International rules

Started by tonto1888, September 26, 2017, 09:32:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eamonnca1

tonto1888

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on November 20, 2017, 07:29:20 PM
Any harm in talking about the aesthetics of the game? Personally I find it great to watch. Seems to flow a lot better. No pulling and dragging, no blanket defences because of the mark. I say take out the behind posts and incorporate the rest of the rules into GAA football.

I enjoyed it also and agree with a lot of this. Not sure about the tackle though. However in football we do need a defined tackle

Rossfan

What sort of tackle would   you suggest?
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

tonto1888

Quote from: Rossfan on November 21, 2017, 09:48:27 AM
What sort of tackle would   you suggest?

I don't make the rules. Maybe we already do have a clearly defined tackle but in that case Id like to see it reffed consistently as it seems to be very inconsistent from game to game and within games too. Its frustrating as a fan and must be more so as a player

Rossfan

Without checking I thing the Treoir refers to tackling as a skill and you can only tackle the ball.
Sure nearly every tackle in practice is technically illegal and every ref seems to have their own interpretation.

tonto1888

Quote from: Rossfan on November 21, 2017, 10:04:50 AM
Without checking I thing the Treoir refers to tackling as a skill and you can only tackle the ball.
Sure nearly every tackle in practice is technically illegal and every ref seems to have their own interpretation.

that's what I mean and I have probably phrased it wrong earlier. Its very frustrating anyway and something I think needs looking at

Rossfan

Enforce the 4 step rule first.

tonto1888

Quote from: Rossfan on November 21, 2017, 10:27:22 AM

that is another frustratingly inconsistent rule

sligoman2

If you enforce the 4 step rule there would be a free every time someone got the ball.  I say increase it to seven steps and enforce it.
I still remember the 12 steps Oconnor took against us this year in Castlebar before scoring a goal.  It is ridiculous.

Agree with the definition of a tackle, I don't know what you can do as it seems to depend on the ref and not the rule book
I used to be indecisive but now I'm not too sure.

haranguerer

If this was properly enforced many of the problems in the game around contact and the tackle would be eradicated.

From the Bunker

Quote from: sligoman2 on November 21, 2017, 10:49:13 AM
If you enforce the 4 step rule there would be a free every time someone got the ball.  I say increase it to seven steps and enforce it.
I still remember the 12 steps Oconnor took against us this year in Castlebar before scoring a goal.  It is ridiculous.

Agree with the definition of a tackle, I don't know what you can do as it seems to depend on the ref and not the rule book

I suppose we had the Karma of Con O'Callaghan doing the same thing to us! :-\

Esmarelda

Quote from: From the Bunker on November 21, 2017, 11:36:05 AM

Replace four steps with three seconds. Simple.

GetOverTheBar

Never watched the rules series this year live, I've been away - but I've always liked the concept.

I think the GAA would improve if we adapted the Aussie's tackle, a clear defined tackle would be in the interest of everyone, especially the players. Another upside of this would be an instant end of the death by handpass that seems to be turning people off the game.

Syferus

The four step rule is easily the stupidest in the sport, which is why it's so regularly fudged.

sligoman2

Quote from: From the Bunker on November 21, 2017, 11:36:05 AM

Exactly and it's not a good feeling...
I used to be indecisive but now I'm not too sure.