2019 All-Ireland Senior Hurling Championship

Started by MasterJ, July 01, 2019, 10:09:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MasterJ

Quote from: Tony on July 15, 2019, 03:44:21 PM
Do you reckon we could be in line for multiple (4 or 5) all-star nominees...and, dare I ask, do you think we could actually have one or two all - stars named on the 15?

I doubt we will get any but we will get nominations. Rowland will I would say, Mullaney might, Kelly might and maybe Purcell. And maybe Aaron Dunphy.

South Laois man

We might get a nomination or two Tony but couldn't actually see us getting one. The All Stars are usually picked from semi finals onwards.

Keyser Söze

Hard to see Rowland not getting a nomination. I reckon he is in with a shout.

Serious performance by Laois again yesterday. Playing really efficient hurling. Overcame a couple of serious setbacks to keep hurling.
It was an emotional occasion.

There are a couple of "Key" things that need to be done now.
On the senior intercounty front the key is that these guys return in November in good shape and use the Winter to further their conditioning. The alternative is that 3 months work will be needed to get guys back to zero, and the physical gap further widens between us and our 4 companions in next years LSHC. The old connundrum, are you coming back fit to train or are you coming back training to get fit?

13 of the starting 15 can be key men over the next 5-6 years. Their example, leadership and now their experience, is crucial as a couple of guys come in each year.

There will be bad days ahead when everything falls into place for the big teams over the next couple of years. After this past few weeks they have created a template for themselves to light the way- keep doing what we do.
Rowland will be there for a long time. The game plan suits Cleere and suits Hartnett. We are going to have to find a third member of the full back line somewhere. Matthew obviously isn't the long term answer, but wouldn't be at all surprised to see him there next year.

Anyways, enough spoofing, fair play lads, they can hurl in Laois you know!

The greatest trick the devil ever pulled.......

Don Draper

Quote from: Chrimtain on July 15, 2019, 10:36:59 AM
Quote from: Heshs Umpire on July 15, 2019, 10:28:12 AM
Quote from: LOVEGAA on July 15, 2019, 10:25:34 AM
Quote from: Don Draper on July 15, 2019, 09:45:20 AM
Is Paudie Maher ok lads? He took an awful clatter I'd say, the poor owl divil.
I'd imagine he'll be out for the final !
Unlikely he'll ever hurl again  I'd say. Career ending injury if I ever saw one.

No, he'll be back for the Wexford match. They make them tough down in Tipp (so they say themselves, anyway).
He must have been made somewhere else so the way he fell over

Don Draper

Quote from: blueandwhite1 on July 15, 2019, 10:45:54 AM
Quote from: Don Draper on July 14, 2019, 11:54:17 PM
Savagely proud of our boys. As for Tipp, tramps to a man

You are a despicable and cowardly excuse for a man. Everyone in Tipp is a tr**p, everyone in Offaly is a c*^t by your anonymous estimation.

So do include lads like Brendan Cummins, the Tipp players who clapped the Laois team off the field and the vast majority of Tipp people who have nothing but respect for Laois hurling?

That's an unwarranted attack, you hurt my feeling.

Don Draper

Quote from: clonadmad on July 15, 2019, 01:37:11 PM

You are a despicable and cowardly excuse for a man. Everyone in Tipp is a tr**p, everyone in Offaly is a c*^t by your anonymous estimation.

So do include lads like Brendan Cummins, the Tipp players who clapped the Laois team off the field and the vast majority of Tipp people who have nothing but respect for Laois hurling?

+1

But you'd be worse to be replying to that fool of a man who contributes nothing on here
Ah cmon now, you're not all that bad.

MasterJ

Quote from: Don Draper on July 15, 2019, 04:17:42 PM
Quote from: clonadmad on July 15, 2019, 01:37:11 PM

+1

But you’d be worse to be replying to that fool of a man who contributes nothing on here
Ah cmon now, you’re not all that bad.

Brendan Cummins is actually quite fond of Laois and in particular Enda Rowland. He keeps singing his praises on the Sunday game.

Goku

Quote from: Keyser Söze on July 15, 2019, 04:07:13 PM
Hard to see Rowland not getting a nomination. I reckon he is in with a shout.

Serious performance by Laois again yesterday. Playing really efficient hurling. Overcame a couple of serious setbacks to keep hurling.
It was an emotional occasion.

