GAA Response to Coronavirus

Started by screenexile, March 12, 2020, 12:10:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

armaghniac

Quote from: WT4E on March 19, 2020, 10:52:59 AM
Quote from: Cunny Funt on March 19, 2020, 09:41:57 AM
Quote from: Taylor on March 19, 2020, 08:44:50 AM
Quote from: Eamonnca1 on March 18, 2020, 10:42:25 PM
I'd say all sport is done for the year. They're still claiming the Olympics are going ahead but I'll be very surprised if they happen.

Australian GP is off, and I'll be surprised if there's any F1 racing this season at all.

Not sure about the full year but I would expect nothing to be on before August.

A lot will depend on what happens in China over the next few weeks

China has reported no new local infections for the first time today, hopefully that continues.

Mid July at the earliest for the start of the championship I'd reckon with no games out in London, New York this summer as the UK, USA haven't taken this virus as serious as the ROI have.  With no back door and 2nd tier in the championship it can be completed in a 8 week window.

Do you believe that though?

Why not? If people do not mingle then the virus stops. 
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

balladmaker

Quote from: armaghniac on March 19, 2020, 01:19:37 PM
I'd say all sport is done for the year. They're still claiming the Olympics are going ahead but I'll be very surprised if they happen.

Australian GP is off, and I'll be surprised if there's any F1 racing this season at all.

China has reported no new local infections for the first time today, hopefully that continues.

Mid July at the earliest for the start of the championship I'd reckon with no games out in London, New York this summer as the UK, USA haven't taken this virus as serious as the ROI have.  With no back door and 2nd tier in the championship it can be completed in a 8 week window.

Why not? If people do not mingle then the virus stops.

It is as simple as that, nowhere to spread to then it can't spread.

Cunny Funt

Yes, afterall China has been basically in lockdown since the end of January.

johnnycool

Using that John Hopkins university data, off the 3,249 deaths in the whole of China 3,130 deaths were in Hubei province.

Some of the other provinces which are far larger than a lot of European countries in terms of population are posting 22 deaths and less.

That is some reduction in mortality from when it started in Hubei to when it spread to the other provinces, so they must have been doing something right when they decided that they actually had a problem.

https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/map.html

imtommygunn

Quote from: Cunny Funt on March 19, 2020, 03:16:35 PM

Why would they continually report all these cases and deaths and then suddenly say 0 as well.

Even say they are say 20 or 30 cases out in accuracy which granted they may be it is still hugely improved so like others say they really must be doing something right.

Cunny Funt

Quote from: imtommygunn on March 19, 2020, 03:53:37 PM
Quote from: Cunny Funt on March 19, 2020, 03:16:35 PM

Why would they continually report all these cases and deaths and then suddenly say 0 as well.

Even say they are say 20 or 30 cases out in accuracy which granted they may be it is still hugely improved so like others say they really must be doing something right.

Their last number of reported cases came from overseas travel which is stopped now and that might explain the zero figure. They are doing something right and others ourselves included no matter how stubborn must follow their lead.

marty34

I see O'Neills in Strabane are temporarily 750 workers.
Sad news everywhere.

armaghniac

A lot of cases in ROI today, if you believe  the data 3 times that of whole UK.

Quote from: johnnycool on March 19, 2020, 03:30:22 PM
Using that John Hopkins university data, off the 3,249 deaths in the whole of China 3,130 deaths were in Hubei province.

Some of the other provinces which are far larger than a lot of European countries in terms of population are posting 22 deaths and less.

That is some reduction in mortality from when it started in Hubei to when it spread to the other provinces, so they must have been doing something right when they decided that they actually had a problem.

If you can treat people then the death rate will be modest and  people in severe  difficulty anyhow. If the health service gets overrun then 5 times as many die, and these might have lived for decades in some cases. That what flattening the curve is all about.

