Galway vs Dublin - All Ireland Semi Final - 11/8/2018

Started by Mayo4Sam14, August 06, 2018, 02:00:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mouview

Quote from: hardstation on August 11, 2018, 08:18:40 PM
Quote from: macdanger2 on August 11, 2018, 08:14:14 PM
Disappointing for Galway today but definitely progress from previous years. I think ye need a better manager than Walsh there, I don't think he's good enough to beat Dublin.
Realistically, the manager is not the problem.

No, but he didn't appear to have any real game plan or alternative tactics today. Brannigan could have been hooked immediately after the peno (why didn't Armstrong take it?) Backs were all at sea and nobody was detailed to mark Ciaran KK who ran the show. Kerins had his poorest outing of the season; Sweeney and Bradshaw were simply blown out of it. Heaney was poor. Subs once again too late in coming. Comer got the goal and won the penalty; suddenly he spent the rest of the half way out the field. Why? Ian Burke was out best forward today, a little over 12 months since he first started. Just not good enough stewardship I'm afraid.

An Fhairche Abu

Quote from: sid waddell on August 11, 2018, 09:52:14 PM
Quote from: An Fhairche Abu on August 11, 2018, 09:38:25 PM
Lot of talk here about sides that didn't make the semi-finals. Lads Mayo were nowhere this year, who did they beat in a big game? Their overall competitive match record for 2018 is terrible and they are very lucky to be still in Division 1 next year. I appreciate that they have the hearts of the neutrals but there was nothing from them this year to suggest that they could replicate their AI performances from 16/17 against Dublin, a brutal injury list compounded the fact that they don't have a squad to match the quality of their first 15.
What did Mayo show in July 2016 or July 2017 to suggest they'd be challenging for the All-Ireland?

James Kielt had one kick of the ball to eliminate them in Castlebar last year and had he converted that free, Mayo would have been out, and people would have been saying "Mayo were at nothing this year".

In 2009 Sligo had a penalty to eliminate Kerry in a qualifier but missed it. It was in the middle of a run of three qualifier games where Kerry were deeply unimpressive. Yet Kerry went on to win the All-Ireland.

A classic outcome-based narrative.
But those teams actually made finals, Mayo 2018 went out in the third round of the qualifiers, there's a very clear and easy distinction to be made. If Mayo had gone out to Derry last year then, yes, they would have been at nothing.
Could Mayo have rocked up today and performed better than Galway? Absolutely possible, we didn't put the bar too high to surpass to be honest.
However, I don't think that Mayo with Parsons out, the likes of Boyle, Moran, Higgins a year older and (particularly in the case of Boyle) not playing as well as they have previously could have beaten Dublin, I don't think the Mayo of 2018 would have won an All Ireland or got within a replay/point of Dublin.
If you think that Mayo would have sprung into life if they made the semi-finals this year, fine, it's wishful thinking in my (and it is only my) opinion.

Wildweasel74

Whats running them tight 4-5 pts after 55mins before they blow u away! Tyrone ok but Dublin width would open them up easy enough and maybe only 3 or 4 of them would make the dublin team at a stretch!

Mayo4Sam14

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on August 11, 2018, 10:38:39 PM
Whats running them tight 4-5 pts after 55mins before they bliw u away! Tyrone ok but Dublin width would open them up easy enough and maybe only 3 or 4 of them would make the dublin team at a stretch!

That's when you put the pressure on Cluxton
You can forget about Sean Cavanagh as far as he's a man!

sid waddell

Quote from: An Fhairche Abu on August 11, 2018, 10:34:38 PM
Lot of talk here about sides that didn't make the semi-finals. Lads Mayo were nowhere this year, who did they beat in a big game? Their overall competitive match record for 2018 is terrible and they are very lucky to be still in Division 1 next year. I appreciate that they have the hearts of the neutrals but there was nothing from them this year to suggest that they could replicate their AI performances from 16/17 against Dublin, a brutal injury list compounded the fact that they don't have a squad to match the quality of their first 15.
What did Mayo show in July 2016 or July 2017 to suggest they'd be challenging for the All-Ireland?

James Kielt had one kick of the ball to eliminate them in Castlebar last year and had he converted that free, Mayo would have been out, and people would have been saying "Mayo were at nothing this year".

In 2009 Sligo had a penalty to eliminate Kerry in a qualifier but missed it. It was in the middle of a run of three qualifier games where Kerry were deeply unimpressive. Yet Kerry went on to win the All-Ireland.

But those teams actually made finals, Mayo 2018 went out in the third round of the qualifiers, there's a very clear and easy distinction to be made. If Mayo had gone out to Derry last year then, yes, they would have been at nothing.
Could Mayo have rocked up today and performed better than Galway? Absolutely possible, we didn't put the bar too high to surpass to be honest.
However, I don't think that Mayo with Parsons out, the likes of Boyle, Moran, Higgins a year older and (particularly in the case of Boyle) not playing as well as they have previously could have beaten Dublin, I don't think the Mayo of 2018 would have won an All Ireland or got within a replay/point of Dublin.
If you think that Mayo would have sprung into life if they made the semi-finals this year, fine, it's wishful thinking in my (and it is only my) opinion.
The fact that Mayo reached an All-Ireland final and lost by one point against Dublin showed they were not at nothing.

