Camogie Sticks for the Childer

Started by Feckitt, November 10, 2008, 05:14:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Feckitt

Was going to get the girls age 6 & 4, camogie sticks from Santy.  Are there any camog's out there know what size to get.  I don't really want to bring them into the shop to try them out.  Don't want to let the cat out of the bag about ol Santa!  I'm not from a Hurling stronghold so don't really know much about hurls.

EddieMerx

Camogie sticks are the same as hurling sticks just they have to have any metal bands tapped over. A good measurement is from the ground to their waist and get a hurl based on that measurement, I'm not sure about sport shops and the age range they cater for but you could try your local camogie club as I'm sure they would have no problem getting you hurleys and plus you could sign the girls up to join the clubs underage teams.

theskull1

Quote from: EddieMerx on November 10, 2008, 05:52:03 PM
Camogie sticks are the same as hurling sticks just they have to have any metal bands tapped over. A good measurement is from the ground to their waist and get a hurl based on that measurement, I'm not sure about sport shops and the age range they cater for but you could try your local camogie club as I'm sure they would have no problem getting you hurleys and plus you could sign the girls up to join the clubs underage teams.

The waist is too high if you want to get a measurement. From the ground up to where the pocket meets the side seam of their trousers is the right one. Getting a stick too big (too long = too heavy to hold and use properly) or too heavy for youngsers will not encourage proper technique (i.e. the child needs to use their wrists rather than just swinging with their arms only). Don't get a stick to big with the view that they will grow into it. Get the right size and make sure it is light to make sure the start swinging the right way from the start. To small is better than too big IMO at any age
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

youngfella

agree with skull. Get a light small stick and a tennis ball to play with
Pull hard and early

Bud Wiser

QuoteThe waist is too high if you want to get a measurement. From the ground up to where the pocket meets the side seam of their trousers is the right one. Getting a stick too big (too long = too heavy to hold and use properly) or too heavy for youngsers will not encourage proper technique (i.e. the child needs to use their wrists rather than just swinging with their arms only). Don't get a stick to big with the view that they will grow into it. Get the right size and make sure it is light to make sure the start swinging the right way from the start. To small is better than too big IMO at any age

I don't remember  who wrote the book but when Offaly had a manager one year they trained with "heavy" hurls and then (around 1979-1981) they won the AI but if I am right they all played without the insulating tape or bands on the hurls on the day, I think yer man that wrote the series of books worked for a paper and in the book he explained that the technique of "swiftness of strike" (for want of better words) was how Offally won that AIF.  (think Cassius Clay running in lead boots!!)

Buy the lassies hurls, maybe let them figure it out themselves but they, if they get to become like say Angela Downey from the Cat's county or for that matter
, Cora Staunton with football, they will always remember the first hurl you bought rather than the shape or size !!!
" Laois ? You can't drink pints of Guinness and talk sh*te in a pub, and play football the next day"

youngfella

oo one more, get a hurl for yourself, a 35, and play with her
Pull hard and early

theskull1

The sentiment of Buds post is of course 100% correct. I do apoligise for responding to your request for advice  :P
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

highking

Rule of thumb which I tend to use:

12 years = 32' hurl
10 years = 30' hurl
8 years = 28' hurl
6 years = 26' hurl

If the child is big/small for their age, adjust the size of hurl appropriate.

Hurl should just come up to the start of the pocket in childs trousers.

youbetterbelieveit

whats with the word 'stick', it is either a 'Hurl' or 'Hurley', you would definitely know you where from a non-hurling area and probably up north too!

ps. high king is giving good advice/guidelines 

Last Man

Quote from: highking on November 11, 2008, 02:58:20 AM
Rule of thumb which I tend to use:

12 years = 32' hurl
10 years = 30' hurl
8 years = 28' hurl
6 years = 26' hurl

If the child is big/small for their age, adjust the size of hurl appropriate.

Just go with the last sentence, always erring on the too light side rather than too heavy.

Easy on the up North craic wee lad, its called a stick in "Ulster Scots" ;)

youngfella

That last sentence from high king is a great guide.

camogie hurley, sounds wild its a camogie stick, surely. Maybe thats why were not winning anything up here because we dont call a hurl a hurl.
Pull hard and early

Top of the hill

Quote from: highking on November 11, 2008, 02:58:20 AM

Alternatively, I heard George O Connor (former Wexford All ireland winner, for those who don't know) at a coaching conference a while back say get the child to stand with arms straight, down by their sides. The top of the hurl should just touch the wristbone (just in case any of your children wear their trousers ridiculously high a la Simon Cowell)  :P

And for underage, go for lighter rather than heavier. At that age it is more about getting technique right so lighter would be better

. . He sends one of yours to the hospital, you send one of his to the morgue
That's the Chicago way

Reillers

The lads said it all right, small, light stick and for the love of God tennis balls, unless you have a massive, massive garden..and even then good luck with it..the amount of times that window in my backyard has been broken is beyond a joke.

I come from a family of all hurlers, the gardens seen a few footballs as well in it's life time, but mainly hurleys and sliotars our wall at the side of my house out back is worn from sliotar marks, but it'll be the best thing you could ever spend your money on. A few bits and pieces of redecorating here and there will be worth it in the long run.

youngfella

good to see your a man of hurling, rather than all that horrible stuff on the other thread.

it'll be the best thing you could ever spend you're money on.

Totally agree, scary to think of the time that ive spend a wall banging away.
Pull hard and early