I see Nowlan park now to be a drive in centre. 

seafoid

Quote from: johnnycool on March 19, 2020, 03:30:22 PM

Are they classifying deaths correctly though?
They had stats like Italy and suddenly everything stopped.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

magpie seanie

Lots of moving parts to this but in answer to some of the comments above the data is there to suggest:

1. China and neighbouring Asian countries did a brilliant job of locking down this virus.

2. Unfortunately, the west didn't learn the lessons and ignored the problem until it was too late. The west put their economies ahead of people with a tinge of racism and superiority and is now going to pay a hefty price unfortunately

3. Ireland is doing better in my view than most of Europe and the US but we're still not testing nearly enough and we should have had a full lockdown much, much sooner.

4. Spain, Switzerland, UK, France, Germany - stats look really bad when you look at infection rates and testing rates per capita. This is a huge worry for us in Ireland as I think while we're going to be in trouble, these other bigger countries will be much worse.

There are of course many unknowns such as how effective contact tracing and social distancing are from place to place. My read is that in Ireland the authorities are bullish about the success of their contact tracing efforts and hence we haven't gone full lockdown. I really hope they're right and my worry is that while our testing effort thus far has been better than some, it's still not at a level to give you confidence.

johnnycool

Back to the GAA.

Has any CB's frozen admin fees for clubs?

armaghniac

Quote1. China and neighbouring Asian countries did a brilliant job of locking down this virus.

Yes, they did. This is largely because they had worked out strategies for SARS and redeployed these.

Quote2. Unfortunately, the west didn't learn the lessons and ignored the problem until it was too late. The west put their economies ahead of people with a tinge of racism and superiority and is now going to pay a hefty price unfortunately

This is only partly true. The virus spread to different places in Europe, making it hard  to pin down.

Quote3. Ireland is doing better in my view than most of Europe and the US but we're still not testing nearly enough and we should have had a full lockdown much, much sooner.

Remember too that places like Singapore have never had a  full lockdown, nor have schools closed there, they rely on testing and comprehensive contact tracing to keep a lid on things. As an island with a similar population, we could do likewise, if the DUP weren't scoring political points.

bigarsedkeeper

Quote from: johnnycool on March 20, 2020, 11:18:32 AM
Back to the GAA.

Has any CB's frozen admin fees for clubs?
We haven't heard anything anyway. They'll probably wait until the next phase of shutdown is announced. Surely that will come in the next few days? Ban at the minute only goes to next Sunday - do you think they'll call it for all of April like the soccer?

Rossfan

I'd say they'll close all activity till 1st May at least.
Realistically are we talking 1st July though?

Páirc Uí Chaoimh and Limerick Gaelic Grounds to be used as Test Centres.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Angelo

Quote from: magpie seanie on March 20, 2020, 10:27:50 AM
Lots of moving parts to this but in answer to some of the comments above the data is there to suggest:

1. China and neighbouring Asian countries did a brilliant job of locking down this virus.

2. Unfortunately, the west didn't learn the lessons and ignored the problem until it was too late. The west put their economies ahead of people with a tinge of racism and superiority and is now going to pay a hefty price unfortunately

3. Ireland is doing better in my view than most of Europe and the US but we're still not testing nearly enough and we should have had a full lockdown much, much sooner.

4. Spain, Switzerland, UK, France, Germany - stats look really bad when you look at infection rates and testing rates per capita. This is a huge worry for us in Ireland as I think while we're going to be in trouble, these other bigger countries will be much worse.

There are of course many unknowns such as how effective contact tracing and social distancing are from place to place. My read is that in Ireland the authorities are bullish about the success of their contact tracing efforts and hence we haven't gone full lockdown. I really hope they're right and my worry is that while our testing effort thus far has been better than some, it's still not at a level to give you confidence.

I'd agree with this but I think Ireland benefited massively from being a small island on the outer West of Europe.

I think the South reacted much more seriously than the Tory/Unionist cabal up North, but travel should have been locked down on this island over a full month ago from infected areas. We were in a fantastic position to minimise the impact here but the horse had bolted long before the gate was shut.

The next few weeks will really tell us all.
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL