Armagh V Cavan - Ulster Championship - 15th June 2008

Started by AFS, April 22, 2008, 01:32:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Our Nail Loney

armagh 13-9 now, steven kernan point, having a really good game he is

Our Nail Loney

heganboy

armagh vs down in 2 weeks- there'll be rows in this house.

Cavan keeper kept them in it...
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

superblues

does anyone else think seanie johnston could be in trouble for the elbow he threw back it will tell us if the boys in the suits are doing there job right it was no differant than Cole's last week i not saying he should but just asking for consistiney

dec

Quote from: heganboy on June 15, 2008, 05:19:27 PM
armagh vs down in 2 weeks- there'll be rows in this house.

Cavan keeper kept them in it...
Should be a good game, I have always thought Down were a bigger rivalry than Tyrone.

Do you think you will make it out to Fiona's for the game heganboy?

BallyhaiseMan

well it was what we expected,

First of all Hats off to Paul McGrane for a man of 33/34 he gave an exhibition of high fielding,

a man of 33/34 going up 3 or 4 inches above a young man of 21 in Michael McDonald really shows what is lacking in Cavan Football.

From a Cavan point of view, James Reily was tremendous, his shot stopping was brilliant, his short kickouts effective and to be fair he only kicked 1 or 2 that went straight to Armagh.

Cavan Full Back line done as well as they possibely could with a dominant Armagh midfield.Podge and Hannon were roasted at times when left 1 on 1,but with such midfield dominance like Armagh had,Nothing they could do about it.

Rory Dunne was really up against it with Stephen Kernans mobility and all round ability, Kernan kicked at least 0-2 from play and was very good.Dunne wasnt at the races.

Half back line, Barry Watters wasnt at the races, Forde was somewhat effective dropping in front of Clarke and McDonnell. Martin Cahill was ok,Paddy McKeever his opponent wasnt in the game.

Midfield, A Game of musical chairs, McDonald replaced by Mulvey who was then replaced by McDonald. Neither of them done a thing.

Mark McKeever couldnt compete with McGrane aerially and was moved off him, He was very good from general play and got on alot of ball.

Martin Reily, scored a good point,but was generally ineffective before being replaced,Too Light for this level,needs to bulk up.

Ronan Flanagan,Poor first half at CHF but was good when moved Corner Forward where he won a sight of ball on Fininan Moriarty,didnt get much support though.

Cian Mackey,Mixed the good and the bad, two good points,and carried the ball well,yet done some stupid things aswell.

Seanie Johnston, Kept quiet by Mallon in first half, only scored 1 free in first half, Very good in the second half, and took the fight to Armagh kicking points from play and frees. Hes the real deal as he showed in the second half.

Dermot McCabe,Caused problems for Bellew everytime the ball went in, which wasnt nearly enough, good from frees and scored a point from play.

Jason Reily, totally ineffective.

Subs, Sean Brady  should have started,made a difference when he came on.

Lorcan Mulvey, enough said.

Eddie Reily, no ball went in to him.

Dermot Sheridan,only a blood sub.

For Armagh,

Hearty Solid enough in goals
Andy Mallon done well on Johnston,even though Johnston was very influential the second half and ended up with 0-7
Bellew was in Trouble everytime the ball went into McCabe,which wasnt enough from a Cavan point of view.
Moriarty was in trouble with Ronan Flanagan when he was moved into corner forward.Flanagan won a sight of ball.
Charlie Vernon was very good going forward kicking good scores and carrying powerfully, he wasnt really tested defensively though.
Aidan O Rourke was very good at Centre Half back and won a lot of ball dropping in front of Johnston and McCabe.
McKeever also good.
McGrane, Man of the Match,Majestic display of fielding.
Toner,Also very good game,Fielding outstanding and good on the ball.
Aaron Kernan,Only McGrane was so outstanding, would have been my vote for MOTM,He was everywhere,Carried well,Tackled well,Passed well, worked hard. Terrific performance.
Martin O Rourke, covered off the defense well and was good in overall play,Not his best game for Armagh but he was solid.
Paddy McKeever,Thought he done nothing to be honest and was lucky to remain on the field for so long.
Stevie McDonald,Won every ball that came into him,and kicked some great scores,should have had at least 1 goal aswell.
Ronan Clarke,outstanding aswell,very sharp looking,Great in the air and very accurate especially in the first half.
Stephen Kernan,Very good,kicked two points and was full of energy and gave his marker a horrid time.

