Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

imtommygunn

Othar - here's my viewpoint...

McGreevey - nothing much to do at all. Kickouts solid.
Dermot McCann - again not much to do. Honestly my jury would still be out on him but would like to see him tested more.
Douglas - I think, think, he was marking Carson. Did not bad - marshalled him well but Carson won a few balls of him.
O'Boyle - scored a cracking point. Decent enough fom play but not tested.
Loughrey - some great runs and brilliant catch near the posts in the second half. Good player.
Crozier - Poor game from him.
O'Hagan - ok but not great. Probably be good back-up.
Herron - impressed by him. Big strong and can take a catch.
McCann - Quiet for his standards but still very good.
Scullion - while listed at HF he was basically playing as a spare defender. The usual from him - some outstanding runs. The odd bad kick pass.
Tomas McCann - Some great runs. Better suited to the wing but caused Fermanagh quite a few problems.
Close - excellent on the ball. A good game from him.
Cunningham - good game. Learning to kick from tight angles with the right too which is what's needed.
Magiill - won everything that went near him, linked well and kicked some good scores. MotM.
O'Boyle - found the going tough enough. I think he was marking Bogue who'd be one of the better Fermanagh defenders.

Murray - not bad. Looks like ina few years with a bit more bulk he coul dbe half decent.
Pollock - not on long enough.

Not sure any other subs came on.

imtommygunn

Hmm I thought he was better than McCann. The one doing the catching was the big no 12 who was quite possibly the worst player on a ball I have ever seen playing county football and wasn't in midfield...

Those Herrons are all reasonably athletic. Didn't think he stood out as particularly slow.

Minder

Have only ever really seen Herron hurl and he never struck me as slow. Maybe it is more apparent in football.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

imtommygunn

I would disagree too.

Biggest problem in midfield was that when the ball wasn't being won cleanly Fermanagh had more boys to clean it up. They had men behind the catchers and Antrim didn't.

That and the continual need to play a spare man in defense are two things I wouldn't be too keen on - we should be confident enough to go man to man. Still, can't knock it so far...

imtommygunn

He caught 3 or 4 balls,maybe more, in the match...

I thought it was more secondary than primary possession we struggled on.

McCann didn't win much clean. I'd still like ot see him CHF.

imtommygunn

Aidso Herron

Loughrey  M McCann  T McCann (O'Neill /Close as replacements)

Cunningham  Magill      CJ (If not enough bal winning ability Burke to come in - he did well last year. Still have reservations about Cunningham and McGourty on one team.)

Also ,in my opinion,a school of though for putting Loughrey to CHB and Crozier to RHF...

aontroim

I wouldnt be so hard on Justy for his performance the other night - he got battered a few times and each time it was about the head / face - had to come off in the end after shipping some hard knocks - i'm sure that had an affect on his below average performance.

imtommygunn

Only seen Herron once so wouldn't get too carried away yet. We need someone with more physical presence in midfield though. McKeever's size made some difference last year. The year before that Mulvey fella lorded it against us - mainly because he was so big. It doesn't look like Hasson is cutting it so I hope Herron does! Gallagher and McCann are good but I don't feel they're big enough to play together as a pair..

Crozier's a very good footballer. He's set the bar high so he'll be forgiven a bad game...

CentreHalfBack

This Sundays fixtures.

Lets try pridictions.

Ardoyne    v    Cargin 2
St. Endas    v    St. Galls 2
McDermotts    v    St. Agnes
Glenravel    v    St. Teresas
Tír Na nÓg    v    Eire Óg

Cargin 3    v    Creggan 2
Ballycastle    v    Glenavy 2
Portglenone 2    v    Rasharkin 2
St. Pauls 2    v    St. Brigids 2
St. Johns 2    v    O'Donnell's

St. Galls 3    v    All Saints 2
Lámh Dhearg 2    v    St. Malachys
Lisburn    v    Sarsfields 2
Moneyglass 2    v    St. Endas 2

Aldergrove 2    v    Dunloy 2
Antrim    v    Ahoghill 2
Tír Na nÓg 2    v    Mitchells

Dont know much about these divisions but thought I'd give it a go.

New season - new reason

aontroim

What the hell...why not for the craic!

DIV 3F

Ardoyne v Cargin 2
St. Endas v St. Galls 2
McDermotts v St. Agnes
Glenravel v St. Teresas
Tír Na nÓg v Eire Óg

DIV 4F

Cargin 3 v Creggan 2
Ballycastle v Glenavy 2
Portglenone 2 v Rasharkin 2
St. Pauls 2 v St. Brigids 2
St. Johns 2 v O'Donnell's

DIV 5F

St. Galls 3 v All Saints 2
Lámh Dhearg 2 v St. Malachys
Lisburn v Sarsfields 2
Moneyglass 2 v St. Endas 2

DIV 6F

Aghagallon 2 v Glenravel 2
Tir na Nog 2 v Aldergrove 2
Antrim v Ahoghill 2   
Dunloy 2 v Mitchels

Div 6 fixtures look to have changed CHB - Aghagallon & Glenravel now in the mix...fixtures on the county website Fixtures page.

bannside

Anyone on here headin to Hyde Park?

imtommygunn

16 - 14.

Great win - I thought that could have been a potenial banana skin for us.

Gold

"Cheeky Charlie McKenna..."

AZOffaly

I see CJ McGourty had a go at ye lads in the Sunday Tribune. Sauce for the Goose etc... Go away and get a real job :D

saffron sam2

Quote from: AZOffaly on March 15, 2010, 10:31:16 AM
I see CJ McGourty had a go at ye lads in the Sunday Tribune. Sauce for the Goose etc... Go away and get a real job :D

Aye, he appears to have taken time out from his "job" to go and play on a swing.

He probably won't have the tea ready for us for lunch either, so busy is he reading this board.

I noted the bard of dunclug defence as well.
the breathing of the vanished lies in acres round my feet