Spitting

Started by ONeill, March 09, 2013, 12:02:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

spuds

Quote from: Declan on March 12, 2013, 10:03:27 AM
THE bitter Kerry-Tyrone enmity has taken yet another twist with Owen Mulligan launching an impassioned defence of his club and a team-mate amidst more allegations of a spitting incident in a high-profile GAA match.

Mulligan's club Fr Rock's from Cookstown won last month's All-Ireland intermediate football final by beating a Finuge side featuring Kerry star Paul Galvin in Croke Park.

But over the weekend a video clip of an incident in that match surfaced on YouTube appearing to show Galvin being spat on.

The clip shows Galvin wiping his face and then protesting to Mulligan (above), who was on the field but was not involved in the alleged spitting incident.

The latest allegation comes as Tyrone County Board lay a charge of disrepute against a fan for allegedly spitting at Donegal's Footballer of the Year Karl Lacey after their recent league match in Omagh, and Leitrim forward Emlyn Mulligan's allegation that he was spat at during his side's defeat to Offaly in Sunday's football league Division 4 fixture in Carrick-on-Shannon.

Mulligan took to his twitter and Facebook accounts yesterday to vigorously defend the position of his club after the video clip made its way into the public domain. On Twitter, he said the spitting allegations were "out of control."

Mulligan claims the match was played against the backdrop of abusive comments but says in a very strongly-worded statement posted on his Facebook page that he is a firm believer that "what happens on the pitch stays on the pitch". As a consequence, he didn't want to go into detail of what was said immediately after the game, saying "the GAA has had enough negative press recently."

When contacted by the Irish Independent last night Mulligan re-iterated his support for his club and outlined how verbal abuse and sledging had become "unfortunately a strong part of the game.

Wonder did Mulligan have any issues when Gormley and McMenamin were coming out with all their slabber on the pitch? Letting himself and his club down badly trying to deflect attention away from the crass spitting incident. Indefensible.
"As I get older I notice the years less and the seasons more."
John Hubbard

Nally Stand

Quote from: spuds on March 12, 2013, 11:30:23 AM
THE bitter Kerry-Tyrone enmity has taken yet another twist with Owen Mulligan launching an impassioned defence of his club and a team-mate amidst more allegations of a spitting incident in a high-profile GAA match.

Mulligan's club Fr Rock's from Cookstown won last month's All-Ireland intermediate football final by beating a Finuge side featuring Kerry star Paul Galvin in Croke Park.

But over the weekend a video clip of an incident in that match surfaced on YouTube appearing to show Galvin being spat on.

The clip shows Galvin wiping his face and then protesting to Mulligan (above), who was on the field but was not involved in the alleged spitting incident.

The latest allegation comes as Tyrone County Board lay a charge of disrepute against a fan for allegedly spitting at Donegal's Footballer of the Year Karl Lacey after their recent league match in Omagh, and Leitrim forward Emlyn Mulligan's allegation that he was spat at during his side's defeat to Offaly in Sunday's football league Division 4 fixture in Carrick-on-Shannon.

Mulligan took to his twitter and Facebook accounts yesterday to vigorously defend the position of his club after the video clip made its way into the public domain. On Twitter, he said the spitting allegations were "out of control."

Mulligan claims the match was played against the backdrop of abusive comments but says in a very strongly-worded statement posted on his Facebook page that he is a firm believer that "what happens on the pitch stays on the pitch". As a consequence, he didn't want to go into detail of what was said immediately after the game, saying "the GAA has had enough negative press recently."

When contacted by the Irish Independent last night Mulligan re-iterated his support for his club and outlined how verbal abuse and sledging had become "unfortunately a strong part of the game.

Wonder did Mulligan have any issues when Gormley and McMenamin were coming out with all their slabber on the pitch? Letting himself and his club down badly trying to deflect attention away from the crass spitting incident. Indefensible.
Fair play to him. If Kerry lads were dishing out sectarian abuse, then it deserves to be brought up. It's every bit as as vile as spitting on someone.
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

spuds

Quote from: Nally Stand on March 12, 2013, 11:39:04 AM

Fair play to him. If Kerry lads were dishing out sectarian abuse, then it deserves to be brought up. It's every bit as as vile as spitting on someone.

