GAA Response to Coronavirus

Started by screenexile, March 12, 2020, 12:10:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rossfan

They'll want the GAA to wipe their behind next  ::)
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

magpie seanie

Quote from: NAG1 on March 12, 2020, 02:42:03 PM
Quote from: magpie seanie on March 12, 2020, 02:29:36 PM
Better late than never but was a little slower than it should have been.

What less than a couple of hours after the government statement to the same effect, after following advice of government departments for the previous couple of weeks?  ::)

I expect us to lead that's all.

five points

Nobody died because the GAA waited til the afternoon today rather than rushing an announcement ahead of the government.

thewobbler

Quote from: five points on March 12, 2020, 04:03:08 PM
Nobody died because the GAA waited til the afternoon today rather than rushing an announcement ahead of the government.

Didn't you hear? Two juggernauts are currently on a road not big enough for both, and look like meeting each other head at some indiscernible time in the future. Had the GAA been bothered to put a few "slow down" signs on the road last week, this surely would have helped.

balladmaker

Personally, I'm disappointed, was really looking forward to Armagh v Roscommon on Saturday night, but we're in a unique situation at present.  I'd a weird feeling leaving Enniskillen last weekend that it could be the last game for a while, and here we are.  I think a resumption in 2 weeks is very optimistic, but here's hoping.

Rudi

Quote from: magpie seanie on March 12, 2020, 03:59:54 PM

What less than a couple of hours after the government statement to the same effect, after following advice of government departments for the previous couple of weeks?  ::)

Why would the GAA lead on this, have they the relevant medical experts to come to medical conclusions. The government has medical advisors to advise - so the government leads and the GAA follows. This is exactly what happened here. Exactly how it should be.

screenexile

Quote from: Rudi on March 12, 2020, 04:59:40 PM
Quote from: magpie seanie on March 12, 2020, 03:59:54 PM

Why would the GAA lead on this, have they the relevant medical experts to come to medical conclusions. The government has medical advisors to advise - so the government leads and the GAA follows. This is exactly what happened here. Exactly how it should be.

As the largest community organisation in the country should the GAA not have been proactive with the authorities in assisting information campaigns/advice to members etc.? God knows how many millions of people in the country are involved in GAA Whatsapp groups across the country the GAA could definitely have done more!!

ck

Quote from: thewobbler on March 12, 2020, 01:40:59 PM
Quote from: ck on March 12, 2020, 01:33:21 PM
Quote from: thewobbler on March 12, 2020, 01:20:45 PM
Why on earth would the GAA have ordered a full shutdown when all its members are still mingling daily at school and work?

The GAA can now follow up appropriately and will do today.

Some of you are demanding. Some of you are just twisty and nasty. Most of you are just unrealistic.

It's called leadership! The GAA has a responsibility to look after the best interest of its members and players. Regardless of what other activities its members get up to there is an onus on the GAA hierarchy to give a clear direction for matches and club activity. I'm sure they will get their act together soon following the Gov announcement but I'd have expected it to be sooner.

Again, unrealistic, demanding, maybe even twisty.

As of this morning, every u7, u9 and u11 rural Gael in Ireland was sitting in a confined space with all other children their age.

Even the under 7s would have been able to point out the flaw in telling them the GAA club had stopped their training.

Twisty?! Get over yourself!

I have an 85 year old mother, I'm at my club 3 evenings per week training teams. The last thing I want to do is carry something back to my Mum.
As a governing body the GAA has a responsibility and therefore needed to give some direction, not to sit on their hands.

thewobbler

Quote from: ck on March 12, 2020, 05:21:12 PM
Why on earth would the GAA have ordered a full shutdown when all its members are still mingling daily at school and work?

Some of you are demanding. Some of you are just twisty and nasty. Most of you are just unrealistic.

It's called leadership! The GAA has a responsibility to look after the best interest of its members and players. Regardless of what other activities its members get up to there is an onus on the GAA hierarchy to give a clear direction for matches and club activity. I'm sure they will get their act together soon following the Gov announcement but I'd have expected it to be sooner.

As of this morning, every u7, u9 and u11 rural Gael in Ireland was sitting in a confined space with all other children their age.

Even the under 7s would have been able to point out the flaw in telling them the GAA club had stopped their training.

I have an 85 year old mother, I'm at my club 3 evenings per week training teams. The last thing I want to do is carry something back to my Mum.
As a governing body the GAA has a responsibility and therefore needed to give some direction, not to sit on their hands.

I too have pensioner parents.

And I object as is strongly as possible to you claiming that the "GAA has a responsibility" in the subsequent sentence.

Just what does it take for people like you start assuming personal responsibility?

seafoid

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/abandoned-gaa-leagues-and-restructured-championships-on-the-cards-1.4201358

There is a desire to finish the All-Irelands by the scheduled dates, as not to do so would compromise club fixtures up and down the country. If maintaining that schedule requires the re-introduction of a knock-out format, last exclusively seen 24 years ago, that may well be considered.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

RadioGAAGAA

Quote from: seafoid on March 12, 2020, 06:01:28 PM
https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/abandoned-gaa-leagues-and-restructured-championships-on-the-cards-1.4201358

There is a desire to finish the All-Irelands by the scheduled dates, as not to do so would compromise club fixtures up and down the country. If maintaining that schedule requires the re-introduction of a knock-out format, last exclusively seen 24 years ago, that may well be considered.

There won't be a championship in 2020. This thing will last (at least) 6 months.

[at least, you better f**king pray it does, 'cos otherwise the health services will utterly collapse]
i usse an speelchekor

seafoid

Quote from: RadioGAAGAA on March 12, 2020, 06:06:17 PM

There won't be a championship in 2020. This thing will last (at least) 6 months.

[at least, you better f**king pray it does, 'cos otherwise the health services will utterly collapse]
I doubt it will last 6 months
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Solo_run

Quote from: thewobbler on March 12, 2020, 05:31:00 PM
Quote from: ck on March 12, 2020, 05:21:12 PM

I too have pensioner parents.

And I object as is strongly as possible to you claiming that the "GAA has a responsibility" in the subsequent sentence.

Just what does it take for people like you start assuming personal responsibility?

You take personal responsibility when it comes to your own personal hygeine. It's other people that don't.

BennyCake

Quote from: seafoid on March 12, 2020, 06:09:25 PM

You think shorter or longer?

Solo_run

Quote from: BennyCake on March 12, 2020, 06:12:23 PM
Quote from: seafoid on March 12, 2020, 06:09:25 PM

You think shorter or longer?

Longer with the approach UK and US are taking.