Joe Brolly

Started by randomtask, July 31, 2011, 05:28:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Sheehy

And to think some people thought that little gimp was a better player than Maurice Fitzgerald  ::)

Maurice=legend, Canavan= cheating gobshite

end of argument.

Zulu

Watched it again there repeatedly and there is no connection whatsoever that would draw blood and still no blood apparent when he is leaving the pitch. But even if Peter's head is made of egg shell and he did get cut it wasn't of the variety required to go down and if the collision meant he lost his footing then no need to stay down. As you say ML to compound matters the officiating was of the standard we come to expect, he didn't see what happened and didn't consult with his fellow officials who might have but still felt confident enough in himself to award a yellow to a full back withing 5 minutes of throw in!!

haranguerer

Quote from: Zulu on May 11, 2012, 11:05:00 PM
Look, if you're defending that then you're defending all diving.

Holy f**k...can you not get that the issue being argued is over whether this is a dive or not?? It has nothing to do with the issue of diving overall, its one incident. There are plenty of instances where canavan has dived, they're indefensible, this isnt defending canavan, its pointing out that in this instance IT WASNT A DIVE

Zulu

Eh???? Yes it was a dive, just because there is contact doesn't mean it isn't a dive. It is only when you and others cannot or will not see that this is a dive that the health of the game comes into the argument. If there are functioning adults who have played the game and watched that clip who think it wasn't a dive then there has never been a dive in Gaelic football and all is right in the world. Contact me bollocks, if it wasn't enough to put you down and keep you down then it is a dive. Christ, if we are to accept Peter was legitimately felled by that then pretty much anything short of a lad throwing himself to the ground before anyone else even enters the pitch is ok!!! And that is the point which you clearly don't get.

haranguerer

Falling on the ground isnt so much as to do with contact as balance ffs. Look at his feet - how to f**k is he supposed to stay up when he bounces off McCarthy. I've already said it was all his own doing, and he may have stayed down too long, but if you can see him throwing himself deliberately to the ground from that video, you're blind.

By your reckoning, if a man goes over on his ankle on the pitch, and falls to the ground, hes just dived. Its nonsensical. Canavan wasnt responsible for kinneavey getting the incident completely arseways

Armaghgeddon

Pete knew that Tyrone were going to lose possession so he took a dive. I bet if Tyrone weren't going to lose the ball he would have went out into space on the far side. Also, it wasn't like he never had enough time to stop and never even put his hands out to stop himself colliding.

Zulu

Quote from: haranguerer on May 12, 2012, 04:34:16 PM
Falling on the ground isnt so much as to do with contact as balance ffs. Look at his feet - how to f**k is he supposed to stay up when he bounces off McCarthy. I've already said it was all his own doing, and he may have stayed down too long, but if you can see him throwing himself deliberately to the ground from that video, you're blind.

By your reckoning, if a man goes over on his ankle on the pitch, and falls to the ground, hes just dived. Its nonsensical. Canavan wasnt responsible for kinneavey getting the incident completely arseways

Will you stop FFS, if he did lose his balance, which is debatable, then he simply should have got up. A dive is not only going to ground for no reason it is also faking injury when there is contact. We could argue all year whether he needed to go down or not and none of us can prove our argument but I think we all agree he exaggerated his injury and in my book that's a dive and shouldn't be justified by any means. Call it what you like but his actions from start to finish are a blight on football.

bigpaul

I always thought Peter was a wee shite in this incident!When I saw this argument I studied the clip very closely.If you go to 50 seconds on the clip it takes you to the beginning of the slow-motion replay.In the slow-motion it is clear that Peter actually comes in under Mike Mc Carthy's arm,he certainly doesn't hit Mike's elbow with the front of his head, and goes to ground initially holding his hand to the side/back of his head.On hitting the ground he rolls,on coming out of the roll his hand is holding his face/eye area.I would have to say,if there was blood Peter must have removed an old scab with his gloves while rubbing his face!

Stevie g 8

Anyone that says canavan dived is talking complete shite.Kerry always playing the poor mouth with their whinging after a team stand up to them.canavan was more sinned again than sinner

Tubberman

Quote from: Stevie g 8 on May 12, 2012, 11:16:34 PM
Anyone that says canavan dived is talking complete shite.Kerry always playing the poor mouth with their whinging after a team stand up to them.canavan was more sinned again than sinner

There's none so blind as those who refuse to see
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

Zulu

That's for sure, most of them wearing Tyrone shirts

armaghniac

Quoteone of the top players of the past 20 years who always led by example on the field

Quite a few in Tyrone followed his example, to be sure.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

screenexile

He wasn't so special when he tried it on with Johnny McBride ... He was up to all sorts all the time and because he was a small man he got away with it more often than not!!! I have no sympathy for Canavan ever and he should have been the one booked for that appalling dive!!!!

ONeill

Authorities lying down to football's con artists

Joe Brolly

Published on Friday 11 May 2012 13:05

With 12 minutes to go in the 1972 All Ireland Hurling Final, the 'Cats' were in dire straits, trailing by eight points to a rampant Cork. Eddie Keher won a ball near the touchline and took a ferocious belt of a hurl in his unguarded face.

Undaunted, he soloed through and drove a remarkable goal to the net. He turned and went back to his position, his face a mask of blood from the deep gash over his eye. The stitches could wait. Keher's goal launched a legendary turnaround. He had been well held until that point but after the 'belt' went into overdrive. By the final whistle he had 2-9 to his name and Kilkenny were champions by seven points. It was a glorious and honourable day.

Mike Mac, Clare trainer during Ger Loughnane's glorious reign, famously said "Men win All-Irelands." In hurling, this is true. I vividly remember sitting in the Cusack stand for the epic '09 final. Tommy Walsh was just in front of us when he got a powerful belt in the face from Tipp's Benny Dunne. The force of it knocked him to the ground but Walsh got straight back up, snarling. Dunne was sent off because the referee had no option, not because Tommy was writhing around on the grass. Hurlers are men of honour. They zealously guard their dignity. Neither I nor anyone in the RTE Sports Department could recall an instance of a hurler feigning injury to get an opponent carded. This is because it does not happen.

The same can no longer be said of Gaelic football. There is a joke that did the rounds a few years ago: Q. Why do hurlers not feign injury? A. Because Tyrone don't play hurling.

In a 2002 World Cup group game, Brazil's Rivaldo was waiting for the ball to take a corner kick against Turkey. A Turkish player kicked the ball towards him as Rivaldo was looking the other way. The lightweight FIFA ball struck him below the knee. The Brazilian dropped to the turf clutching his face, then writhed around in agony on the ground until the referee produced a red card for the hapless Turk. We laughed and smugly shook our heads, certain that such dishonourable behaviour would never deface our game. We're not laughing now.

The following year, the Tyrone bandwaggon rolled into town and the virus of feigning injury was injected into the game. In the first round replay against Derry at Casement, Sean Kavanagh and Derry's Padraig O'Kane ran across each other near the sideline. Sean went down clutching his face. O'Kane was sent off. Slow motion replay revealed minimal contact. In the Ulster final a month later, Down's Gregory McCartan had a free awarded against him and petulantly tossed the ball towards Brian McGuigan who went down hard, hands glued to his face. Another red card. In that year's All-Ireland semi-final versus Kerry, Peter Canavan tried to get Michael McCarthy sent off in the eighth minute in an absolutely shocking incident that has become immortalised on youtube. During a break in play, McCarthy was standing with his back to Peter with his arms outstretched. Canavan ran from behind into his arm, then went to ground clutching his face. McCarthy was yellow carded. Type 'Peter Canavan hits the deck' into your search engine and watch open-mouthed as the incident unfolds. Wee Peter dived so much that year a cartoon appeared of him on the internet in his Tyrone kit, wearing a snorkel and flippers.

The lowest point came in the final when Philip Jordan ran into Diarmuid Marsden off the ball, then went down rolling in anguish on the ground, cradling his jaw. The referee was conned and Marsden was red carded. When Central Council reviewed the video footage a few weeks later they revoked the red card and cleared the Armagh man. In his autobiography Joe Kernan's outrage was still palpable. He wrote of being, "disgusted by the actions of at least one Tyrone player who mockingly clapped Diarmaid off the pitch." The video is still on YouTube. Afterwards, Marsden - a man of integrity - was particularly distraught that his daughter when she grew up would find out her father had been sent off in an All Ireland final. As Kernan put it in his book, "thankfully, at least a good man's name was cleared." Colm Cavanagh did it for Derry's James Conway in this year's McKenna Cup final. There was no contact between them at all. Big Colm, all 6'3'' and 15 stone of him, went down in agony. James was red carded. A somewhat sheepish CHC rescinded it when they watched the video and realised the referee had been taken for a ride. It has become commonplace.

When Kerry's Aidan O'Mahoney got Cork's Donnacha O'Connor sent off in the 2008 semi-final in another YouTube classic, it was another nail in the coffin of sportsmanship. Again, the card was rescinded on appeal. Dublin's Diarmuid Connolly suffered the same fate in last year's semi-final. Donegal's Marty Boyle shouldered Connolly off the ball, Connolly pushed him back in the shoulder and Marty was suddenly unconscious. The Red card was rescinded.

In the recent NFL final, when Mayo's Donal Vaughan took on the role of ham actor, throwing himself backwards to the ground holding his face after a minor shoving match with Cork's Fintan Goold, I said on television that it was a disgrace that was disfiguring the game. Surprisingly, this provoked a massive wave of protest from Mayo folk, which tells you all you need to know about how the ethos of the game has changed. My cousin John plays full back for Dungannon RFC. He told me this week that anyone feigning injury in a rugby game to get an opponent carded would be ostracised by their team mates and club members. It used to be like this in our own game, but not any longer. Not only is it acceptable to cheat, it is now unacceptable to criticise the practice. Sadly, Men no longer win football All-Irelands.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

ONeill

Brolly's research seems to involve a sweep of youtube.

Marsden's red card was rescinded on a technicality. When Kernan et al headed up to HQ to present their case, the ban stood after analysing video footage. Later, they managed to get the ban overturned when Armagh appealed to Central Council on a procedural matter, stating that the GAC had failed to clarify with them if the referee had consulted with an umpire on the day.

The Brian McGuigan incident was definitely shameful.

But why has Brolly taken 9 years to have the balls to say what he feels?
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.