Clerical abuse!

Started by D4S, May 20, 2009, 05:09:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

We all know this disgusting scandal is as a result of The Church and The State, but who do you hold mostly accountable, and should therefore pay out the most in compensation to victims?

The State
The Church
Split 50/50

TheOptimist

Quote from: T Fearon on February 14, 2018, 06:14:59 PM
Quote from: Owen Brannigan on February 14, 2018, 02:01:52 PM
Quote from: T Fearon on February 14, 2018, 01:31:46 PM
Anyone else think it a bit strange one of Finnegan's victims took phone calls from him every Saturday and payments when Finnegan was in England supposedly getting therapy and resumed a sexual relationship with him when he came back to Ireland?

This shows your complete ignorance of the power of the abuser this situation.  The abuser has groomed the victim, abused him, convinced the victim that it is he who is doing wrong and made it impossible to break away.  Abuse is about power over the victim and on the evidence of last night's programme Finnegan was well practised in controlling the victim.

Bullshit.The victims allegedly were scared of him.But one travelled some distance every Saturday to take his phone calls and a weekly £10 payment when he had the opportunity to sever all connections.Bizarre bordering on complicity.

Your deflecting Tony. And are shameless in doing so.

The priest was a sick paedo, the church covered it up as usual. The church has shamed themselves time after time and it all has opened peoples eyes to the fact that the whole thing is BS.

smelmoth

Quote from: T Fearon on February 14, 2018, 06:14:59 PM
Quote from: Owen Brannigan on February 14, 2018, 02:01:52 PM
Quote from: T Fearon on February 14, 2018, 01:31:46 PM
Anyone else think it a bit strange one of Finnegan's victims took phone calls from him every Saturday and payments when Finnegan was in England supposedly getting therapy and resumed a sexual relationship with him when he came back to Ireland?

This shows your complete ignorance of the power of the abuser this situation.  The abuser has groomed the victim, abused him, convinced the victim that it is he who is doing wrong and made it impossible to break away.  Abuse is about power over the victim and on the evidence of last night's programme Finnegan was well practised in controlling the victim.

Bullshit.The victims allegedly were scared of him.But one travelled some distance every Saturday to take his phone calls and a weekly £10 payment when he had the opportunity to sever all connections.Bizarre bordering on complicity.

Nasty. Plain nasty

Milltown Row2

Quote from: T Fearon on February 14, 2018, 08:21:47 PM
Nasty or not,it's a fact and one that is hard to understand

A bit like you
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

tonto1888

its hard to understand because, presumably, you've never been in that situation. Neither have I. I don't understand it either and don't want to, but it doesnt in any way shape or form make what happened any less vile - the abuse and the cover up

smelmoth

I agree that the degree of control that an abuser has over a victim is hard to understand. Only a victim can really understand that and even then they can only really explain it to another victim.

But something being difficult to explain doesn't give you the right to be nasty about it. Being nasty was something you chose to do

Tony Baloney

Tony has form in condemning the victims and their parents whereas he hasn't been as vociferous in his condemnation of the Church. Brainwashed.

armaghniac

Quote from: T Fearon on February 15, 2018, 12:04:49 AM

Not brainwashed but curious.Young primary kids being terrified yes,but a guy at grammar school well into his teens going out of his way to take phone calls from his abuser (and money of course) every Saturday and then allowing him to resume his nefarious activities on his return stretches credulity.

When I was at grammar school a lot of the teachers were ridiculed by the lads,including priests,there was a couple of science teachers,disciplinarians,that you wouldn't have messed with, but lads generally would have stood up for themselves and not allowed anyone to manipulate them

This class of person was careful not to abuse one of" the lads generally", but rather to pick on someone with some vulnerabilities.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Owen Brannigan

Quote from: Tony Baloney on February 14, 2018, 10:00:07 PM
Tony has form in condemning the victims and their parents whereas he hasn't been as vociferous in his condemnation of the Church. Brainwashed.

Not brainwashed but curious.Young primary kids being terrified yes,but a guy at grammar school well into his teens going out of his way to take phone calls from his abuser (and money of course) every Saturday and then allowing him to resume his nefarious activities on his return stretches credulity.

When I was at grammar school a lot of the teachers were ridiculed by the lads,including priests,there was a couple of science teachers,disciplinarians,that you wouldn't have messed with, but lads generally would have stood up for themselves and not allowed anyone to manipulate them

My understanding from the media is that the victim whom T Fearon is attacking was not abused within St Colman's college but was an altar boy in Hilltown at the age of 10 when the abuse began by Finnegan as the local priest after he had been moved from St Colman's College by Bishop Brookes. 

Therefore, this attack on the victim, as posted above, by T Fearon has no relevance to the type of poor attitude of the 'College Boys' in Armagh toward their teachers as described by T Fearon that was well known at the time he went to that school.

From Irish News:

A MAN who was sexually abused by a priest as a child said the cleric warned it would "ruin" his life if he spoke out. Sean Faloon from Hilltown was a 10-year-old altar boy when he was first abused by Fr Malachy Finnegan.

Fr Finnegan, who died in 2002, also abused boys at St Colman's College in Newry. He taught at the school from 1973 to 1976 and was school president between 1976 and 1987. The first of 12 abuse allegations was reported to the Diocese of Dromore in 1994. The diocese has settled a claim with one of the victims.

Mr Faloon told the BBC that Fr Finnegan abused him for eight years from 1989. He said Fr Finnegan, who was never prosecuted for sexual abuse, began hugging him after Mass. "Then, at a later date that became kissing and it progressed from there over the next year or so to full sexual contact," he said. Mr Faloon said Fr Finnegan would call at his house after Mass and tell his parents he needed help to "lift boxes from the wardrobe".

"He told me if I ever came out about what was going on, or told anybody, it would ruin me for the rest of my life," he said.

The abuse against Mr Faloon came to light when, at the age of 17, he told his GP. Mr Faloon's family and police were later informed. He told the BBC he never made a formal complaint against Fr Finnegan because he felt he was "too young to deal with the hassle"."I wanted to deal with normal 17-year-old life," he said.

johnneycool

You're some hypocritical bollox Tony,
     In one breath you can't fathom how a teenage would be scared out if his wits by an adult systematically abusing him and throwing the wee fella a tenner at the end of the dirty deed and then try and justify the acts of a 39 year old man with degrees in Canon law hanging out of him as only being a notary reporting to him superiors.

If there's any christianity in you then you are doing a good job of suppressing it by the comments you make on numerous threads on this DB.
If that's what going to mass and attending the sacraments does to you then I think you'd be better off not attending and making a mockery of them.

lurganblue

The church is not doing enough IMO. Bishop McAreavy has a lot to answer for with regards to the Finnegan disgrace.  They need to stop being shrouded in secrecy and start throwing people under the bus so to speak.

https://www.irishnews.com/news/2017/11/22/news/lurgan-priest-monsignor-hamill-resigns-after-historical-complaint-probe-1193484/

Only a few weeks ago we had this information relayed to us during mass in Lurgan.  I was stunned when we as a congregation were then asked to say a prayer for the Monsignor fs.

Owen Brannigan

Quote from: lurganblue on February 15, 2018, 10:05:15 AM
The church is not doing enough IMO. Bishop McAreavy has a lot to answer for with regards to the Finnegan disgrace.  They need to stop being shrouded in secrecy and start throwing people under the bus so to speak.

https://www.irishnews.com/news/2017/11/22/news/lurgan-priest-monsignor-hamill-resigns-after-historical-complaint-probe-1193484/

Only a few weeks ago we had this information relayed to us during mass in Lurgan.  I was stunned when we as a congregation were then asked to say a prayer for the Monsignor fs.

But that action was just that, throwing one person under the bus for show while so much abuse is left undisturbed by the Church in this diocese.

Owen Brannigan

tonto1888

Quote from: T Fearon on February 15, 2018, 08:37:27 PM
Quote from: Owen Brannigan on February 15, 2018, 09:10:24 AM

My understanding from the media is that the victim whom T Fearon is attacking was not abused within St Colman's college but was an altar boy in Hilltown at the age of 10 when the abuse began by Finnegan as the local priest after he had been moved from St Colman's College by Bishop Brookes. 

Therefore, this attack on the victim, as posted above, by T Fearon has no relevance to the type of poor attitude of the 'College Boys' in Armagh toward their teachers as described by T Fearon that was well known at the time he went to that school.

Ffs how many times where we told that things would ruin our lives but went on regardless.I just don't understand nor accept the alleged power these monsters masquerading as priests had,nor frankly do I believe it.The only people I feared growing up was my parents,mainly due to the fact that I knew if I stepped out of line a hiding would be forthcoming

From Irish News:

A MAN who was sexually abused by a priest as a child said the cleric warned it would "ruin" his life if he spoke out. Sean Faloon from Hilltown was a 10-year-old altar boy when he was first abused by Fr Malachy Finnegan.

Fr Finnegan, who died in 2002, also abused boys at St Colman's College in Newry. He taught at the school from 1973 to 1976 and was school president between 1976 and 1987. The first of 12 abuse allegations was reported to the Diocese of Dromore in 1994. The diocese has settled a claim with one of the victims.

Mr Faloon told the BBC that Fr Finnegan abused him for eight years from 1989. He said Fr Finnegan, who was never prosecuted for sexual abuse, began hugging him after Mass. "Then, at a later date that became kissing and it progressed from there over the next year or so to full sexual contact," he said. Mr Faloon said Fr Finnegan would call at his house after Mass and tell his parents he needed help to "lift boxes from the wardrobe".

"He told me if I ever came out about what was going on, or told anybody, it would ruin me for the rest of my life," he said.

The abuse against Mr Faloon came to light when, at the age of 17, he told his GP. Mr Faloon's family and police were later informed. He told the BBC he never made a formal complaint against Fr Finnegan because he felt he was "too young to deal with the hassle"."I wanted to deal with normal 17-year-old life," he said.

you don't understand because, presumably, you've never been in that situation. Neither have I. I don't understand it either and don't want to, but it doesnt in any way shape or form make what happened any less vile - the abuse and the cover up

Owen Brannigan

T Fearon if you are even remotely interested in trying to understand how abusers gain a hold over their victims then watch this video:
https://t.co/E3upZz47DH

Owen Brannigan

Quote from: T Fearon on February 17, 2018, 11:40:30 AM
So when does this "hold" end? When the victims grow up and smell the money? What about my experience on the periphery of this in 1978, when as a student working in a leisure centre I saw a full time work "colleague" arrested,charged,convicted and imprisoned for abusing two young brothers in the changing rooms.Do you know why this happened? Very simple.Abused young boys told their parents,who immediately told the police.Good children,good parenting,that's what it's all about,and that was in the 1970s.

So the parents of all those children abused by Barry Bennell were not good parents, the parents of those children abused by Brendan Smyth were not good parents and the parents of those children abused by Malachy Finnegan were all bad parents, incapable of good parenting.

Not sure if you have been blessed with any children of your own but the vast majority of parents do their best to look after their children to the best of their ability.  The issue with abuse by these people is that they were in positions of trust where they preyed on children.