Mayo v Armagh- Round 3 Qualifier

Started by Mayo4Sam14, June 24, 2019, 11:42:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gold

I really hope that Armagh team sticks together. Clarke has to stay. They could challeenge seriously for an Ulster zTitle next year i think. Great to watch.

Serious amount of turnovers...workrate immense. They were better than Mayo today, rode by the ref. Gutted
"Cheeky Charlie McKenna..."

macdanger2

Good game overall, is Keegan's injury bad?

Surprised that nobody has mentioned all the cheap turnovers Mayo coughed up late in the first half, 3 easy points not taken and the ball taken into contact instead

MayoBuck

A few thoughts after that...
Very entertaining to watch. The big crowd made for a great atmosphere. I saw Conor Cox of Roscommon at the game and Stephen Rochford was on the pitch at the end.

Our match ups were wrong at the start. Harrison wasn't strong enough for Rian O'Neill and Higgins was getting a bit of a roasting from Grugan. Horan was proactive with this in fairness, putting Keegan back on O'Neill and moving Keith to half back. I feel that's the only position for Keith these days. Keegan a big loss but Stephen Coen did quite well defensively as a replacement. Boyle had his best game in ages.

We were well beaten in midfield. Don't want to bring the debate up again but Clarke's long kickouts are a lottery at best. In fact, they probably favour the opposition. I know he ran down a few blind alleys but Mikey Murray will be a quality player in time. Has a great side step.

Fionn McDonagh had a great opening but took too much out of the ball in the 2nd half. Surprised Andy got hooked so early after setting up the goal but McLoughlin made a big difference in the 2nd half. You'd wonder how the last 2 management teams deemed Darren Coen surplus to requirements...

A lot of people giving out about the ref but Armagh got 2 very soft frees towards the end of the game. The Armagh #7 was harassing Loftus on all 3 of his frees in the 1st half. He was the reason the scuffle broke out at half time. Delighted he got caught for tripping McLoughlin to bring that free forward in the 2nd half.

Hard to know where we'll go from here with all the injuries. Hopefully we avoid Galway in the draw.

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: MayoBuck on June 30, 2019, 02:03:35 AM
Hard to know where we'll go from here with all the injuries. Hopefully we avoid Galway in the draw.

Mayo are due a win against Galway. No win at any level in 4 years against them. And the rumours from the Galway camp aren't great from what I hear.

MayoBuck

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on June 30, 2019, 02:26:16 AM

Mayo are due a win against Galway. No win at any level in 4 years against them. And the rumours from the Galway camp aren't great from what I hear.

I'd still want to avoid ye if possible. It would be an extremely long winter if we finish with another loss to Galway.

As an aside, apparently we took 8 shots at goal in the 2nd half and scored 1-7. When Donie Vaughan is clipping them over off his left things are going well!

tonto1888

Quote from: under the bar on June 30, 2019, 01:23:02 AM
Quote from: sidelineball on June 30, 2019, 12:45:45 AM

https://twitter.com/untitledgaa/status/1145044385484218368?s=21

That crosses the line. Filthy act and not one player steps in to prevent it. Shameful day for Armagh football.

Catch yourself on. It was a wee push in the back. That video doesn't show any context at all. We have no idea what went on before hand

tonto1888

Quote from: whitey on June 30, 2019, 12:17:42 AM
For Cillian O Connors last free, anyone see the stamp on McLoughlin after he was fouled

Very sneaky and lucky for Armagh that lad didn't get a red card

That was Donaghy. Normally I would give him the benefit of the doubt and say it was accidental but after the draw against Cavan it is a lot harder to do so

Farrandeelin

Good lively game with plenty of scores. Ref was Maurice Deegan, if ever there was a home town ref it was him.

Mayo very very lucky to be in the draw. I hate the word turnover as I prefer to use give the ball away or lose the ball. Christ almighty Mayo were criminal at it last night. I don't know how many times I fucked at them for doing it. You'd swear we lost.

We didn't however. Clarke had a great game, brilliant save to push the ball into the post. Commands the area far better than Hennelly. Seriously worried about our full back line. Barrett has lost so much pace it's frightening. Harrison has had three terrible games. Higgins is where he is at 34 years of age. Keegan, Boyle and Durcan had good games. Boyle was mighty, glad to be proven wrong when I criticise him so often. Hope Keegsn's injury isn't too serious but he'll hardly start next week. O'Shea and Murray were ok in midfield. Doherty's best game in a while, scored a great point. McDonagh started well but faded again. Loftus seemed to do ok. Treacy was poor, thought he should've been subbed instead of Andy. Andy did Ok, but management thought otherwise. Coen was brilliant.