There are a couple of "Key" things that need to be done now.
On the senior intercounty front the key is that these guys return in November in good shape and use the Winter to further their conditioning. The alternative is that 3 months work will be needed to get guys back to zero, and the physical gap further widens between us and our 4 companions in next years LSHC. The old connundrum, are you coming back fit to train or are you coming back training to get fit?

13 of the starting 15 can be key men over the next 5-6 years. Their example, leadership and now their experience, is crucial as a couple of guys come in each year.

There will be bad days ahead when everything falls into place for the big teams over the next couple of years. After this past few weeks they have created a template for themselves to light the way- keep doing what we do.
Rowland will be there for a long time. The game plan suits Cleere and suits Hartnett. We are going to have to find a third member of the full back line somewhere. Matthew obviously isn't the long term answer, but wouldn't be at all surprised to see him there next year.

Anyways, enough spoofing, fair play lads, they can hurl in Laois you know!

Leigh Bergin would be a good addition to the full back line, their is a few years left in Matt yet but think maybe half back is still his best position

G@@

Realistically, there are three games they will have a look at to nominate Laois players for All-Stars: the McDonagh Cup Final, the Dublin P-QF game and the Tipperary AIQF game.

That is enough material for the selectors, considering All Stars are usually picked for nomination from the Q Finals, S Finals and Final.

There will be a push to nominate some Laois players from many quarters of the media as we are the romantic story of 2019. As to whether or not a Laois player lands an All Star remains to be seen if our dazzling summer story can be eclipsed with an even more dazzling one such as, perhaps - Wexford winning the AI.
"I can't get over you - 'till you come out from under him" - Pat Shortt - Class!

G@@

Quote from: Goku on July 15, 2019, 04:45:59 PM
Leigh Bergin would be a good addition to the full back line, their is a few years left in Matt yet but think maybe half back is still his best position.

Agreed, Matthew is better at home with the No. 6 on his back - but what about Mullanney?
"I can't get over you - 'till you come out from under him" - Pat Shortt - Class!

Don Draper

Quote from: G@@ on July 15, 2019, 04:49:13 PM
Realistically, there are three games they will have a look at to nominate Laois players for All-Stars: the McDonagh Cup Final, the Dublin P-QF game and the Tipperary AIQF game.

That is enough material for the selectors, considering All Stars are usually picked for nomination from the Q Finals, S Finals and Final.

There will be a push to nominate some Laois players from many quarters of the media as we are the romantic story of 2019. As to whether or not a Laois player lands an All Star remains to be seen if our dazzling summer story can be eclipsed with an even more dazzling one such as, perhaps - Wexford winning the AI.
I can see 3 nominations. Enda, Jack and one from Mark, Paddy or Aaron. That in itself would be massive. We'll obviously dominate the McDonagh, I could see 10 awards there.

Might be hard to win one on the half back line, Paudie Maher will no doubt get his posthumously.

blueandwhite1

Quote from: G@@ on July 15, 2019, 04:50:36 PM
Quote from: Goku on July 15, 2019, 04:45:59 PM
Leigh Bergin would be a good addition to the full back line, their is a few years left in Matt yet but think maybe half back is still his best position.

Agreed, Matthew is better at home with the No. 6 on his back - but what about Mullanney?

You'd have to think that Mullaney will be centre back for Laois for the next 10 years if Podge Delaney doesn't push him off that slot. Superbly talented and great physical presence. Hopefully Leigh and Matthew will slog it out for full back but Leigh would be more likely to take the position long term, assuming he returns. Eric Killeen did himself no harm in there this year either. Looks better in central roles than in the corner or on the wing.

SCFC

Mossy Bruce

Quote from: Giovanni on July 15, 2019, 12:13:41 AM
... Being made to play 3 weeks in a row. All Ireland champions Limerick would not have come through that. They don’t want the likes of Laois playing at this level. It’s a disgrace to be honest.
The current set up for how the two Joe McDonagh Cup finalists merge into the All-Ireland Championship really is rigged against them as far as the tight scheduling between matches. A successful JMcD team (like our superheroes) must run a gauntlet of three matches in as many weeks, where the Leinster contenders are allowed to rest, be content, train, and plan at their leisure for two to three weeks before taking to the pitch against a battle-worn JMcD team. I’d like to believe this is just a gross over-sight by the GAA but…
LAOIS! LAOIS! LAOIS!

seafoid

I'd say that it will be fine tuned over the winter. The result vs the Dubs was probably unexpected when the programme was being put together.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU