Joe Brolly

Started by randomtask, July 31, 2011, 05:28:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Orchard park

Dublin senior clubs have panels of 30mplus. Most country clubs don't have that comfort levels

thewobbler

Quote from: Orchard park on March 05, 2018, 10:09:35 PM
Dublin senior clubs have panels of 30mplus. Most country clubs don't have that comfort levels
But one of the reasons why rural clubs don't have 30 players is because spending a couple of seasons training all summer long without games, only to be a sub and watching the county player when games do start again, is a proper kick in the teeth.

Dinny Breen

I normally get shot down when I suggest this but in my head I think clubs needed to be rewarded for helping to produce players of senior inter-county standard.

Therefore at the start of each season a county manager names his squad of 35 players and for each player a grant of 5K is given to his home club. This grant is ring fenced and can only drawn down against GDOs, Coaching Courses or infrastructure projects.

There is a caveat of course is that the club will not see that player until released back by the county when there inter-county season is over. The club season in that period will carry on without these players, a fixtures planner is put in place, with league finals set for early July. Two week break and then championship with inter-county players set to run through August and September.  Club AI to run through Oct and November.

Players injured etc to return to club for game time etc.
#newbridgeornowhere

thewobbler

Quote from: Dinny Breen on March 06, 2018, 08:31:46 AM
I normally get shot down when I suggest this but in my head I think clubs needed to be rewarded for helping to produce players of senior inter-county standard.

Therefore at the start of each season a county manager names his squad of 35 players and for each player a grant of 5K is given to his home club. This grant is ring fenced and can only drawn down against GDOs, Coaching Courses or infrastructure projects.

There is a caveat of course is that the club will not see that player until released back by the county when there inter-county season is over. The club season in that period will carry on without these players, a fixtures planner is put in place, with league finals set for early July. Two week break and then championship with inter-county players set to run through August and September.  Club AI to run through Oct and November.

Two major issues:

1. If payments are introduced, even payments in kind, The GPA will over the course of time manipulate this into pay for play. They won't be able to help themselves; after all the purpose of this organisation is to further the interests of elite players.

2. Hurling and equality. While there is no way on earth that an intercounty hurler from Liatroim has been coached or developed to a high standard by his club the same way a footballer from Mayo has, who is actually going to stand up and say the hurler's club isn't entitled to €5k every year for him training for a junior all Ireland first round knockout?

DuffleKing

Junior
Standard – E500
Semi finalist – E1000
Winners – E2000

Intermediate
Standard – E1000
Semi finalist – E2000
Winners – E5000

Senior
Standard – 2500
Semi finalist – E5000
Winners – E7000

Counties with successful championships should be in a position commercially to bring in additional revenue and the clubs should see some of it.

Dinny Breen

What the GPA will or won't do is hard to predict but they would need a serious set of balls to try and take grant money from clubs for players.

Hurling can be weighted, Liam 5k, Christy 3k and Nicky 2k. I do think it's a conversation worth having as A. It rewards the clubs and B. Resolves the club fixtures argument.
#newbridgeornowhere

Taylor

Quote from: thewobbler on March 05, 2018, 10:27:45 PM
Quote from: Orchard park on March 05, 2018, 10:09:35 PM
But one of the reasons why rural clubs don't have 30 players is because spending a couple of seasons training all summer long without games, only to be a sub and watching the county player when games do start again, is a proper kick in the teeth.

There wont be enough club players if we continue on the track we are on.

It has already started where rural clubs have to amalgamate.

Mentioning 30+ players on a panel is a pipe dream for most clubs outside of top divisions in counties

johnnycool

Quote from: thewobbler on March 06, 2018, 08:55:44 AM
Quote from: Dinny Breen on March 06, 2018, 08:31:46 AM

Two major issues:

1. If payments are introduced, even payments in kind, The GPA will over the course of time manipulate this into pay for play. They won't be able to help themselves; after all the purpose of this organisation is to further the interests of elite players.

2. Hurling and equality. While there is no way on earth that an intercounty hurler from Liatroim has been coached or developed to a high standard by his club the same way a footballer from Mayo has, who is actually going to stand up and say the hurler's club isn't entitled to €5k every year for him training for a junior all Ireland first round knockout?

You wouldn't be going and telling any of the McCrickards that anyway if you liked your front teeth  ;D

Practicalities come into play here.

We've 9 of our senior hurling panel of 24 on the current Down hurling panel. Not alone could we not field for a competitive game come the time, but we also struggle to have meaningful training sessions for the rest of the lads.

Broad brush solutions won't work.
The IC calendar has to be managed and a balance needs to be struck between club and county.
The problem is (and TBH it isn't a problem for hurling outside the top 10) that CP with its super 8 and rejigged Munster and Leinster hurling championships has went too far and has totally decimated the club scene during the summer months.

Interestingly I see Ned Quinn appointed to the fixtures committee in Croke Park. Historically Ned and Kilkenny had no issues with county hurlers going back and playing with their clubs mid championship and that didn't seem to hold them back, so I wonder if he'll bring this same mentality with him to the bigger job?

Esmarelda

johnnycool, I'm not familiar with the new hurling structures, but how does the Super 8 make things more difficult for clubs?

johnnycool

More IC games means a more condensed club calendar especially club championships for those in the super 8, no?

BennyHarp

My apologies if this has been discussed elsewhere but the proposed structure in Monaghan looks interesting;

From Sportsjoe.ie

In Monaghan, they're proposing that clubs play a minimum of nine games with members of the county panel but what they're going to offer is that these games count for more than the games without the county players.

It means clubs can be awarded more points for when they're at full strength and the new proposals for the Monaghan leagues will provide much more football for the club player in general.

Some of the highlights of the document are as follows:
•Clubs will play a minimum of nine games with members of the county senior panel (A).
•Clubs will play a maximum of nine games from which 24 members (see no. viii) of the county panel will be excluded (B).

That offers the main restructure.

More points will be awarded for a win or a draw for games in A than for the games in B.

A is with the county players and B is without the county players.

In A, each club will play every other team once.
• Five points will be allocated for a win.
• Two points for a draw.

In B, each club will play every other team once and two points will be allocated for a win and one point for a draw.

This means that 71.5 % of win points are available for the nine A games - with the county players. 28.5% for the nine B games.

The proposal will also keep county managers happy.
•A minimum of four games and a maximum of five rounds in A must be completed by Sunday 29th April.

•If Monaghan is eliminated from the All-Ireland championship before the nine B games have been played, county players can play in the remaining B games but points will be awarded based on B i.e. two points for a win and one point for a draw. This ensures that all clubs will play every other club for a total of seven points over their two matches.
•Before the B games commence, the senior Team Manager will provide the County Secretary with a list of the 24 players in the county senior panel who are excluded from club league games. The list will include no more than five players from any one club. The list may be changed on the day following each of Monaghan's championship games and clubs will be notified immediately.

If these proposals are accepted, they will ensure regular, meaningful football for club players from April right through to September and means the league can be all but done before the championship.
That was never a square ball!!

Esmarelda

Quote from: johnnycool on March 06, 2018, 12:54:17 PM
More IC games means a more condensed club calendar especially club championships for those in the super 8, no?
All counties exit the championship earlier this year than in previous years.

24 counties will be out by early July.

Condensing it should mean earlier starts for club championships.

trailer

The one thing County players and Club player can agree on is more games and less training. The Ulster and Connacht championships take an age to run off (I appreciate it may be condensed somewhat this year). Teams have 3-4 week lay offs. That's utterly stupid. All 1st round games on one weekend Sat & Sun. 2nd round next weekend - final next weekend. Whole thing condensed down. Qualifiers run off as a quick as possible. Apr - May. All Ireland super 8 then start week after the provincial finals. Finished. By the time Super 8's start in June 24 counties are finished anyway. Super 8 in June, AI Final 2nd week of July.
Now some might cry BURNOUT - but lets face it, if they aren't playing matches the players are away on holiday. They're slogging it out training for the 2-3 week lay off. Keep the push on the whole thing and get it played.

Play away at club league games during the county matches. Championship after the County team exits the AI.

Sorted.

Esmarelda

Quote from: trailer on March 08, 2018, 03:41:13 PM
The one thing County players and Club player can agree on is more games and less training. The Ulster and Connacht championships take an age to run off (I appreciate it may be condensed somewhat this year). Teams have 3-4 week lay offs. That's utterly stupid. All 1st round games on one weekend Sat & Sun. 2nd round next weekend - final next weekend. Whole thing condensed down. Qualifiers run off as a quick as possible. Apr - May. All Ireland super 8 then start week after the provincial finals. Finished. By the time Super 8's start in June 24 counties are finished anyway. Super 8 in June, AI Final 2nd week of July.
Now some might cry BURNOUT - but lets face it, if they aren't playing matches the players are away on holiday. They're slogging it out training for the 2-3 week lay off. Keep the push on the whole thing and get it played.

Play away at club league games during the county matches. Championship after the County team exits the AI.

Sorted.
Fortunately a little bit more care has been taken as there's a preliminary round in Ulster and the chance of replays to consider. But your general point is good and has been addressed.

trailer

Quote from: Esmarelda on March 08, 2018, 03:52:15 PM
Quote from: trailer on March 08, 2018, 03:41:13 PM

Sorted.
Fortunately a little bit more care has been taken as there's a preliminary round in Ulster and the chance of replays to consider. But your general point is good and has been addressed.

Given the pre-lim round it's played the week before. Winners out the next week.
No - replays. Am I right that these have been scraped bar provincial finals? IMO Finals should go to extra time as well.  Play the goddam games and quit pissing about.

Sorry - It's just maddens me the whole thing when it's so simple to fix.