McLoughlin was immense. Took his goal wonderfully with his right foot. Boland didn't do much I thought. Coen the cousin, lesser said the better. Vaughan did well too. Scored a point too. Regan not on long enough etc.

Hanging in there. Just.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Angelo

Very entertaining to watch. The big crowd made for a great atmosphere. I saw Conor Cox of Roscommon at the game and Stephen Rochford was on the pitch at the end.

Our match ups were wrong at the start. Harrison wasn't strong enough for Rian O'Neill and Higgins was getting a bit of a roasting from Grugan. Horan was proactive with this in fairness, putting Keegan back on O'Neill and moving Keith to half back. I feel that's the only position for Keith these days. Keegan a big loss but Stephen Coen did quite well defensively as a replacement. Boyle had his best game in ages.

We were well beaten in midfield. Don't want to bring the debate up again but Clarke's long kickouts are a lottery at best. In fact, they probably favour the opposition. I know he ran down a few blind alleys but Mikey Murray will be a quality player in time. Has a great side step.

Fionn McDonagh had a great opening but took too much out of the ball in the 2nd half. Surprised Andy got hooked so early after setting up the goal but McLoughlin made a big difference in the 2nd half. You'd wonder how the last 2 management teams deemed Darren Coen surplus to requirements...

A lot of people giving out about the ref but Armagh got 2 very soft frees towards the end of the game. The Armagh #7 was harassing Loftus on all 3 of his frees in the 1st half. He was the reason the scuffle broke out at half time. Delighted he got caught for tripping McLoughlin to bring that free forward in the 2nd half.

Armagh got a few soft scorable frees alright but it wasn't those type of decisions that were the issue.

I felt all game long Deegan would blow for a Mayo free 3 or 4 seconds before he blew for an Armagh one. In the first half he blew up Burns for overcarrying when he had barely taken his 4 steps and then dropped the ball once he got surround, in contrast he allowed Mayo players loads of time to play the ball when they became bottled up.

Armagh have been quite indisciplined in recent years, their tackling has left a lot to be desired but I though they were superb in both those aspects yesterday and did loads of good work with tackling and turnovers only for Deegan to wrongly blow for a Mayo free. The ball then went up the other end of the pitch and he was far more lenient with what he would let go.

There weren't any big decisions that really went against either side but he was refereeing both sides under different rules which is the most frustrating aspect for the players.
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

balladmaker

Quote from: Angelo on June 30, 2019, 08:59:11 AM

Armagh got a few soft scorable frees alright but it wasn't those type of decisions that were the issue.

I felt all game long Deegan would blow for a Mayo free 3 or 4 seconds before he blew for an Armagh one. In the first half he blew up Burns for overcarrying when he had barely taken his 4 steps and then dropped the ball once he got surround, in contrast he allowed Mayo players loads of time to play the ball when they became bottled up.

Armagh have been quite indisciplined in recent years, their tackling has left a lot to be desired but I though they were superb in both those aspects yesterday and did loads of good work with tackling and turnovers only for Deegan to wrongly blow for a Mayo free. The ball then went up the other end of the pitch and he was far more lenient with what he would let go.

There weren't any big decisions that really went against either side but he was refereeing both sides under different rules which is the most frustrating aspect for the players.

Agreed.  Because of Armagh's reputation of giving away easy frees due to indiscipline, bad tackling, refs. now feel that they have to blow an Armagh foul much easier .... absolute joke and was on view for all to see in MacHale Park last night.

Deegan needs called out on these decisions, there was just something not right with his performance last night. 

Anyway, if Armagh had taken their second half goal chances, and other missed opportunities, they'd have won it very handy irrespective of the ref.

Owen Brannigan

Armagh have had their critics within and outside the county in relation to their tackling.  Last night they answered those critics, tacking has improved and the number of turnovers is evidence of some great work.

Likewise, McGeeney has been criticised for his game plan and the style of play but this championship run has shown that he has evolved the style of play to one which is very effective.  He has never been a lucky manager and that Armagh team would have beaten any of the other four teams playing last night, Offaly, Laois, Westmeath and Clare.  They would have been different games but Armagh are a top ahead of them.  Similarly, given the poor display by Kildare, Armagh would have been fit for them.

