilll think they will be a little to streetwise for Tipp on Sunday.  KK by 5ish points for me.  And yes, JC is a bit ahead of Henry IMO also but we really need to build a team around him and have him displaying his undoubted class on the 1st Sunday in Sept over the next few years. 

Best of luck to Mattie and the minors.     

johnneycool

In as much as Kavanagh and Delaney might lack a bit of pace nowadays it'll take a huge effort by the Tipp team to expose that weakness as their midfield and halfbacks dominate most teams they play. Hogan may look a bit awkward but he's a handy enough spud and it'll take a very good one to get the better of him over the 70 minutes. He holds the centre of the defence well and it's no wonder once he was fit, Cody had him back right away.

For Tipp to win they'll need to get the Kilkenny half backs facing their own goals a lot and whilst they have a better group of forwards than what Kilkenny have faced this year I think Tipp'll lose the midfield battle and subsequently their forwards will be starved of quality ball.

theskull1

Anybody else look for hurling coverage in the IN today?

A quarter of a page was all it got. Shocking coverage

2 Pages on Monaghan though for anyone whos interested
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

Gnevin

Quote from: theskull1 on September 04, 2009, 02:57:51 PM
Anybody else look for hurling coverage in the IN today?

A quarter of a page was all it got. Shocking coverage

2 Pages on Monaghan though for anyone whos interested

Doesn't the 3 pages here show the lack of interest in Hurling from outside the top 8?
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

Minder

"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

orangeman

Quote from: Minder on September 04, 2009, 09:57:12 PM
Kilkenny 10/11 (-3) is the bet of the weekend.

Reckon you're right. 4/9 outright is a good bet too IMO.

Minder

If I could make my mind up about the minor match that would bey double sorted.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

orangeman

ONeill

On 10-1 the draw.

Just hope to see Kilkenny put to the pin of their collar.

Fear they'll rip Tipp apart.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

orangeman

PJ Ryan
Michael Kavanagh, JJ Delaney, Jackie Tyrell
Tommy Walsh, Brian Hogan, John Tennyson,
Michael Rice, Derek Lyng,
Richie Hogan, Henry Shefflin, Eoin Larkin
Eddie Brennan, Richie Power, Aidan Fogarty

ONeill

It's their bench that looks a wee bit frightening, but not beyond the Lory Meagher champs.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

thejuice

Looking forward to it. kilkenny's backs will be the winning of it if they perform. And I think they will. Noel McGrath, Eoin Kelly and Lar Corbett, at least 2 of them will be made look ordinary I think and the one left wont be able to carry the can for the rest.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016