Tyrone County Football and Hurling

Started by Fear ón Srath Bán, April 01, 2007, 05:58:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Club boi

Numbers mean nothing these days. You can't disagree the Ulster Final was an end to end fascinating game of football

He also has the b@lls to make Big Calls like making K Hughes mark his full forward mate at the time Mc Manus

Redhand Santa

Since Tyrone lost to Mayo we've had the usual anti Harte stuff on here and over the top reaction to a defeat. A picture has been painted that Tyrone play a highly defensive game with no attacking play. But as usual this was only based on the last game or two and everything before ignored.

In the four games before the Ulster final Tyrone scored:
1 17 v Cavan in the league final
3 14 up in Derry in Ulster
0 16 v Cavan in Ulster semi
5 18 v Cavan in replay

In the Ulster final Tyrone had to do whatever it took to get past a Donegal team that really hard to play against and have had the upper hand for a number of years. 13 points was a lot more than many others managed against them in recent years. That Ulster title was very important for most of the team to get their hands on a first senior championship medal.

I was as disappointed as anyone in relation to the Mayo game. I thought out mindset was too negative. Maybe after a year in division 2 the team struggled with the athleticism of a real top team but I do think we should have left more forwards up and ronan O'Neill isolated was a bad call.

Hopefully next season in division one and the confidence of Ulster title can bring the team on further and really challenge. Getting a forward or two to step us is still going to be the big issue.

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: Redhand Santa on October 15, 2016, 09:43:31 AM
Since Tyrone lost to Mayo we've had the usual anti Harte stuff on here and over the top reaction to a defeat. A picture has been painted that Tyrone play a highly defensive game with no attacking play. But as usual this was only based on the last game or two and everything before ignored.

In the four games before the Ulster final Tyrone scored:
1 17 v Cavan in the league final
3 14 up in Derry in Ulster
0 16 v Cavan in Ulster semi
5 18 v Cavan in replay

In the Ulster final Tyrone had to do whatever it took to get past a Donegal team that really hard to play against and have had the upper hand for a number of years. 13 points was a lot more than many others managed against them in recent years. That Ulster title was very important for most of the team to get their hands on a first senior championship medal.

I was as disappointed as anyone in relation to the Mayo game. I thought out mindset was too negative. Maybe after a year in division 2 the team struggled with the athleticism of a real top team but I do think we should have left more forwards up and ronan O'Neill isolated was a bad call.

Hopefully next season in division one and the confidence of Ulster title can bring the team on further and really challenge. Getting a forward or two to step us is still going to be the big issue.

Good post.

I've said before the margins for us to win an All Ireland from where we are now is very small. If we had a reliable free taker we'd probably be in two successive All Ireland finals by now, we're close to where we need to be and we just have a couple of tweaks to make to the team - overcoming the free issue and finding a good inside target man are the two that I think will make us All Ireland Champions. We can win an All Ireland playing the type of football we are. As the games between Mayo, Tyrone, Dublin and Kerry showed this year - there is not a lot between the teams and the games can be decided on small incidents.

Dublin scored 2-09 against Mayo in the first final, two of which were own goals. They scored 1-15 in a replay, a goal of which came out my a completely inexplicable goalkeeping meltdown under no pressure. Sometimes the bits of luck go against you, sometimes they go for you. We got 12 points against Mayo, take away the fortune element and it's not far off from where we need to be. Other than those fortunate goals Dublin got, Mayo were very solid at the back.

We have a good base where we are right now, we don't need major restructuring to win an All Ireland, we just need the small adjustments - whether we can implement those effectively is the task that Harte has in front of him.

omagh_gael

Margins very slim indeed. If McAliskey hit the net instead of hitting Clarke we'd have made the final. Hoping a year in division 1 with a slightly more attacking focus will serve us well if we manage to meet one of the big guns in Croker later in the summer.

omagh_gael

Cathal Mccarron going to be on the late late show on Friday night, I wonder whether this will go down well with Mickey?

skeog

I am sure Cathal is a big boy who decides his own appearances.

