The biggest overachievers - players - Hurling & Football

Started by Stranworst, May 29, 2007, 07:18:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stranworst

Just the same as the other thread except this is for players which you think have OVER achieved.

I'll start the ball rolling with Paddy McKeever, have never rated him and he's got a bag of medals.

CiKe

He would be near the top of my list as well can't understand it. Nearly fell off my stool the other day when I saw he was 27. Armagh will have at least one useless half forward for a few years yet.

As I stated on the Meath v Dublin thread, will never understand how Paul Casey gets his game. They may not have won anything but for a footballer of his (lack of) calibre he's done awful well

StoneWall

How Fergal Kelly played in the 2004 All Ireland final for Mayo I'll never know!

AZOffaly

I prefer this sort of thread to the under achievers one.

If we are talking about someone with little enough talent who has made themselves into an established inter county player with a pile of medals by maximising their effort, desire and cuteness, then I'd say Francie Bellew.

ExiledGael

That's an interesting definition of overachievement AZ!
If that logic is applied to soccer then Roy Keane was a huge over achiever
Anyway enough soccer talk, Kieran McGeeney could probably be added to that criteria, indeed you could just apply it to any hard working player, Dooher etc and countless others, not sure that's fair

Stranworst

I wouldn't include Keane or McGeeney in this sorta vein of thought. They were both great leaders and players.

The thread isn't for just pointing out hard working players or players with a perceived lack of skill, sure most of the defenders in the country are hardly brimming with skill now are they?

We're talking about players who have regularly togged out and their teams done well, whereby they haven't really performed well or anything.

Basically the hangers on who just get by doing nothing good whereas others round them excel.

Or whatever your own criteria is.... Gonna be some arguments that's for sure!

AZOffaly

Ah sorry. You mean passengers on winning teams? As in a Djimi Traore type GAA player?

I don't normally like these sort of threads, like the Underachievers one. But if pressed for an example I'd probably say a few of the Clare forwards from 1995-1997.

new devil

mark harte-tyrone... how did that man get an all ireland medal.... O thats right!!!

stephenite

Ray Silke - extremley limited footballer in terms of pure ability. Committed hard worker who captained club and county to All Irelands in the same season

belleaqua

Quote from: stephenite on May 29, 2007, 11:49:18 PM
Ray Silke - extremley limited footballer in terms of pure ability. Committed hard worker who captained club and county to All Irelands in the same season

From a Galway perspective-agreed!

GalwayBayBoy

I knew Silke's name would crop up before long. ;D

And now he's graduated to being a pundit.

thewobbler

The Real SlimShady

Almost every Armagh player from the AI ainning side not from Crossmaglen.