The very high likelihood is that had it been Dublin v Mayo today, Mayo would have come a damn sight closer to beating Dublin, if they did not beat them.

They lost to Kildare in a ding donger, that's football, but it doesn't mean Kildare are a better team than Mayo, and as of right now, were I to choose any two teams to try and beat Dublin, it would be 1. Mayo and 2 Kerry.

straightred

Quote from: sid waddell on August 11, 2018, 11:16:25 PM

The fact that Mayo reached an All-Ireland final and lost by one point against Dublin showed they were not at nothing.

The very high likelihood is that had it been Dublin v Mayo today, Mayo would have come a damn sight closer to beating Dublin, if they did not beat them.

They lost to Kildare in a ding donger, that's football, but it doesn't mean Kildare are a better team than Mayo, and as of right now, were I to choose any two teams to try and beat Dublin, it would be 1. Mayo and 2 Kerry.
If my auntie had balls.........
Mayo this year were miles off Mayo last year so yes they would have got just as big a beating today IMO. Mayo need to find some young players and come again next year. This year is gone for them and they were only bit players

An Fhairche Abu

How can I possibly try and argue against speculation like that?

I wouldn't give the Mayo and Kerry teams of 2018 any chance of beating Dublin today but admittedly I only have those counties results and performances from this year to try and back up that notion.

sid waddell

Quote from: straightred on August 11, 2018, 11:27:28 PM

Mayo this year were miles off Mayo last year so yes they would have got just as big a beating today IMO. Mayo need to find some young players and come again next year. This year is gone for them and they were only bit players

What do you base that on?

Mayo this year in the Connacht championship and up to Round 3 of the qualifiers played at pretty much exactly the same level as they did in the 2016 and 2017 championships up to that point.

sid waddell

Quote from: An Fhairche Abu on August 11, 2018, 11:31:37 PM

How can I possibly try and argue against speculation like that?

I wouldn't give the Mayo and Kerry teams of 2018 any chance of beating Dublin today but admittedly I only have those counties results and performances from this year to try and back up that notion.
But sure based on that logic, Mayo 2016 and 2017 would have been beaten out the gate by Dublin.

macdanger2

Dunno why Mayo are being dragged into this conversation, we lost in the qualifiers this year because we weren't good enough. The only reason for mentioning us imo is from a s&c point of view, we're one of the very few teams who come close to Dublin.

Tbh, the game today reminded me of our sf v kerry in 2011 when we were beaten from a long way out but didn't get hammered. Galway have more expectancy now than we had then though. Galway have a decent age profile like we had then

straightred

Quote from: sid waddell on August 11, 2018, 11:32:13 PM

Mayo this year in the Connacht championship and up to Round 3 of the qualifiers played at pretty much exactly the same level as they did in the 2016 and 2017 championships up to that point.
I base it on the same guesswork that you're doing. Mayo were beaten by Kildare who subsequently lost all 3 of their super 8 games. Its not a great form line is it ?

An Fhairche Abu

If you want to go thinking Mayo could have won the All Ireland this year fair play to your imagination sid, I genuinely don't care.

sid waddell

Quote from: straightred on August 11, 2018, 11:36:56 PM

I base it on the same guesswork that you're doing. Mayo were beaten by Kildare who subsequently lost all 3 of their super 8 games. Its not a great form line is it ?
Last year Mayo lost to Galway who went on to be destroyed by Roscommon. Galway were destroyed by Kerry. Yet Mayo then beat Kerry.

Formlines are not everything, they rarely are. If formlines mattered that much, Tyrone should hardly bother turning up tomorrow as Monaghan have already beaten them in the championship.

Certain teams have an ability to up their game when they need to.

I'm still waiting for anybody to tell me why Mayo wouldn't have done at least considerably better than Galway today. They wouldn't have faded out straight after half-time, for a start.

straightred

Quote from: sid waddell on August 11, 2018, 11:43:08 PM
Quote from: straightred on August 11, 2018, 11:36:56 PM

Last year Mayo lost to Galway who went on to be destroyed by Roscommon. Galway were destroyed by Kerry. Yet Mayo then beat Kerry.

Formlines are not everything, they rarely are. If formlines mattered that much, Tyrone should hardly bother turning up tomorrow as Monaghan have already beaten them in the championship.

Certain teams have an ability to up their game when they need to.

I'm still waiting for anybody to tell me why Mayo wouldn't have done at least considerably better than Galway today. They wouldn't have faded out straight after half-time, for a start.
Why am i even responding.....
It's knock out football and they were knocked out. You can't go speculating about Mayo and what might have been and expect the rest of us to agree. We dont have to tell you why Mayo wouldn't have done well in just the same way as we don't have to explain why Antrim wouldn't have done well. Both are gone and you need to get over it.

Rossfan

Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM