David Clifford

Started by JimStynes, August 21, 2017, 08:09:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Armagh18

It's definitely a debate now. Take both out of their respective teams the past few years and neither would have had much success.

Mario

Quote from: Goals_Will_Come on January 23, 2024, 11:54:35 AMIs Conor Glass the most impactful player in the GAA? Not a better player but more impactful on his team.
Is his contribution to Glen and Derry greater than what Clifford has brought to Kerry and Fossa?
Not in my view. As a Derry fan i'd be more worried if Rogers or McGuigan were missing for us. Don't get me wrong Glass is a great player but McGuigan is central to everything we do in attack and Rogers is just a brilliant player. Argument could also be made that McKinless is more irreplaceable as well.

I don't think you can say Glass is the most impactful player in the GAA when it is debateable if he is the most impactful player in his own team.

NotedObserver

Quote from: Mario on January 23, 2024, 12:16:28 PM
Quote from: Goals_Will_Come on January 23, 2024, 11:54:35 AMIs Conor Glass the most impactful player in the GAA? Not a better player but more impactful on his team.
Is his contribution to Glen and Derry greater than what Clifford has brought to Kerry and Fossa?
Not in my view. As a Derry fan i'd be more worried if Rogers or McGuigan were missing for us. Don't get me wrong Glass is a great player but McGuigan is central to everything we do in attack and Rogers is just a brilliant player. Argument could also be made that McKinless is more irreplaceable as well.

I don't think you can say Glass is the most impactful player in the GAA when it is debateable if he is the most impactful player in his own team.

McKinless also a major influence also though Glass influence could grow this year

93-DY-SAM

Quote from: NotedObserver on January 23, 2024, 12:48:33 PM

McKinless also a major influence also though Glass influence could grow this year

Glass didn't have his best year in a Derry jersey last year. Brendan Rogers was much more influential and had a greater impact on Derry performing well. Glass prob had a better season than Rogers the year before that. I don't think both have quite managed to hit their best at the same time - yet!

onefineday

Quote from: 93-DY-SAM on January 23, 2024, 12:56:37 PM

Glass didn't have his best year in a Derry jersey last year. Brendan Rogers was much more influential and had a greater impact on Derry performing well. Glass prob had a better season than Rogers the year before that. I don't think both have quite managed to hit their best at the same time - yet!
To my mind Glass has been the major factor behind Derry's renaissance. I would agree he wasn't as influential in games last year as he had been the year before. I think that's in part because of the lack of a break he got, culminating in an injury in the league final (and again little or no break to recover from that properly) and the defensive midfield sweeping role he was given.
I suspect the example and standards he sets have rubbed off massively on the rest of the squad. The contributions from guys like Rodgers and McKinless have improved beyond all recognition over the past couple of years, so for me he's Derry's most important and influential player. Is he more important to Derry than Clifford to Kerry though? I think he might be, but I never want it tested!

Mario

Quote from: onefineday on January 25, 2024, 01:06:49 AM

To my mind Glass has been the major factor behind Derry's renaissance. I would agree he wasn't as influential in games last year as he had been the year before. I think that's in part because of the lack of a break he got, culminating in an injury in the league final (and again little or no break to recover from that properly) and the defensive midfield sweeping role he was given.
I suspect the example and standards he sets have rubbed off massively on the rest of the squad. The contributions from guys like Rodgers and McKinless have improved beyond all recognition over the past couple of years, so for me he's Derry's most important and influential player. Is he more important to Derry than Clifford to Kerry though? I think he might be, but I never want it tested!
The major factor behind Derry's renaissance was Rory Gallagher. Adding the return of Glass and getting commitment from McKinless all added to it but without Gallagher we would not be where we are now. The likes of McKaigue and Rodgers were always top players they just didn't have the structures in place to allow that to be shown at the top end of county football.

Armagh18

I wonder if Kerry played Derry both teams full strength bar the two lads, who'd win?

My money would be on Derry. (I know both likely to be missing at the weekend but theres plenty more missing as well for both apparently)

93-DY-SAM

Aye, that's a fair assessment. Regarding last year, losing that club final and coming back into the county so quickly prob caught up with him. He definitely was one cog in turning around Derry County football over the last few years. We are very fortunate to also have other great footballers at present plus throw in a fire/desire lit by RG (let's not get into a conversation on RG) and things are running nicely for Derry at present. Can we combine all that to win an AI? I don't know. But these past few years have brought back an optimism that we have as good a shout as most other teams for the first time in a long long time and with good reason. What way that works out we'll just have to see.

PS. Conscious of highjacking a thread on DC. Just that a comparison was made with Glass earlier in the thread and it has got off topic a wee bit.

tbrick18

Quote from: Mario on January 25, 2024, 09:04:43 AM

The major factor behind Derry's renaissance was Rory Gallagher. Adding the return of Glass and getting commitment from McKinless all added to it but without Gallagher we would not be where we are now. The likes of McKaigue and Rodgers were always top players they just didn't have the structures in place to allow that to be shown at the top end of county football.

I have to agree with this.
RG was the catalyst, he showed the lads what was needed to improve and win. But the ground work was already done in terms of underage and in particular the emergence of Slaughtneil as a powerhouse, followed by Magherafelt and then Glen (on the heels of a massive achievement at under age level). Add in Derry minors being at the top end for a consistent period.
We're going through a purple patch in terms of strong club sides, good county board structures and people (I know some people will dispute that) and now some players from the north of the county starting to filter through this season.
It might all be short term, so we need to try to make the most of it when we can.

Is Glass more important to Derry than Clifford is to Kerry?
Well Clifford starred against Derry and Kerry beat us, whereas he was not at his best in the final and they got beat.
If Glass had a poor game, I'd still be reasonably confident we have others who can step up - and that's not to take away from how good Glass is or the impact he's had, but they both do different jobs.
So I would say Clifford is more important to Kerry.
Now if you asked the question is Clifford more important to Kerry than Shane McGuigan is to Derry I think Shane McGuigan gets that nod. We wouldnt win much without him.