Localexpert

Quote from: skeog on October 18, 2016, 03:12:07 PM
I am sure Cathal is a big boy who decides his own appearances.

I'm sure you'd agree cathals previous decisions have been questionable.  Anyway we'll see what micky thinks of if come football time in the new year.

I'd imagine if the players are allowed to talk to rte like we have constantly been told then cathal will keep his place and other player will follow suit therefore ending the stand off...... here's hoping .... well the sponsors are hoping anyway  ::)

square_ball

I really don't get this nonsense about sponsors' bring unhappy about not being on RTE. Managers don't hold up a big banner with the company logo and tell everyone how to get in touch with McAleer and rushe if they're looking a hotel built. Sponsors get more exposure through a good run on the pitch etc not some poxy 1 minute interview on RTE every few weeks where you mightn't even see the logo.

Club boi

Quote from: square_ball on October 18, 2016, 05:57:22 PM
I really don't get this nonsense about sponsors' bring unhappy about not being on RTE. Managers don't hold up a big banner with the company logo and tell everyone how to get in touch with McAleer and rushe if they're looking a hotel built. Sponsors get more exposure through a good run on the pitch etc not some poxy 1 minute interview on RTE every few weeks where you mightn't even see the logo.

Good Run = More Interview Possibilities = More Advertising Opportunities

Il Bomber Destro

+1

The sponsors should be concerned with how results are on the pitch if they are seeking some benefit of it.

Localexpert

I didn't say they were unhappy but for God's sake it doesn't take a genius to think that they'd rather have their logo shown up close and personnal on the national broadcaster thanot not shown at all.

square_ball

It's shown up 'close and personal' on BBC, sky sports, every newspaper from the Dungannom Observer to the Irish news to the Daily Sport. As I say 30 second interviews on RTE shouldn't force the sponsors' to lose any sleep and supporters to lose their shit over.

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: Localexpert on October 18, 2016, 07:16:52 PM

I didn't say they were unhappy but for God's sake it doesn't take a genius to think that they'd rather have their logo shown up close and personnal on the national broadcaster thanot not shown at all.

It gets shown up close and personal every time Tyrone play on live TV.

lenny

Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on October 18, 2016, 06:27:54 PM

+1

The sponsors should be concerned with how results are on the pitch if they are seeking some benefit of it.

lol, you don't really know much about advertising if you don't realise that the interviews are a time for the adverisers logo to have a couple of minutes in a prime staionary position on tv. That's a lot different from in play where you may or may not even notice who is sponsoring a team. On another point it will be very interesting to see how mccarron is treated next year by harte if he does indeed go on the late late show. My sense is that he will get an opportunity to start his mma career sooner than he was expecting.

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: lenny on October 18, 2016, 08:31:11 PM
Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on October 18, 2016, 06:27:54 PM

+1

lol, you don't really know much about advertising if you don't realise that the interviews are a time for the adverisers logo to have a couple of minutes in a prime staionary position on tv. That's a lot different from in play where you may or may not even notice who is sponsoring a team. On another point it will be very interesting to see how mccarron is treated next year by harte if he does indeed go on the late late show. My sense is that he will get an opportunity to start his mma career sooner than he was expecting.

What extra business will they get from some farmer in Mayo viewing a sponsor logo when a  manager is interviewed on a Sunday afternoon before or after a game?

I think it is you who fails to understand advertising. McAleer and Rushe are paying Tyrone primarily for association with their team, not getting their logo flashed up for 30 seconds in a pre/post match interview. What they should be concerned about is Tyrone going far in the summer every year and being a serious team who compete in big games, that's all they need to worry about and that's all they will worry about. Spoofers like you should toddle on as when you get ideas above your station you remove all doubt your idiocy.