I see Nally has the blinkers back on ready to back his side regardless of what happened.  ::)
"As I get older I notice the years less and the seasons more."
John Hubbard

ballinaman

From the weekend...Leitrim v Offaly match, Emlyn Mulligan had this to say on twitter afterwards.

"I've seen some dirty acts in Gaa but for a player covered in blood to spit blood on a fellow players face(mine) is disgraceful carry on"

"Fair play to the ref tho,he gave him a straight red for it and only right!!surely deserves more than a one match suspension"

Nally Stand

Quote from: spuds on March 12, 2013, 11:42:32 AM
Quote from: Nally Stand on March 12, 2013, 11:39:04 AM

I see Nally has the blinkers back on ready to back his side regardless of what happened.  ::)

Blinkers? So public condemnation of a Tyrone man spitting is fine but sectarian abuse from Kerry players should not be spoken of? And I'm the one with blinkers on???  :o
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

shezam

paul galvin ‏@pgal10
To say i am disappointed and saddened by Eoin Mulligans comments this morning is an understatement.

Onion Bag

Nally, spitting and name calling (no matter what the name it is) cannot be in the same category,

If Paul Galvin had spat on a cookstown player, would love to have heard your response,
Hats, Flags and Head Bands!

Nally Stand

Quote from: Onion Bag on March 12, 2013, 12:00:24 PM
Nally, spitting and name calling (no matter what the name it is) cannot be in the same category,

If Paul Galvin had spat on a cookstown player, would love to have heard your response,

Sectarian abuse is not just "name calling" in the same way as racist abuse is not just "name calling". Spitting, sectarian abuse and racist abuse are three actions that are well beneath contempt.

Moortown Spuds

Spitting is the act of a tr**p.
Name calling (sectarian) is the act of a fool.
Sledging (the type Mugsy is alluding to) is also the act of a tr**p.

Tubberman

Quote from: Nally Stand on March 12, 2013, 12:10:49 PM

Sectarian abuse is not just "name calling" in the same way as racist abuse is not just "name calling". Spitting, sectarian abuse and racist abuse are three actions that are well beneath contempt.

Hang on, sectarian abuse? Between two Irish, Catholic (assumption on my part), GAA players?
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

Onion Bag

I agree that they are all beneath contempt,

but would you rather someone gob in your face or call you a sectarian name like a british bastard or a fenian bastard or whatever

they are not on the same level or knowhere near the same level

Hats, Flags and Head Bands!

Nally Stand

Quote from: Tubberman on March 12, 2013, 12:22:45 PM

Hang on, sectarian abuse? Between two Irish, Catholic (assumption on my part), GAA players?

In 2011 when Dublin hammered Tyrone, as we were walking up Jones Rd, a crowd of Dubs behind us started singing and jeering and shouting at us to "f**k off back to England" (yes, England) and calling us "black bastards". Stupidity is no excuse. Sectarian abuse is sectarian abuse.

Moortown Spuds

Player in question didnt have the guts to spit in Galvins face to be fair. What in God's name possessed him to carry out the yellowest trampiest act?

Nally Stand

Quote from: Onion Bag on March 12, 2013, 12:23:49 PM

but would you rather someone gob in your face or call you a sectarian name like a british b**tard or a fenian b**tard or whatever

As far as I'm concerned, one would be as scummy an action as the other. In fact personally speaking, I think a player spitting at me would be less likely to provoke a reaction than a fellow Irishman calling me a british b*****d etc, but that is not the point. They are both filthy scummy actions and as such, if one action is worthy of public condemnation, then it's a beyond hypocritical to criticise someone for daring to mention the other.

Tubberman

Quote from: Nally Stand on March 12, 2013, 12:33:52 PM
Quote from: Onion Bag on March 12, 2013, 12:23:49 PM

but would you rather someone gob in your face or call you a sectarian name like a british b**tard or a fenian b**tard or whatever

As far as I'm concerned, one would be as scummy an action as the other. In fact personally speaking, I think a player spitting at me would be less likely to provoke a reaction than a fellow Irishman calling me a british b*****d etc, but that is not the point. They are both filthy scummy actions and as such, if one action is worthy of public condemnation, then it's a beyond hypocritical to criticise someone for daring to mention the other.

Mulligan isn't just mentioning the verbal abuse though, he's defending the guy who spat at Galvin.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."