GAA presidential election 2020

Started by Eamonnca1, February 26, 2020, 02:12:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

imtommygunn

The podcast that he did on "GAA social" with niblock and mcconville was very impressive. He's a very clever articulate man with his heart in the right place so I hope he gets a go.

His talk about the Glen - Kilmacaud saga wrt what the GAA could do etc was very interesting.

seafoid

I think he is very impressive as well. He obviously understands the north, he is charismatic, he has ideas. And even though he is from Armagh he is calm.  8)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gme-ocTDvUo
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

J70

Hope he gets it this time. I was disappointed he didn't last time out. A very impressive man and I think he'd be a superb spokesman and advocate for the GAA.

Keyser soze

The thing I don't like about him is that he is absolutely desperate to become president, and has been actively positioning himself for almost 2 decades to get there.

And not based on any grand vision or great policy initiatives but just the actual attainment of the post in itself.

People say he's a great GAA man and does all sorts around the club etc but for me that's all part of his man of the people strategy and its all carefully choreographed and publicised. 

As I said on another thread the people who most want to become policemen and politicians are the last people who should be in any position of power over anyone.

Armagh18

Quote from: Keyser soze on February 17, 2023, 10:56:50 AM
The thing I don't like about him is that he is absolutely desperate to become president, and has been actively positioning himself for almost 2 decades to get there.

And not based on any grand vision or great policy initiatives but just the actual attainment of the post in itself.

People say he's a great GAA man and does all sorts around the club etc but for me that's all part of his man of the people strategy and its all carefully choreographed and publicised. 

As I said on another thread the people who most want to become policemen and politicians are the last people who should be in any position of power over anyone.
Whatever about the rest of your post, but I think this bit is totally unfair

general_lee

I wouldn't agree with Jarlath on quite a number of things but I still think he'd make an excellent president. I don't think he's desperate either, he wants the position because he is the definition of a proper, genuine Gael who loves his club, county and sport. He's also made a few unpopular opinions that wouldn't exactly endear him to many GAA members so I don't think your post makes that much sense.

Brick Tamlin

THIS RIGHT HERE...ON THE MONEY.
Undoubtedly a great clubman but this has been years in the planning and carefully choreographed, ticking every box as he goes along.
Could teach a few things to marketing gurus about maximum exposure and brand promotion.
If he doesnt get in this time it will be a greek tragedy.

Keyser soze

Quote from: general_lee on February 17, 2023, 11:59:04 AM

I wouldn't agree with Jarlath on quite a number of things but I still think he'd make an excellent president. I don't think he's desperate either, he wants the position because he is the definition of a proper, genuine Gael who loves his club, county and sport. He's also made a few unpopular opinions that wouldn't exactly endear him to many GAA members so I don't think your post makes that much sense.

That's fair enough, but it is blatantly obvious for about 15 years that he was positioning himself to get the presidency so tbh I take everything he does in that light. There are plenty of great volunteers who don't look for publicity for everything they do. 

And to be frank some of the unpopular stuff he comes out with has a real whiff of saying something controversial to be seen as relevant.

Still I suppose he could hardly be worse than the list of nonentities that have occupied the post since Sean McCague finished.

Tyrdub

If he gets it are we going to lose the Tricolour and Amhran nc BhFiann from our matches?

bannside

The president dosent get to decide that. The closest that might get is a motion to Congress that will be heavily defeated.

Rossfan

Tyrdub you know as well as I do that won't be in the President's  his power.
Anyway 'twould be no loss if scratchy public address versions or someone singing phonetically before games was ditched.

As an aside I see that Derry City soccer club had Amhrán na bhFiann sang (phonetically) at a Cup Final game at the weekend.
Uachtarán Michael D and Heaton Harris were there.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Tyrdub

The fact that he might even attempt/discuss it makes me sick

Rossfan

I wonder how he feels about your views?
How many club matches take place with no anthem?

Tyrdub

Quote from: Rossfan on February 17, 2023, 01:17:09 PM
I wonder how he feels about your views?
How many club matches take place with no anthem?

I couldnt give a shit how he feels about my views, they're my views which I am fully entitled to.

AnF and the Tricolour are part of our games, something I have witnessed at our games from my first time ever at a GAA match, taking them away is not something that should be even discussed.

Yet JB has

Rossfan

Of course they can and should be discussed. They have no effect on any match.
Most Club games don't have Anthems played before them.
When the new AI State comes about there will be a new flag and anthem.