If i were an Armagh man id be worried about Moriarty and Bellew in the Full Back line against the likes of McCumiskey,Danny Hughes and Benny Coulter,as i didnt think either were very good today.
Your midfield will hardly get the same dominance against Dan Gordon and Co.
All in all no complaints,the much better team won, and Best of luck against Down.

orangeman

Why did Cavan take a midfielder off after 22 minutes, put on Lorcan Mulvey and then put the man they took off back on again for Lorcan Mulvey ??

What's going on there ?

Were there no other subs ?

BallyhaiseMan

Quote from: orangeman on June 15, 2008, 06:51:05 PM
Why did Cavan take a midfielder off after 22 minutes, put on Lorcan Mulvey and then put the man they took off back on again for Lorcan Mulvey ??

What's going on there ?

Of Course there were

we had Nicholas Walsh sitting there who  at least  wouldnt have accepted getting outfielded by McGrane time after time.

What can we say? Our Manager isnt the Brightest ;)

orangeman

Quote from: BallyhaiseMan on June 15, 2008, 06:53:13 PM

What's going on there ?

Of Course there were

we had Nicholas Walsh sitting there who could at least  wouldnt have accepted getting outfielded by McGrane time after time.

Banty Mc Eneaney did the same thing with Rory Woods a few weeks ago against Fermanagh - there must be more in that school as well as Donal - Mickey Harte did it lst night with Kevin Hughes.

BallyhaiseMan

Quote from: orangeman on June 15, 2008, 06:54:52 PM
Quote from: BallyhaiseMan on June 15, 2008, 06:53:13 PM

What's going on there ?

Of Course there were

we had Nicholas Walsh sitting there who could at least  wouldnt have accepted getting outfielded by McGrane time after time.

Banty Mc Eneaney did the same thing with Rory Woods a few weeks ago against Fermanagh - there must be more in that school as well as Donal - Mickey Harte did it lst night with Kevin Hughes.

Its a sign of  Management failure when you have to resort to substituting your substitutes(obviously injury being excpetions). Notice all 3 of those teams that you mentioned(including us) lost!

Dubh driocht

As the entire  Armagh management and team claimed they weren't sure who won the game last night, the answer is Down.
In fact someone has already started a thread on the semi-final.
It seems that the little book of instructions for 'group-think' issued under the Kernan era has continued.Soooooo last century.

Donagh

Quote from: Dubh driocht on June 15, 2008, 07:49:30 PM
It seems that the little book of instructions for 'group-think' issued under the Kernan era has continued.Soooooo last century.

Just like Championship winning Down teams then...

Orior

Thankfully our full back line did well and Hearty wasnt tested. There's obviously room for improvement as they gave away 13 points.

Half backs, midfield and half forwards worked well, great industry and Michael O'Rourke.

The full forward line are natural point takers but not goal scorers. As far as I could tell every chance was blasted straight at the keeper. S Kernan learned from this and did try to jink the keeper but he did well to save that one. Maybe they'd all be better picking their spot left or right.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Real1995

Great to see such a massive crowd there 2day...match started very quietly though..was disappointed not to see a band there 2day, i usually enjoy the parade (think it gets the crowd going) instead we had bloody Malachi Cushe..ahhhhhh...tell u what that music was soo annoying and loud, Jasus i sound like my mother ;D

Was impressed with obviously McDonnell, Clarke, SK, Toner, Mallon but my God McGrane was something else today...if we have to take one big positive out of 2day it has to be Midfield, it was a big worry to us al during the league,so i hope it continues.....  to sum it up i fell we played in 3rd / 4th gear at times, this bunch is capable of more so the future is bright...dont book ur hols jus yet
Nice guys always finish second!