The Official Golf Thread

Started by laoislad, December 28, 2006, 07:07:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

screenexile

Weird US Open not sure if I enjoyed it or not.

Fair play to Bryson everyone was laughing at him at the start of the week and he's laughing now. Yes he's games the system but it's not like he's some duffer his game wasn't far away before he added the extra length will be interesting to see if they try to change things in the next year or 2!

GiveItToTheShooters

As long as that gobshite with the stupid swing didnt win it id be happy enough.
Mcilroy bottled it again as per. Not sure why people continue to back him.

Gabriel_Hurl

Quote from: GiveItToTheShooters on September 21, 2020, 12:16:29 AM

Jim Furyk?

How did McIlroy "bottle" anything?  He's been playing shite all year. He hasn't been favourite for any tournament for a while

GiveItToTheShooters

Quote from: Gabriel_Hurl on September 21, 2020, 12:32:33 AM
Quote from: GiveItToTheShooters on September 21, 2020, 12:16:29 AM

Jim Furyk?

How did McIlroy "bottle" anything?  He's been playing shite all year. He hasn't been favourite for any tournament for a while
No, Wolff.
He was one of the favourites for the US open and hes joint favourite for the Masters (https://www.paddypower.com/golf) having bottled this tournament too. He's basically favourite for every tournament he plays, which is hilarious and ridiculous at the same time.

Gabriel_Hurl

Sounds like you don't know the meaning of "bottled"

Mikhail Prokhorov

fair play to chambeau, totally bossed a high quality field with ease

rory just did what he always does on a sunday, collapse  ;)

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Mikhail Prokhorov on September 21, 2020, 02:22:17 AM
fair play to chambeau, totally bossed a high quality field with ease

rory just did what he always does on a sunday, collapse  ;)

Obsessed  ;D

He only bottles it when he doesn't win, like the rest of the field. You truly are a tool on this
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Hound

I don't know if the stats back it up (although not sure if golf putting stats are wholly accurate given it's influenced so much by how good/bad iron and chipping play is), but to the naked eye, Rory is the weakest putter out there (bar Westwood and a few stragglers).

I was surprised how well he did this week to get into the Top 10. If his putting had been in reasonable shape he could well have got 2nd/3rd. But DeChambeau was head and shoulders the best man this week.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Hound on September 21, 2020, 08:41:01 AM
I don't know if the stats back it up (although not sure if golf putting stats are wholly accurate given it's influenced so much by how good/bad iron and chipping play is), but to the naked eye, Rory is the weakest putter out there (bar Westwood and a few stragglers).

I was surprised how well he did this week to get into the Top 10. If his putting had been in reasonable shape he could well have got 2nd/3rd. But DeChambeau was head and shoulders the best man this week.

The only one to break par?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Orior

Who was it that took 5 or 6 putts on the last?
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Angelo

McIlroy is the golfing equivalent of Lleyton Hewitt and Andy Roddick, won a few majors in their youth when the field was weak but got found out when a new generation emerged.

Nearly 6 years without a major for him now.
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Angelo on September 21, 2020, 10:40:17 AM
McIlroy is the golfing equivalent of Lleyton Hewitt and Andy Roddick, won a few majors in their youth when the field was weak but got found out when a new generation emerged.

There has been former number ones that have never won an open, Westwood and luke Donald, Luke still has time on his hands , but Westwood would need to do a Darren Clarke.

As for Rory, 4 majors is the most any Irish player has every won, and the amount of times he's been number one in the past 6 years without winning a major is some achievement also..

If you are going to use examples of tennis players and Majors, use ones that have won 4 or more  ;) Rod,  Hewitt have won 3 between them

His star has defo starting to burn out, but the amount of bad press he gets from some is slightly embarrassing, maybe had he dressed up as a leprechaun and waved the Irish flag while singing Oh ah UP the Ra on the course people might take him more seriously  ;D

smort

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on September 21, 2020, 10:53:37 AM
Quote from: Angelo on September 21, 2020, 10:40:17 AM

There has been former number ones that have never won an open, Westwood and luke Donald, Luke still has time on his hands , but Westwood would need to do a Darren Clarke.

As for Rory, 4 majors is the most any Irish player has every won, and the amount of times he's been number one in the past 6 years without winning a major is some achievement also..

If you are going to use examples of tennis players and Majors, use ones that have won 4 or more  ;) Rod,  Hewitt have won 3 between them

His star has defo starting to burn out, but the amount of bad press he gets from some is slightly embarrassing, maybe had he dressed up as a leprechaun and waved the Irish flag while singing Oh ah UP the Ra on the course people might take him more seriously  ;D

Well said MR2

Applesisapples

Not a fan, but I have to defend McIlroy here. He is not a bottler, golf as anyone who plays it will testify to is a hard game to play consistently at any standard let alone on the PGA Tour. Look at any of the players they are in form for a while then someone else steps up. Tiger is the exception in his prime. The US system is churning out high quality players all at a similar level. Prior to lockdown McIlroy was in good shape, he won the tour championship last year. Lockdown and the new baby have not helped. He is young still and plays some amazing golf, like us all he just needs to be consistent again and he will be. I read yesterday that Speech is getting similar grief from so called fans for his poor performances. like these guys or not they are good golfers and have won majors, no easy task.