The IRISH RUGBY thread

Started by Donnellys Hollow, October 27, 2009, 05:26:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AZOffaly

Quote from: Syferus on November 13, 2017, 03:18:08 PM
Quote from: Orchard park on November 13, 2017, 03:07:12 PM
Quote from: Syferus on November 13, 2017, 02:17:13 PM
Quote from: Owen Brannigan on November 13, 2017, 01:19:04 PM
No one noticed our own South African Rob Herring joining Stander and Aki.

He already made his debut years ago.

think it was 3 years ago.
equally NON IRISH as the others

Never got this fascination with non-Irish in rugby when most of our best ever soccer team sounded like they were from Liverpool.

I wouldn't be upset about having players like CJ Stander (absolute world class and would be the star of the current SA team) or even Akki who has the traits to add something we've been missing at centre.

If they help us finally make the semis the WC they will be forever remembered and this shite will be long forgotten.

It's not shite though Syf. At least the soccer lads are supposed to have some sort of familial tie to Ireland, and as I said before, I'd be a long time waiting before I told my London born cousins that they are not Irish.

Rugby is a career decision in many cases, and while those are the rules and we are not breaking any rules, it does call into question the notion of the 'national' part of 'international' rugby. To my mind, at this stage, it is Interunion Representative Rugby.

johnneycool

Quote from: Orchard park on November 13, 2017, 03:30:50 PM
the FAI milked granny rule to its last but this residency rule is a joke. so by your criteria CJ Stanbder is a good player so its ok.

he is taking some lad from Cork Con or Shannon or Young Munsters spot no matter how its dressed up.

its not like they are Pat Duignan and entitled to play for Ireland ( off and google that one Sfyeris)

Not sure anyone is entitled to anything especially in professional sport.

Walter Cronc

With regard to Aki AZ, I was referring to the wider media in general and not your good self :)

tonto1888

Quote from: Orchard park on November 13, 2017, 03:30:50 PM
the FAI milked granny rule to its last but this residency rule is a joke. so by your criteria CJ Stanbder is a good player so its ok.

he is taking some lad from Cork Con or Shannon or Young Munsters spot no matter how its dressed up.

its not like they are Pat Duignan and entitled to play for Ireland ( off and google that one Sfyeris)

they are entitled to play for Ireland though or else they wouldn't be playing

screenexile

What about Tony Cascarino eh??!!!

mrhardyannual

I'm not a rugby man but enjoy watching the games. I'd say Bundee Aki has done more to popularise the game here in Mayo than Neil Francis or a dozen more former internationals whose names had to be prefaced with half the alphabet i.e. NPJ Francis. I noted that in his article Francis spoke of the GAAs "pride of the parish". I know few GAA clubs who wouldn't welcome a newcomer to the town/parish and have him playing asap if good enough. My own club benefitted over the years from lads working in the Post Office, Garda, Teachers, Bank,
CIE etc and there was no talk of blow-ins. If a local lost his place to a newcomer it was generally because he wasn't as good or didn't apply himself. The competition often brought out the best in both. Inter-county football was no different. Louth won their '57 All Ireland with two Mayomen at midfield. Has Larry Tompkins become a Corkman yet?

Wildweasel74

I dont know what every is complaining about, i want a team to compete with the best, England has 10 times the population of Ireland, at least 5 times the no of professional rugby teams, the Underwoods were playing for England 25yrs ago, am not sure if they were born there. England played 3 south Africans, 2 samoans, 1 NW and 1 Australian in a 6 nations game a few years back, and we wondering why they are winning everything. Am all on for beating them at their own game

AZOffaly

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on November 13, 2017, 06:33:17 PM
I dont know what every is complaining about, i want a team to compete with the best, England has 10 times the population of Ireland, at least 5 times the no of professional rugby teams, the Underwoods were playing for England 25yrs ago, am not sure if they were born there. England played 3 south Africans, 2 samoans, 1 NW and 1 Australian in a 6 nations game a few years back, and we wondering why they are winning everything. Am all on for beating them at their own game

That's my point. The rule is/was stupid. For all "national" teams.

Zulu

I don't know how lads can justify this stuff, rugby or soccer. The rugby situation is a complete joke but a lot of the 'emigrant nation' dresses up us digging up some faint Irish connection to get an England B player to tog for us. For me it's quite simple, an Irish international (team or individual) should be Irish. That means they could be born in a different country but should identify as Irish as opposed to using it for international recognition. Living here a few years doesn't make you Irish no more than I'll ever be British though I've lived here for a while now so that residency rule is rubbish. For lads who want to win no matter the make up of our teams, why not just go the whole hog and have transfers like clubs?

Syferus

Quote from: Zulu on November 13, 2017, 06:47:27 PM
I don't know how lads can justify this stuff, rugby or soccer. The rugby situation is a complete joke but a lot of the 'emigrant nation' dresses up us digging up some faint Irish connection to get an England B player to tog for us. For me it's quite simple, an Irish international (team or individual) should be Irish. That means they could be born in a different country but should identify as Irish as opposed to using it for international recognition. Living here a few years doesn't make you Irish no more than I'll ever be British though I've lived here for a while now so that residency rule is rubbish. For lads who want to win no matter the make up of our teams, why not just go the whole hog and have transfers like clubs?

Bit like Meathman Dean Rock playing for your Dubs, eh?

Wildweasel74

cause Ireland like every else is changing, hell where i live there more polish than Irish, better behaved they are too for that matter, every look at the french national team, many are immigrant families who came from french colonies. we got a man running the country of a indian background, Ireland do not have that big a pick to start with and will always play 2nd fiddle to gaelic, hurling, soccer etc

trileacman

It's a joke plain and simple, if we had no Johnny Foreigner willing to play for us and the English were awash with them then you'd all have a f**king different tune. Just because a few can rumble about it seems to make it alright.

I wonder was this how the French reacted when the top 14 employed the legion of mercenaries and decimated their national rugby team.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

Syferus

Quote from: trileacman on November 13, 2017, 09:01:02 PM
It's a joke plain and simple, if we had no Johnny Foreigner willing to play for us and the English were awash with them then you'd all have a f**king different tune. Just because a few can rumble about it seems to make it alright.

I wonder was this how the French reacted when the top 14 employed the legion of mercenaries and decimated their national rugby team.

French Rugby has been shîte for longer than they've been throwing around big money. Same goes for England.

Orchard park

Quote from: Syferus on November 13, 2017, 06:49:00 PM
Quote from: Zulu on November 13, 2017, 06:47:27 PM

Bit like Meathman Dean Rock playing for your Dubs, eh?

??????

Garristown is Co Dublin.... an ashbourne postal address but most definitely a Dublin house.....

Think you mixed up with Michael Deegan in your Google search !!!!

tonto1888

I'm guessing nobody on here was following Ireland in the RLWC?