Each year we see the qualifier draws produce some level of head scratching when games for TV seem to be drawn. With all the changes to the championship being proposed and based on league performance, surely a the time for seeding the draws is here.  Each qualifier draw should be abandoned and the 8/16 teams ranked according to league position and then automatically have 1 play 8, 2 play 6, etc.  Make the league count even more in the knockout competition and avoid elimination of better teams while weaker move on the the next round on a supposedly random basis.

We now look forward to some very lopsided games in the Super 8s when the top teams separate each other by how much they thump the weak sides thrown up by the qualifier draw.

If it sounds like sour grapes, believe it.

Gold

Quote from: balladmaker on June 30, 2019, 09:39:23 AM

Agreed.  Because of Armagh's reputation of giving away easy frees due to indiscipline, bad tackling, refs. now feel that they have to blow an Armagh foul much easier .... absolute joke and was on view for all to see in MacHale Park last night.

]Deegan needs called out on these decisions, there was just something not right with his performance last night.

Anyway, if Armagh had taken their second half goal chances, and other missed opportunities, they'd have won it very handy irrespective of the ref.

Totally agree

I am neutral but have a soft spot for Mayo. Have loved watching them  and especially Andy Moran, who is class personified. I feet they were best placed to challenge Dublin so wanted them in the Super 8s....but when the game started and those decisions did i actually thought there was something fishy about it...it was that bad. Like even at 1 stage Deegan blew for a square ball on ONeill...the ball was only kicked towards him and he wasnt in the square. That incident with Burns.....but the move forward frees are the same as giving a team a point. All teams are at thst holding etc....it was purely being selective and akin to just deciding "Mayo will win this"

Sticks in the craw of the neutral. That Armagh team has serious pace and play lovely football. The move for the goal, Clarkes scores, his goal attempt (no other keeper in the country wouldve saved it....class from D Clarke), Campbells scores, Grugans and ONeills,the interplay were like heroin...as good as youll see in our game. Mayos best moves were Morans ball for the goal and Coens class scores. Other than that they were poor to watch. Good ball for McLoughlins point (from another non free btw) but i think his goal was lucky...fair play he took on Donaghy but i actually think his right footed shot was just slapping his leg at it and may have even been a point attempt.

Gutted for Armagh. Hate that Clarke is away to London and may not Be back next year. He was such a loss last year. I thougnt he was ok in the 1st half, winning ball but couldnt get shot off...that happens. The pace and workrate of Hall and Nugent alied to the class of Clarke, ONeill and Campbell....leaves Armagh with  as good a forward line as there is anywhere
"Cheeky Charlie McKenna..."

tonto1888

Deegan needs called out on these decisions, there was just something not right with his performance last night. 

Agree with all of this. I posted earlier in the week about refs giving frees against us that other teams don't get given against them

Anyway, we did have the chances to win that game and had we won you wouldn't have said it was undeserved. We didn't take those chances and that cost us a lot more than the ref. This one will take a while to get over

tonto1888

Quote from: Gold on June 30, 2019, 10:01:03 AM

]Deegan needs called out on these decisions, there was just something not right with his performance last night.

Totally agree

I am neutral but have a soft spot for Mayo. Have loved watching them  and especially Andy Moran, who is class personified. I feet they were best placed to challenge Dublin so wanted them in the Super 8s....but when the game started and those decisions did i actually thought there was something fishy about it...it was that bad. Like even at 1 stage Deegan blew for a square ball on ONeill...the ball was only kicked towards him and he wasnt in the square. That incident with Burns.....but the move forward frees are the same as giving a team a point. All teams are at thst holding etc....it was purely being selective and akin to just deciding "Mayo will win this"

Sticks in the craw of the neutral. That Armagh team has serious pace and play lovely football. The move for the goal, Clarkes scores, his goal attempt (no other keeper in the country wouldve saved it....class from D Clarke), Campbells scores, Grugans and ONeills,the interplay were like heroin...as good as youll see in our game. Mayos best moves were Morans ball for the goal and Coens class scores. Other than that they were poor to watch. Good ball for McLoughlins point (from another non free btw) but i think his goal was lucky...fair play he took on Donaghy but i actually think his right footed shot was just slapping his leg at it and may have even been a point attempt.

Gutted for Armagh. Hate that Clarke is away to London and may not Be back next year. He was such a loss last year. I thougnt he was ok in the 1st half, winning ball but couldnt get shot off...that happens. The pace and workrate of Hall and Nugent alied to the class of Clarke, ONeill and Campbell....leaves Armagh with  as good a forward line as there is anywhere

I don't see why he won't be back. It certainly hasn't been mentioned. Also, Harrison from down plays his club football for Neasden Gaels and has no problem playing with down