TV Show recommendations

Started by Archie Mitchell, June 23, 2009, 11:32:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SouthOfThe Bann

Quote from: SouthOfThe Bann on March 21, 2024, 05:15:59 PMJust Finished True Detective Season 1.

Exceptionally good.

Would anyone advise me is it worth persisting with into Season Two considering the series are unrelated and Woody Harrellson and Matthew McConnaughey are no longer in it.

Just scrolled back a few pages apparently not worth watching haha

quit yo jibbajabba

bennydorano

3 body problem on Netflix. Proper make you think Sci Fi, only 2 episodes in but I'm hooked.

Main Street

Quote from: bennydorano on March 23, 2024, 02:37:04 PM3 body problem on Netflix. Proper make you think Sci Fi, only 2 episodes in but I'm hooked.
Looks interesting  but I'll listen to the audio books first.

thewobbler

Shõgun is genuinely brilliant so far.

nrico2006

Watched first half an hour of 3 Body Problem and turned it off as it seemed crap and thought it was one of those multiple, universe inside universe shows like Inception or something. Nothing else to watch last night so stuck on the rest and ended up watching 4 of them. Turning out very good.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

bennydorano

Quote from: nrico2006 on March 24, 2024, 10:11:18 AMWatched first half an hour of 3 Body Problem and turned it off as it seemed crap and thought it was one of those multiple, universe inside universe shows like Inception or something. Nothing else to watch last night so stuck on the rest and ended up watching 4 of them. Turning out very good.
Binged it all, excellent Sci fi, but I do think it'll be niche enough and not mainstream. 2 more original books in the series and I read an article already that Netflix haven't committed to the trilogy; costs are huge and they're waiting on reviews / reception data coming in.

Shamrock Shore

3 Body Problem is.....deliciously bonkers

nrico2006

Finished 3 Body Problem too, brilliant show and something a bit different too.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Saffrongael

Quote from: J70 on March 18, 2024, 02:25:39 PMFinished two series over the weekend.

Masters of the Air – thought it was very well done, especially the air mission stuff. Those guys were put through the ringer. Robert Rosenthal ended up doing 52 B-17 missions, shot down three times, survived, and was part of the Nuremburg prosecution team!

The Dynasty – the series about the NE Patriots, or more specifically, Belichick and Brady. Not quite as in depth as something like The Last Dance, but I'd definitely recommend it. Bellichick comes across as an iron-fisted, emotionless genius for much of it (e.g. the 2019 Superbowl where he completely shut down the Rams powerhouse offense), which makes the Eagles Superbowl loss even more strange when he cruelly benched Malcolm Butler for not apparent tactical reason. Brady is a bit more open in his revelations, and quite likeable. You watch it and wonder what would have happened to Aaron Hernandez if he'd been drafted by a west coast team or if, later on, Bellichick had allowed him to be traded out west when he told him he needed to get away from New England and his old associates.

Obviously Bellichick had to be included but he added absolutely zero, just the usual "did whats best for the team". A wasted opportunity though I believe he has a book in the pipeline so maybe saving it for that
Let no-one say the best hurlers belong to the past. They are with us now, and better yet to come

lurganblue

A Gentleman in Moscow. Only the 1st episode out so far but I thought it was excellent and hope that continues. I read the book years ago and thoroughly enjoyed that.

J70

The Truth v Alex Jones on HBO Max

A fairly hard watch given the still shocking tragedy it's about, and overall a depressing reflection of today's society, but really well done.

The man is lower than pond scum.

Main Street

Quote from: lurganblue on April 02, 2024, 03:28:12 PMA Gentleman in Moscow. Only the 1st episode out so far but I thought it was excellent and hope that continues. I read the book years ago and thoroughly enjoyed that.
The TV dramatisation is a credit to the book, a great watch.

Ed Ricketts

Finished 3 Body Problem the other night. Completely daft, dreadfully written, and with a whole lot of really hammy ITV drama level acting.

But I'm quite interested in seeing what happens next. A TV show equivalent of a Dan Brown book.
Doc would listen to any kind of nonsense and change it for you to a kind of wisdom.

Tony Baloney

One episode and a bit into Ripley and the casting of Freddie Miles has put me right off. The black and white noir cinematography worked really well in the NYC scenes but really want to see some blue skies and sea in Italy!